all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#11333: Whitespace mode says it's enabled, when it's really not
@ 2012-04-24 20:01 Kelly Dean
From: Kelly Dean @ 2012-04-24 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 11333

I'm using Emacs on X on Debian 6 Stable. emacs-version says GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0) of 2010-12-11 on raven, modified by Debian.
Steps to reproduce the bug:
Put in your init file just (global-whitespace-mode 1). Start Emacs.
Switch to the scratch buffer. The modeline says "Lisp Interaction WS". Type some whitespace which whitespace mode would highlight. Notice that it isn't highlighted. Do M-x global-whitespace-mode twice, to toggle it off and back on. Notice that the whitespace is now highlighted.
Make a new buffer. In the modeline it says "Fundamental WS". Type some whitespace. Same problem.
I'm told that in fundamental mode, Emacs intentionally doesn't enable global minor modes, because doing so would break things, which explains why it's initially disabled in your new buffer (though it doesn't explain why it's disabled in the scratch buffer, which isn't in fundamental mode). But if whitespace mode isn't enabled for a particular buffer, then putting "WS" in the modeline for that buffer is deceptive. It shouldn't do it.

* bug#11333: Whitespace mode says it's enabled, when it's really not
@ 2012-04-25  3:02 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2012-04-25  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kelly Dean; +Cc: 11333

Kelly Dean <kellydeanch@yahoo.com> writes:

> Put in your init file just (global-whitespace-mode 1). Start Emacs.
> Switch to the scratch buffer. The modeline says "Lisp Interaction
> WS". Type some whitespace which whitespace mode would
> highlight. Notice that it isn't highlighted.

Thanks for the bug report.  I can reproduce it in Emacs 23.4, but it
appears to be fixed already in the emacs-24 branch, so the fix will be
in the upcoming Emacs 24.1.

* bug#11333: Whitespace mode says it's enabled, when it's really not
@ 2012-06-02 21:56 ` Kelly Dean
From: Kelly Dean @ 2012-06-02 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 11333

This bug is reproducible on 24.1-rc1. (emacs-version reports "GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars) of 2012-06-01 on localhost").
The scratch buffer is no longer affected, but fundamental mode buffers still are.
Start Emacs with (global-whitespace-mode 1) in your init file, and type C-x b foo ret. Type some text with a space at the end, press enter, and notice it doesn't highlight the space, even though the modeline says "Fundamental WS".
 Toggle global whitespace mode off and back on, and the space is highlighted.

* bug#11333: Whitespace mode says it's enabled, when it's really not
@ 2017-04-28 22:01 ` Bartosz Duszel
From: Bartosz Duszel @ 2017-04-28 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 11333

Hello,
I tried to reproduce this issue on the current master branch but I failed. Maybe it is already fixed?

I am running:
GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin16.5.0, NS appkit-1504.82 Version 10.12.4 (Build 16E195)) of 2017-04-23

My init file has only one line as requested. It correctly marks whitespaces in the buffer and removes trailing spaces.

Can anyone double check this?

Best regards,
Bartosz Duszel

* bug#11333: Whitespace mode says it's enabled, when it's really not
@ 2017-04-29  2:43   ` npostavs
From: npostavs @ 2017-04-29  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bartosz Duszel; +Cc: 11333, Kelly Dean

fixed 11333 26.1
quit

Bartosz Duszel <dptdescribe@gmail.com> writes:

> I tried to reproduce this issue on the current master branch but I failed. Maybe it is already fixed?
>
> I am running:
> GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin16.5.0, NS appkit-1504.82 Version 10.12.4 (Build 16E195)) of 2017-04-23
>
> My init file has only one line as requested. It correctly marks whitespaces in the buffer and removes trailing spaces.
>
> Can anyone double check this?

It occurs in 25.2, but seems to be fixed in master.