all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Compile mode in emacs!!
@ 2007-03-27  8:18 elxsian
From: elxsian @ 2007-03-27  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

When I try to use the compile mode in emacs, it picks up the default gcc (/usr/bin/gcc). I need it to pick the gcc in a different location. How do I do that? I tried sourcing the path from the compile mode, but did not help.

Thanks in advance
Nazir

* Compile mode in emacs!!
@ 2007-03-27  8:20 elxsian
From: elxsian @ 2007-03-27  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

When I try to use the compile mode in emacs, it picks up the default gcc
(/usr/bin/gcc). I need it to pick the gcc in a different location. How do I
do that? I tried sourcing the path from the compile mode, but did not help.

Thanks
Nazir

* Re: Compile mode in emacs!!
@ 2007-03-27 12:10 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-03-27 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elxsian; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 27.03.2007 um 10:20 schrieb elxsian:

> When I try to use the compile mode in emacs, it picks up the
> default gcc
> (/usr/bin/gcc). I need it to pick the gcc in a different location.
> How do I
> do that?

Set path or PATH in the shell from which you launch GNU Emacs or in
your login shell accordingly. Or set an environment variable CC that
points to the compiler you want to use. Makefile can also set which
compiler will be used ...

And finally you can correct what M-x compile RET does by inserting in
the read-area (mini-buffer), just an example:

	time nice +17 env USE_XCB=NO PATH=/Users/pete/Quellen/X11R7.1/util/
modular:/usr/local/bin:/sw/lib/freetype219/bin:/sw/lib/odcctools/bin:/
sw/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/gwTeX/
bin/bin CFLAGS="-v -pipe -fPIC -O0 -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fno-
common" CPPFLAGS="-v -no-cpp-precomp -I/usr/include/openssl -I/sw/
include/pango-1.0 -I/sw/lib/freetype219/include -I/sw/lib/freetype219/
include/freetype2 -I/sw/include/libpng12 -I/sw/include -I/usr/local/
include" LDFLAGS="-dead_strip -bind_at_load -L/sw/lib/freetype219/lib
-L/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib -L/sw/lib/ncurses -L/usr/local/lib -L/sw/
lib" ACLOCAL="aclocal -I /usr/local/share/aclocal -I /sw/share/
aclocal" PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/
fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R7/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/
sw/lib/system-openssl/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/
pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/clamXav/lib/pkgconfig
util/modular/build1.sh -m /Users/pete/Quellen/X11R7.1/Mesa-6.5.2 -D /
usr/X11R7 -n

You see: not even make needs to used to compile some software ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Remember: use logout to logout.

* Re: Compile mode in emacs!!
@ 2007-03-28  5:10   ` Nazir
From: Nazir  @ 2007-03-28  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for your reply Peter.
The path in the shell is already set to the required compiler. I need to run
a set of make files.
I do not want to change the "CC" in the make files.
But , when I say which gcc in the Mx- compile:
It says "/usr/bin/gcc"
I want to use, say "/tools/gnu/gcc". (THe shell from which emacs is laucnhed
points to this gcc! )
Can I configure the emacs to pick the required compiler?

Thanks again,
Nazir

@ 2007-03-28  8:29     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-03-28  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nazir ; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.03.2007 um 07:10 schrieb Nazir:

> The path in the shell is already set to the required compiler.

So the question is, why has GNU Emacs another another PATH value
active? Do launch it from some menu? I looks as if your login shell
provides a different environment than what you use in an interactive
shell. If you fix this issue, then GNU Emacs will find the same
compiler as you in some shell.

> I need to run a set of make files.
> I do not want to change the "CC" in the make files.

As I showed in my examples: you can use env to set particular
environment variables.

> I want to use, say "/tools/gnu/gcc". (THe shell from which emacs is
> laucnhed points to this gcc! )

Then my guess is that some environment variables reset the value. You
can, for example do M-x compile RET and then erase the default make
command and substitute it with env or printenv to see which
environment the compile process sees. Then some corrections can be made.

> Can I configure the emacs to pick the required compiler?

I don't see this. There is a customisation group for the compilation
process (C-h f compile RET and you'll find a hint in the *Help*
buffer or via menus Options -> Customize Emacs -> Specific Group…,
name completion works), but there is nothing to set the compiler
explicitly. This is done in the shell or in Makefiles, as determined
by a configure script for example, or set by the programmer.

--
Greetings

   Pete                                           0
                                            %-/\_//
                                             (*)(*)

* Re: Compile mode in emacs!!
@ 2007-03-28  8:56       ` Nazir
From: Nazir  @ 2007-03-28  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi Peter,

Oops!! ... when I said "printenv", in the Mx-compile, it shows a different
value for "PATH", from the one I see in the terminal.

> I looks as if your login shell
>provides a different environment than what you use in an interactive
>shell. If you fix this issue, then GNU Emacs will find the same
>compiler as you in some shell.

I guess, you are right. Could you please tell me how to fix this?
Infact, when I said "printenv", I saw a big list, where in PATH_USER had the
correct value, where as the PATH variable was referring to an incorrect
value.
I also changed the path in Mx-compile, using "setenv PATH <value>", but it
gets reset to a different value!!

Thanks,
Nazir

--
" LIFE ROCKS "

* Re: Compile mode in emacs!!
@ 2007-03-28  9:17         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]           ` <39262250703280328g1f53a9a0l2a5e490e8a52acad@mail.gmail.com>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-03-28  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nazir; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.03.2007 um 10:56 schrieb Nazir:

> I guess, you are right. Could you please tell me how to fix this?

