all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to hide the startup echo area message?
@ 2008-05-12 21:29 Bruce C. Miller
From: Bruce C. Miller @ 2008-05-12 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I start up Gnu Emacs, I see a message that reads "For information
about the GNU Profject and its goals, type C-h C-p." in the minibuffer/
echo area.

Having already read this story (several times, in fact), I find this
message rather annoying after seeing it for the zillionth time, but I
haven't been able to turn this off. Can it be done?

* Re: How to hide the startup echo area message?
@ 2008-05-12 22:37 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-05-12 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce C. Miller; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.05.2008 um 23:29 schrieb Bruce C. Miller:

> Having already read this story (several times, in fact), I find this
> message rather annoying after seeing it for the zillionth time, but I
> haven't been able to turn this off. Can it be done?

	(setq inhibit-startup-message t) ?

Or upgrade to a more up-to-date version of GNU Emacs 23.0.60 from CVS
– I think it stopped showing such messages.

--
Greetings

   Pete

This is a signature virus.  Add me to your signature and help me to live

* Re: How to hide the startup echo area message?
@ 2008-05-12 22:49 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2008-05-12 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 12 May 2008 14:29:12 -0700 (PDT) Bruce C. Miller wrote:

> When I start up Gnu Emacs, I see a message that reads "For information
> about the GNU Profject and its goals, type C-h C-p." in the minibuffer/
> echo area.
>
> Having already read this story (several times, in fact), I find this
> message rather annoying after seeing it for the zillionth time, but I
> haven't been able to turn this off. Can it be done?

Maybe (run-with-timer 1 nil #'yow) at the end of your .emacs

* Re: How to hide the startup echo area message?
@ 2008-05-13 14:41   ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-13 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: Bruce C. Miller, help-gnu-emacs

> Am 12.05.2008 um 23:29 schrieb Bruce C. Miller:
>
>> Having already read this story (several times, in fact), I find this
>> message rather annoying after seeing it for the zillionth time, but I
>> haven't been able to turn this off. Can it be done?
>
> 	(setq inhibit-startup-message t) ?
>
> Or upgrade to a more up-to-date version of GNU Emacs 23.0.60 from CVS
> – I think it stopped showing such messages.

FYI I get this message when I start Emacs, and I update from CVS every
week.  I, however, do not mind.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

Ineffective security measure:

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.

* Re: How to hide the startup echo area message?
@ 2008-05-13 15:12 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-05-13 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Bruce C. Miller" <bm3719@gmail.com> writes:

> When I start up Gnu Emacs, I see a message that reads "For information
> about the GNU Profject and its goals, type C-h C-p." in the minibuffer/
> echo area.
>
> Having already read this story (several times, in fact), I find this
> message rather annoying after seeing it for the zillionth time, but I
> haven't been able to turn this off. Can it be done?

C-h v inhibit-startup-echo-area-message

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: How to hide the startup echo area message?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-05-13 16:39 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2008-05-13 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My generic answer to emacs startup questions is to use
one of the client / server packages, gnuclient or
emacsclient.

I typically start emacs and leave it running for weeks
or months at a time, connecting new clients as needed.
Besides eliminating your zillion messages, starting
a client is much faster then starting emacs.

@ 2008-05-13 17:05   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-05-13 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Goldman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com> writes:

> My generic answer to emacs startup questions is to use
> one of the client / server packages, gnuclient or
> emacsclient.
>
> I typically start emacs and leave it running for weeks
> or months at a time, connecting new clients as needed.
> Besides eliminating your zillion messages, starting
> a client is much faster then starting emacs.
>
> Bruce C. Miller wrote:
>> When I start up Gnu Emacs, I see a message that reads "For
>> information about the GNU Profject and its goals, type C-h C-p." in
>> the minibuffer/ echo area.
>>
>> Having already read this story (several times, in fact), I find this
>> message rather annoying after seeing it for the zillionth time, but
>>  haven't been able to turn this off. Can it be done?

Hi!
yes you can turn it off:

,----
| ;; No startup screen
| (setq inhibit-startup-message t)
`----

And if you want another message:

;; Message displayed in *scratch* on startup
;; Take effect only on last emacs versions unless
;; inhibit-startup-(message/screen) is nil.

,----

`----

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: How to hide the startup echo area message?
@ 2008-05-13 20:59   ` Bruce C. Miller
From: Bruce C. Miller @ 2008-05-13 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 13, 11:12 am, bojohan+n...@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård)
wrote:
> "Bruce C. Miller" <bm3...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > When I start up Gnu Emacs, I see a message that reads "For information
> > about the GNU Profject and its goals, type C-h C-p." in the minibuffer/
> > echo area.
>
> > Having already read this story (several times, in fact), I find this
> > message rather annoying after seeing it for the zillionth time, but I
> > haven't been able to turn this off. Can it be done?
>
> C-h v inhibit-startup-echo-area-message
>
> --
> Johan Bockgård

Precisely what I needed. Thanks. :)