all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Setting up a custom info node.
@ 2009-05-19 14:23 Tim Visher
       [not found] ` <mailman.7552.1242847177.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-05-19 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to set up a custom info node under my .emacs.d directory for
maintaining all of the info files that I'm interested in.  I tried to
do that per the instructions
[here](http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/texinfo/Other-Info-Directories.html)
and it's failed with a recursive load error.

I would like to ignore anything but the dir file under
`.emacs.d/info/`.  What I did was the following:

`(setq Info-directory-list (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/info") ()))`

Thanks in advance for your help.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://burningones.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ - Spend less time on e-mail

* Re: Setting up a custom info node.
@ 2009-05-20 19:19 ` Tim Visher
       [not found] ` <mailman.7552.1242847177.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-05-20 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Just a ping.  Anyone out there on this?  I'm really having trouble
figuring out how to do it on my own.

Thanks in advance!

@ 2009-05-20 19:52   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-05-20 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a ping.  Anyone out there on this?  I'm really having trouble
> figuring out how to do it on my own.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I'd like to set up a custom info node under my .emacs.d directory for
>> maintaining all of the info files that I'm interested in.  I tried to
>> do that per the instructions
>> [here](http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/texinfo/Other-Info-Directories.html)
>> and it's failed with a recursive load error.
>>
>> I would like to ignore anything but the dir file under
>> `.emacs.d/info/`.  What I did was the following:
>>
>> `(setq Info-directory-list (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/info") ()))`

Hi Tim, I have never done this, but shouldn't you add the dir to the
ones already in the list? Like

  (setq Info-directory-list (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/info")
 Info-directory-list)

@ 2009-05-20 20:39     ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-05-20 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Lennart Borgman
<lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I'd like to set up a custom info node under my .emacs.d directory for
>> maintaining all of the info files that I'm interested in.  I tried to
>> do that per the instructions
>> [here](http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/texinfo/Other-Info-Directories.html)
>> and it's failed with a recursive load error.
>>
>> I would like to ignore anything but the dir file under
>> `.emacs.d/info/`.  What I did was the following:
>>
>> `(setq Info-directory-list (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/info") ()))`
>
> Hi Tim, I have never done this, but shouldn't you add the dir to the
> ones already in the list? Like
>
>  (setq Info-directory-list (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/info")
>  Info-directory-list)

My idea, here, was to simply make Emacs ignore anything that the
system may have set up.  I want to maintain my own Info directory
under source control and have it be the only thing I see when I do
`C-h i`.  That's why I'm not adding to the list.  I discovered
[here](http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InfoPath) that if INFOPATH is
set on the system, any direct customization you do will be ignored
anyway.  This may be a problem I'll run into in the future (I'm not
sure I quite grok that page) but right now I couldn't even get things
to load because of the recursive load error.

Thanks for the thoughts though.

--

@ 2009-05-20 20:49       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-05-20 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Lennart Borgman
> <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> I'd like to set up a custom info node under my .emacs.d directory for
>>> maintaining all of the info files that I'm interested in.  I tried to
>>> do that per the instructions
>>> [here](http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/texinfo/Other-Info-Directories.html)
>>> and it's failed with a recursive load error.
>>>
>>> I would like to ignore anything but the dir file under
>>> `.emacs.d/info/`.  What I did was the following:
>>>
>>> `(setq Info-directory-list (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/info") ()))`
>>
>> Hi Tim, I have never done this, but shouldn't you add the dir to the
>> ones already in the list? Like
>>
>>  (setq Info-directory-list (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/info")
>>  Info-directory-list)
>
> My idea, here, was to simply make Emacs ignore anything that the
> system may have set up.  I want to maintain my own Info directory
> under source control and have it be the only thing I see when I do
> `C-h i`.  That's why I'm not adding to the list.  I discovered
> [here](http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InfoPath) that if INFOPATH is
> set on the system, any direct customization you do will be ignored
> anyway.  This may be a problem I'll run into in the future (I'm not
> sure I quite grok that page) but right now I couldn't even get things
> to load because of the recursive load error.
>
> Thanks for the thoughts though.

If you are folloing the instructions that comes with Emacs for this
and it does not work, then please submit a bug report. However to do
that it would at the moment be best to try the pretest for Emacs 23
and see if things still fails there (since no work will be done any
more on earlier versions.)

* RE: Setting up a custom info node.
@ 2009-05-20 22:02       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-05-20 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tim Visher', 'Lennart Borgman'; +Cc: 'emacs'

Double apologies, if this doesn't respond to what you're looking for.

(1) I haven't really followed this thread and have no special help.
I'm not sure what you've already tried, but you should be able to simply replace
the `dir' file of your Emacs installation by your own `dir' file. Or if you
cannot do that (e.g. you have no access to that location), then you should be
able to change the value of your INFOPATH env variable (or
`Info-default-directory-list' Emacs variable, if INFOPATH is undefined) to
reference your own `dir' file, wherever it is.

This assumes that you've created your own `dir' file to point to the Info
manuals you really want. So my suggestion would be: (a) set INFOPATH to point to
your chosen directory, where you put (b) your own customized `dir' file.

(2) This is off-topic from what you apparently really want (a customized `dir'),
but it responds somewhat to your Subject line, which mentions `node' instead of
`dir':

If you use Icicles, you can create a virtual Info book made up of any set of
Info nodes you like, from the same or different manuals. You can create any
number of such books, for different topics.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Info_Enhancements#VirtualInfoBooks

@ 2009-05-21 20:28   ` Scott Frazer
From: Scott Frazer @ 2009-05-21 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Visher wrote:
> Just a ping.  Anyone out there on this?  I'm really having trouble
> figuring out how to do it on my own.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I'd like to set up a custom info node under my .emacs.d directory for
>> maintaining all of the info files that I'm interested in.  I tried to
>> do that per the instructions
>> [here](http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/texinfo/Other-Info-Directories.html)
>> and it's failed with a recursive load error.
>>
>> I would like to ignore anything but the dir file under
>> `.emacs.d/info/`.  What I did was the following:
>>
>> `(setq Info-directory-list (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/info") ()))`
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.

This works for me:

(setq Info-default-directory-list (list "~/.emacs.d/info"))
(setq Info-directory-list (list "~/.emacs.d/info"))

The 2nd setq shouldn't be necessary looking at the doc for Info-default-directory-list,
but you would need it in an existing Emacs session that you have used info in already.

Scott