Determine what your login shell is. Set in its RC file PATH to the
value PATH_USER shows. Log off and in. Enjoy the change.

> Infact, when I said "printenv", I saw a big list, where in
> PATH_USER had the correct value, where as the PATH variable was
> referring to an incorrect value.
> I also changed the path in Mx-compile, using "setenv PATH <value>",
> but it gets reset to a different value!!

"Setenv" is a shell command in (t)csh. You have to use 'env
<VARIABLE>=<value>' ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.
                                          - Groucho Marx

* Re: Compile mode in emacs!!
       [not found]           ` <39262250703280328g1f53a9a0l2a5e490e8a52acad@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-03-28 11:17             ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]               ` <39262250703280551md8bdc54u5b9c31e59d207018@mail.gmail.com>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-03-28 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nazir ; +Cc: emacs List

Am 28.03.2007 um 12:28 schrieb Nazir:

> 1. PATH variable is showing the correct value in the terminal
> ( tcsh ). From the same terminal I open emacs. In emacs, I execute
> the shell command, echo $PATH, this shows an incorrect value.

What is your login shell? Without some basics nothing reasonable can
be achieved.

What is your command to "open emacs?"
Do you have a file ~/.emacs_tcsh? This one sets values for GNU Emacs'
*shell* buffer – but not for what is done via M-x. In case your login
shell is tcsh, then ~/.cshrc is executed, when it exists. If it does
not exist, then ~/.tcshrc is executed, if existing. And it is this
order in which they are loaded, or not loaded (you can proof by
creating a simple ~/.cshrc with only one line

	echo "Hi, it's me, your ~/.cshrc!"

). Do they manipulate path? The lower case word ``path´´ is the
variable that sets PATH, which exists in (t)csh only for backward
compatibility with Bourne shell look-alikes.

> 2. In the RC file (.cshrc), the PATH has already been set to
> correct value(I guess thats how it is displayed properly in the
> terminal). I just wonder where emacs gets the PATH from ?? Does it
> take it from a different file??

If the GNU Emacs binary is launched from a shell as 'emacs &' than no
other file is involved in setting PATH – except you have in some
ELisp file a statement like

	(setenv "PATH" (concat "/some/directory" ":" (getenv "PATH")))

or such. This modulates GNU Emacs' internal private environment which
is then copied into every new process, like for example the
compilation process.

If the 'emacs' from 'emacs &' is a shell script, than this shell
script can re-set PATH for the GNU Emacs launched later from this
script.

This code in site-start.el can name in *Messages* buffer all ELisp
files loaded:

	(defadvice load (before debug-log activate)
	  (message "(Tipp von Kai G) Now loading: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))

You can use some for GNU Emacs options to make it not loading ELisp
files, -q or -Q. Check with 'emacs --help' for the exact meaning! You
might be able to find circumstances under which GNU Emacs'
environment is correct.

In Mac OS X I have it very simple and comfortable: an XML file
contains environment variables and their values and by a command like

	    set path=(`defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment PATH | tr ':' ' '`)

I can use them in any shell ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

When you meet a master swordsman,
show him your sword.
When you meet a man who is not a poet,
do not show him your poem.
                 -- Rinzai, ninth century Zen master

* Re: Compile mode in emacs!!
       [not found] <mailman.1487.1174994711.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-03-28 13:18 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2007-03-28 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

elxsian@gmail.com wrote:
> When I try to use the compile mode in emacs, it picks up the default gcc (/usr/bin/gcc). I need it to pick the gcc in a different location. How do I do that? I tried sourcing the path from the compile mode, but did not help.

IMHO, the best approach is to learn how to use make.  Then let emacs do
the default (run make) and put details like paths, command line options,
etc., in the makefile.

* Re: Compile mode in emacs!!
       [not found]               ` <39262250703280551md8bdc54u5b9c31e59d207018@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-03-28 15:20                 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-03-28 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nazir ; +Cc: emacs List

Am 28.03.2007 um 14:51 schrieb Nazir:

> >What is your command to "open emacs?"
> "emacs &" from the tcsh

And is this executable "emacs" a binary, a shell script, a sym-link
to whatever?

> >If the GNU Emacs binary is launched from a shell as 'emacs &' than no
> >other file is involved in setting PATH – except you have in some
> >ELisp file a statement like  ....
> Is that to be added in the .emacs file? Or which ELISP file are you
> referring to?

You can set in Lisp a PATH environment variable:

	(setenv "PATH" "the right one")

but this can be dangerous when you change path or PATH for your login
and interactive shells.

> May be once the path is set in this file, emacs could get the right
> PATH variable?

I suppose so.

> Also, I tht if we start emacs from  a terminal , it should take
> that same PATH as that is set in that terminal !!

GNU Emacs should inherit this value. Therefore I am asking another
time if your "emacs" command is some shell script that manipulates
path or PATH.

--
Greetings

   Pete                           <]
              o        __o         |__    o       HPV, the real
     ___o    /I       -\<,         |o \  -\),-%     high speed!

@ 2007-03-29  0:30 ` "Wilfred Zegwaard (privé)"
From: "Wilfred Zegwaard (privé)" @ 2007-03-29  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Is there anyone who can help me to let EMacspeak run on a Windows machine?

Thanks,

Wilfred