all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Initializing buffer with find-file versus with scratch pad ?!?
@ 2010-01-26 17:11 William Case
From: William Case @ 2010-01-26 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help List

What I want to do in either my custom.el file or my emacs.el file is
instruct emacs to open with the 'find-file foo' showing or if there is
no find-file, open with 'scratch pad' showing.

That should be simple enough.  I have the following set in my custom.el

 '(inhibit-startup-screen t)
 '(initial-buffer-choice t)
 '(initial-scratch-message "")

However, if I select a file through Nautilus and right click "open with
emacs" emacs opens with the correct file in a buffer, but never showing
as the viewable or top buffer. When a file has been selected before
opening emacs I want that file/buffer to show immediately as the primary
buffer.

I have screwed around with this for a couple of hours now, checked the
info file and the emacs wiki.  I am probably use the wrong key word or
variable name in my search.

An suggestion as to how to set this up or a pointer to the correct
function(s) or variable(s) would be helpful.
--
Regards Bill
Fedora 12, Gnome 2.28

* Re: Initializing buffer with find-file versus with scratch pad ?!? [SOLVED]
@ 2010-01-27  4:42 ` William Case
From: William Case @ 2010-01-27  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help List

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 12:11 -0500, William Case wrote:
> What I want to do in either my custom.el file or my emacs.el file is
> instruct emacs to open with the 'find-file foo' showing or if there is
> no find-file, open with 'scratch pad' showing.
>
> That should be simple enough.  I have the following set in my custom.el
>
>  '(inhibit-startup-screen t)
>  '(initial-buffer-choice t)
>  '(initial-scratch-message "")
>
> However, if I select a file through Nautilus and right click "open with
> emacs" emacs opens with the correct file in a buffer, but never showing
> as the viewable or top buffer. When a file has been selected before
> opening emacs I want that file/buffer to show immediately as the primary
> buffer.
>
> I have screwed around with this for a couple of hours now, checked the
> info file and the emacs wiki.  I am probably use the wrong key word or
> variable name in my search.
>
> An suggestion as to how to set this up or a pointer to the correct
> function(s) or variable(s) would be helpful.

Got it -- sorry for the noise.

'(inhibit-startup-screen t)
'(initial-buffer-choice nil)
'(initial-scratch-message "")