all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs as C++-IDE
@ 2011-05-05 14:40 Nicolas Neuss
From: Nicolas Neuss @ 2011-05-05 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

a question of interest [*] to the C++ programmers using Emacs.

I asked a C++ developer who had written up something about using
KDevelop as C++-IDE what were the advantages compared with Emacs, and he
answered as follows:

  http://www.dealii.org/~archiver/dealii/msg06854.html

Is his description adequate?  Or has Emacs comparable functionality
(maybe via TAGS, or others).

Nicolas

[*] I myself usually program in Common Lisp and do not have immediate
    use for the information.

* Re: Emacs as C++-IDE
@ 2011-05-05 20:59 ` Jorgen Grahn
From: Jorgen Grahn @ 2011-05-05 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 2011-05-05, Nicolas Neuss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a question of interest [*] to the C++ programmers using Emacs.
>
> I asked a C++ developer who had written up something about using
> KDevelop as C++-IDE what were the advantages compared with Emacs, and he
> answered as follows:
>
>   http://www.dealii.org/~archiver/dealii/msg06854.html
>
> Is his description adequate?  Or has Emacs comparable functionality
> (maybe via TAGS, or others).

He describes some of the things IDE people like to do, but doesn't
really contrast it with what Emacs does.

I don't know ... TAGS and dabbrev-expand seem to fill my needs in the
areas he describes[1].  I don't feel a need for popups telling me
which blanks to fill in -- if I need to, I find-tag into another
buffer where the definitions are, and type+dabbrev-expand the code.

He also lists the "project" concept as a positive thing, but fails to
explain *why*.  I have no idea why people find that useful; to me it
just seems to get in the way.  We already have version control + file
system + build system + TAGS to tell us what the sources are; why add
yet another layer?

[1] One exception: I'm not at all happy with how find-tag finds "foo",
    but isn't aware that I'm interested in Foo::foo(int) rather than
    Bar::foo() or char* foo(Baz*) ... or any of a dozen things called
    "foo".  This is something that C++ IDEs probably do a *lot* better
    than the stock etags program.  If there's a more context-aware
    TAGS for C++, I'm very interested to hear about it.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .  .
\X/     snipabacken.se>   O  o   .

* Re: Emacs as C++-IDE
@ 2011-09-04  7:55 ` a machine of awareness
From: a machine of awareness @ 2011-09-04  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nicolas Neuss <lastname@scipolis.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> a question of interest [*] to the C++ programmers using Emacs.
>
> I asked a C++ developer who had written up something about using
> KDevelop as C++-IDE what were the advantages compared with Emacs, and he
> answered as follows:
>
>   http://www.dealii.org/~archiver/dealii/msg06854.html
>
> Is his description adequate?  Or has Emacs comparable functionality
> (maybe via TAGS, or others).
>
> Nicolas
>
> [*] I myself usually program in Common Lisp and do not have immediate
>     use for the information.

oh,the description is no compete right.
Emacs can do all thing in
http://www.dealii.org/~archiver/dealii/msg06854.html thing,
and do better,more efficiency.
--
a machine of awareness
 Debian、Emacs+Gnus

* Re: Emacs as C++-IDE
@ 2011-09-04 10:16   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-09-04 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

a machine of awareness <machine.of.awareness@gmail.com> writes:

> Nicolas Neuss <lastname@scipolis.de> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> a question of interest [*] to the C++ programmers using Emacs.
>>
>> I asked a C++ developer who had written up something about using
>> KDevelop as C++-IDE what were the advantages compared with Emacs, and he
>> answered as follows:
>>
>>   http://www.dealii.org/~archiver/dealii/msg06854.html
>>
>> Is his description adequate?  Or has Emacs comparable functionality
>> (maybe via TAGS, or others).
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> [*] I myself usually program in Common Lisp and do not have immediate
>>     use for the information.
>>
> oh,the description is no compete right.
> Emacs can do all thing in
> http://www.dealii.org/~archiver/dealii/msg06854.html thing,
> and do better,more efficiency.

You have an example set up demonstrating this? Not just "cedet kind of
does it" but a working set up dealing with projects and type sensitive
completion as well as "referenced from"? Its a frequently asked
question.

* Re: Emacs as C++-IDE
@ 2011-09-04 10:48     ` a machine of awareness
From: a machine of awareness @ 2011-09-04 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Richard Riley.
Thank you question,I will think about it.
http://www.richardriley.net/
Is you Website?
--
a machine of awareness
 Debian、Emacs+Gnus

* Re: Emacs as C++-IDE
@ 2011-09-06 14:59   ` S Boucher
From: S Boucher @ 2011-09-06 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: a machine of awareness, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

From: Richard Riley @ 2011-09-07 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

S Boucher <stbya@yahoo.com> writes:

> [...]

+1. Such a shame because it seems to have so much potential. The
assume he hasn't used a modern IDE with all the code helpers etc which
are often now the norm and frequently invaluable when using large
library APIs or huge legacy code bases.

* Re: Emacs as C++-IDE
@ 2011-09-07 16:18     ` MBR
From: MBR @ 2011-09-07 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S Boucher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, a machine of awareness

On 9/6/2011 10:59 AM, S Boucher wrote:
> As for gud for debugging, I can't live without it, but it's not on par
> with what you'll find in, say, Eclipse.

In what way is GUD not on par with the debugging capabilities of
Eclipse?  I find Eclipse wastes screen real estate unnecessarily,
showing me lists of variables and all sorts of other things that I only
want to see when I ask to see them.  What debugging capabilities do you
use in Eclipse that aren't available in Emacs?

    Mark Rosenthal

* Re: Emacs as C++-IDE
@ 2011-09-07 17:05       ` S Boucher
From: S Boucher @ 2011-09-07 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MBR; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, a machine of awareness

>In what way is GUD not on par with the debugging capabilities of Eclipse?  I find Eclipse wastes screen real estate unnecessarily,

Note: I use gdb ui (multi-window)

Stability comes to mind.  gud sometimes get's confused with what is going on in the *gud* buffer, and the other gud windows get all out of wack.

When using multiple frame, gud is rather unintuitive as to where the new file gets shown.

You can't simply hover over a variable with the mouse to see it's value.

Debugging multiple processes is not well integrated in gud.

As for Eclipse's use of the screen real estate, there's plenty of flexibility to not display what you do not care for.

As I said, I'm a full time Emacs user, and have mostly been since as far back as Emacs 18.59... but I happen to enjoy a good visual integration of the debugger.

If you reduce the discussion to "capabilities", then the gdb command line is on par with Eclipse's "capabilities".  But I feel bad for the colleagues who use vim, and the gdb command line (and they feel a bit silly to be using the gdb command line).