all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Protecting buffers which aren't visiting files
@ 2010-10-24 12:01 Otto Maddox
From: Otto Maddox @ 2010-10-24 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use a lot of scratch buffers (which don't visit files), and I've lost
a lot of work due to accidentally quitting Emacs or killing those
buffers, because Emacs doesn't ask for confirmation. Is there a way of
configuring Emacs to treat buffers which don't visit files the same way
as file-visiting buffers, for this situation?

Thanks.

* Re: Protecting buffers which aren't visiting files
       [not found] <mailman.8.1288013451.788.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-10-25 13:41 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-10-25 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Otto Maddox" <ottomaddox@fastmail.fm> writes:

> I use a lot of scratch buffers (which don't visit files), and I've lost
> a lot of work due to accidentally quitting Emacs or killing those
> buffers, because Emacs doesn't ask for confirmation. Is there a way of
> configuring Emacs to treat buffers which don't visit files the same way
> as file-visiting buffers, for this situation?

I just create scratch _files_.

    C-x C-f scratch1.txt RET
         ^

instead of:

    C-x  b  scratch1.buf RET

@ 2010-10-25 14:04 ` Ralf Fassel
From: Ralf Fassel @ 2010-10-25 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* "Otto Maddox" <ottomaddox@fastmail.fm>
| buffers, because Emacs doesn't ask for confirmation. Is there a way of
| configuring Emacs to treat buffers which don't visit files the same way
| as file-visiting buffers, for this situation?

See variable 'buffer-offer-save':

Documentation:
Non-nil in a buffer means always offer to save buffer on exit.
Do so even if the buffer is not visiting a file.

HTH
R'

* Re: Protecting buffers which aren't visiting files
@ 2010-10-25 15:28 ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-10-25 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Otto Maddox" <ottomaddox@fastmail.fm> writes:

> I use a lot of scratch buffers (which don't visit files), and I've lost
> a lot of work due to accidentally quitting Emacs or killing those
> buffers, because Emacs doesn't ask for confirmation. Is there a way of
> configuring Emacs to treat buffers which don't visit files the same way
> as file-visiting buffers, for this situation?
>
> Thanks.

Actually I also did but nothing important luckily, I always saved
somewhere before...

I can't find any but there should be a variable somewhere to set this.
And I also always thought that those scratch buffers where saved
somewhere in /tmp, but I can't find that either...

* Re: Protecting buffers which aren't visiting files
@ 2010-10-25 15:37   ` Jeff Rancier
From: Jeff Rancier @ 2010-10-25 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andrea Crotti, help-gnu-emacs

Can you configure 'desktop' to save these buffers?

@ 2010-10-25 16:24 ` Arnaldo Mandel
From: Arnaldo Mandel @ 2010-10-25 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Otto Maddox <ottomaddox@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> I use a lot of scratch buffers (which don't visit files), and I've lost
> a lot of work due to accidentally quitting Emacs or killing those
> buffers, because Emacs doesn't ask for confirmation. Is there a way of
> configuring Emacs to treat buffers which don't visit files the same way
> as file-visiting buffers, for this situation?

There are lots of ways of implementing buffer-saving policies; quite
likely you don't want all
scratch buffers to ask to be saved (as per the buffer-offer-save local
variable).
Look up the command save-some-buffers in the elisp manual for the
route to solving your problem.

* RE: Protecting buffers which aren't visiting files
@ 2010-12-09 22:15   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-09 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Pascal J. Bourguignon', help-gnu-emacs

> I just create scratch _files_.
>     C-x C-f scratch1.txt RET
> instead of:
>     C-x  b  scratch1.buf RET

FWIW, me too, most of the time (but typically *.el).