all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Saving all state, not just some of it
@ 2012-06-09 18:07 Kelly Dean
From: Kelly Dean @ 2012-06-09 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SessionManagement lists a lot of different options for saving some state. Some save the open file list, mark ring, kill ring, location of point, window config, etc. It appears none of them record whether the mark is active, or the scroll position of a buffer within a window (though this is approximated by saving point), or open help pages, or which help page within the history of followed hyperlinks is currently active, or open man pages, or the contents of the Messages buffer. Probably other things I can't think of right now are also not saved. When Emacs crashes, and I restart it, all of this information is gone. Or if I shut down Emacs on one computer, copy my files to another computer, and restart Emacs there, all of this information is gone.
Is there any way to tell Emacs to save all of its state, rather than just some of it?

only message in thread, other threads:[~2012-06-09 18:07 UTC | newest]