all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Updating to Emacs 24
@ 2011-10-05  0:01 Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2011-10-05  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi List,
I downloaded the Pretest version of Emacs 24, having Emacs 23.1.1
installed on Ubuntu. Before I mess up my whole configuration, I thought
I rather ask a few (quite basic) questions here:

1. do I have to uninstall Emacs 23.1.1 before installing Emacs 24?

2. I load most .el files from my .emacs.de, which is in my Dropbox-folder
and therefore accesible from my Linux and my Win 7 machine, and not from the
/usr/share/emacs directories - will this configuration be messed up by
the new installation?

3. should I change from Ubuntu 32 to 64, are there no problems with the
64bit version?

4. I would really like to try a minimal version of ubuntu 64 with stump-wm
and Emacs 24. Does anybody has experience with or even an example
configuration for this combination?

Thanks for any tips
Cheers

--
Thorsten

* Re: Updating to Emacs 24
@ 2011-10-05  0:23 ` Jeremiah Dodds
From: Jeremiah Dodds @ 2011-10-05  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
> I downloaded the Pretest version of Emacs 24, having Emacs 23.1.1
> installed on Ubuntu. Before I mess up my whole configuration, I thought
> I rather ask a few (quite basic) questions here:
>
> 1. do I have to uninstall Emacs 23.1.1 before installing Emacs 24?

If you're going to install emacs 24 system wide, it could be good idea
to uninstall it and
tell Ubuntu's package manager to ignore it for the time being. If you
don't, it *may* get
overwritten accidentally.

If you want to keep around, you could install 24 under your home directory.

> 2. I load most .el files from my .emacs.de, which is in my Dropbox-folder
> and therefore accesible from my Linux and my Win 7 machine, and not from the
> /usr/share/emacs directories - will this configuration be messed up by
> the new installation?

It should not.

> 3. should I change from Ubuntu 32 to 64, are there no problems with the
> 64bit version?

WRT Ubuntu, I don't know, but I've been running 24 from trunk on a 64
bit machine
with no problems for a while now. If you mean something else, could
you clarify your
question?

> 4. I would really like to try a minimal version of ubuntu 64 with stump-wm
> and Emacs 24. Does anybody has experience with or even an example
> configuration for this combination?

I don't, although you could just install a 64 bit server version and
work up from there.
If you'd like to try a clean minimal GNU/Linux setup, I'd recommend Arch.

HTH

* Re: Updating to Emacs 24
@ 2011-10-05 14:48 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-10-05 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.10.2011 02:01, schrieb Thorsten:
> Hi List,
> I downloaded the Pretest version of Emacs 24, having Emacs 23.1.1
> installed on Ubuntu. Before I mess up my whole configuration, I thought
> I rather ask a few (quite basic) questions here:
>
> 1. do I have to uninstall Emacs 23.1.1 before installing Emacs 24?
>
> 2. I load most .el files from my .emacs.de, which is in my Dropbox-folder
> and therefore accesible from my Linux and my Win 7 machine, and not from the
> /usr/share/emacs directories - will this configuration be messed up by
> the new installation?
>
> 3. should I change from Ubuntu 32 to 64, are there no problems with the
> 64bit version?
>
> 4. I would really like to try a minimal version of ubuntu 64 with stump-wm
> and Emacs 24. Does anybody has experience with or even an example
> configuration for this combination?
>
> Thanks for any tips
> Cheers

Hi,

should you have enough space: find it much more comfortable running
different Emacsen locally.

In some seldom cases loading a patched version from still another place.

Cheers,

Andreas

* Re: Updating to Emacs 24
@ 2011-10-05 15:14 ` S Boucher
From: S Boucher @ 2011-10-05 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> I downloaded the Pretest version of Emacs 24, having Emacs 23.1.1
> installed on Ubuntu. Before I mess up my whole configuration, I thought
> I rather ask a few (quite basic) questions here:
>
> 1. do I have to uninstall Emacs 23.1.1 before installing Emacs 24?

No.

mkdir /some/dir/for/emacs24
cd /some/dir/for/emacs24
mkdir soft
tar xzf emacs-24.tgz
cd emacs
./configure --prefix=`cd ../soft&&pwd`
make all
make install

Note: In the process of configuring you might have to install additional package using synaptic to be able to compile emacs.

Then run with /some/dir/for/emacs24/soft/bin/emacs

or do

export PATH=/some/dir/for/emacs24/soft/bin:$PATH
and run emacs

Caveats:
- you may or may not have problems with private .elc files
- maybe some config/data files might get upgrade to 24, and they might then not work if you go back to 23

I don't know how real those caveats are.

> 2. I load most .el files from my .emacs.de, which is in my Dropbox-folder
> and therefore accesible from my Linux and my Win 7 machine, and not from the
> /usr/share/emacs directories - will this configuration be messed up by
> the new installation?

See my caveats.  I can't answer with confidence on private config/data files.

> 3. should I change from Ubuntu 32 to 64, are there no problems with the
> 64bit version?

That seems unrelated to emacs.  But linux distros work quite well on 64bits... provided you have a 64bit processor :-)

* Re: Updating to Emacs 24
@ 2011-10-05 20:53   ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2011-10-05 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks to everyone for the help, I think I give Arch Linux a try and
then install Emacs 24 following the instructions.

Cheers
--
Thorsten