all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help with Frame Size
@ 2009-05-22 23:22 Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-05-22 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Hello Everyone,

I want to have my default frame be 150xfullheight.  I know this has
been brought up here before.  I don't think it's ever necessarily been
answered satisfactorily.  I want the solution to work on both OS X
using macports's emacs-app package and GNU Emacs 22.3 windows distro
on Windows XP.

Thanks in advance!

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://burningones.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ - Spend less time on e-mail

* RE: Help with Frame Size
@ 2009-05-22 23:52 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-05-22 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tim Visher', 'emacs'

> I want to have my default frame be 150xfullheight.  I know this has
> been brought up here before.  I don't think it's ever necessarily been
> answered satisfactorily.  I want the solution to work on both OS X
> using macports's emacs-app package and GNU Emacs 22.3 windows distro
> on Windows XP.

Use `set-frame-size'. It takes a number of lines as its second arg. Use
`frame-char-height' to get the height of a single line, in pixels. Use
`x-display-pixel-height' to get the height of your screen, in pixels. With these
things, you should be able to do what you want.

If `winmgr-display-available-pixel-bounds' is defined on your platform, then see
(nth 3 (winmgr-display-available-pixel-bounds)). That might be what you want to
use, instead of `x-display-pixel-height'.

Library `fit-frame.el' uses these things - you can get an idea from its code.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/fit-frame.el

HTH.