all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs w,ith Ubuntu and Alt-arrow
@ 2011-12-03 21:36 Steve Prud'Homme
From: Steve Prud'Homme @ 2011-12-03 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I use emacs with Ubuntu in console mode (plain text, not windowed).
Also, i use the org mode.
I want to know how to avoid the console change with the shortcut
alt-arrow because the org mode use the M-Arrow shortcut.
Thanks

--
Posté par Steve Prud'Homme
sprudhom@gmail.com

* Re: Emacs w,ith Ubuntu and Alt-arrow
@ 2011-12-04  9:36 ` Valentin Baciu
From: Valentin Baciu @ 2011-12-04  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Steve Prud'Homme; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Steve Prud'Homme <sprudhom@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I use emacs with Ubuntu in console mode (plain text, not windowed).
> Also, i use the org mode.
> I want to know how to avoid the console change with the shortcut
> alt-arrow because the org mode use the M-Arrow shortcut.
> Thanks
>
> --
> Posté par Steve Prud'Homme
> sprudhom@gmail.com
> 514 466-3951

I cannot reproduce your problem in Ubuntu 11.11 but upgrading your
distribution may not the solution your are looking for :)

In my setup, I can edit the keyboard shortcuts for individual
applications using gconf-editor. Just look under the key
/apps/gnome-terminal/keybindings.

* Re: Emacs w,ith Ubuntu and Alt-arrow
@ 2011-12-04 20:15 ` Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2011-12-04 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Steve Prud'Homme, help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 16:36:33 -0500, "Steve Prud'Homme" <sprudhom@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I use emacs with Ubuntu in console mode (plain text, not windowed).
> Also, i use the org mode.
> I want to know how to avoid the console change with the shortcut
> alt-arrow because the org mode use the M-Arrow shortcut.
> Thanks

I can confirm on my 11.10 system that I have the same problem as you,
but I don't normally run emacs within a tty terminal, so it doesn't
affect me too badly.

Someone else seemed to think that a reinstall resolved this problem
for them on 11.04:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/47765/switching-tty-shortcut

I personally don't think a reinstall is a good solution, but it may be
worth asking the original poster to that thread (Sid) if the problem
recurred on 11.10.

J'espère que cela vous aide,
Jonathan
--
jjg: Jonathan J. Groll : groll co za
has_one { :blog => "http://bloggroll.com" }

* Re: Emacs w,ith Ubuntu and Alt-arrow
@ 2011-12-05 16:24 ` S Boucher
From: S Boucher @ 2011-12-05 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Steve Prud'Homme, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> I use emacs with Ubuntu in console mode (plain text, not windowed).
> Also, i use the org mode.

Do you mean you run emacs in a console without X?  If so, look at loadkeys, which should allow you to change the predefined bindings.

Or do you mean you run emacs inside of a gnome-terminal?   If so, look in the menu of gnome-terminal.  There's a way to configure the keybindings.