all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#16894: 24.1; Text indentation/cursor position messed up.
@ 2014-02-27 15:23 mfrey
From: mfrey @ 2014-02-27 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 16894

I recently upgraded to emacs 24.3.1 (built from source) in order to use a new mode for
programming in D. I seem to have introduced some problem with my other
modes now (Java, C++ C I'm just using whatever comes with emacs) even
when going back to my previous version (21.1.1 nox). When I
scroll up/down in a buffer, the text displayed is totally messed up. As
in lines mixed together, indentation screwy, cursor not modifying where
it looks like it is. If I hit ctrl-l the screen refreshes and all is
good. I noticed this problem every once in a while with my previous
version when editing C .h files. But now it's happening on every single
buffer. Every time I move up/down I have to
refresh the screen. I can't find anything similar to my problem with a
google search. Might end up being an issue with some incompatible
version of a dependency. Here's my system stats.

CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
linux 2.6.18-164.el5

I don't even know what other libs emacs might depend on. I'll be happy
to post versions of anything that might be relevant.wrong place.
Actually while I have been editing this message, the cursor has been
jumping around on me causing edits to appear in the s. ctrl-l causes the buffer to display properly.

(I'm leaving the above text as-is because I was just editing normally
and that's what happened).

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
 of 2014-02-25 on localhost.localdomain
Configured using:
 `configure '--without-x''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Java/l

Minor modes in effect:
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC [ > 0 ; 9 5 ; c C-v C-l C-v ESC O B ESC O B TAB
ESC O B ESC O B TAB ESC O B TAB ESC O B TAB TAB ESC
O B ESC O B ESC O B C-l ESC x r e p o TAB r DEL TAB
r TAB RET

Recent messages:
("emacs" "Logger.java")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Logger.java has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Making completion list... [2 times]
call-interactively: End of buffer [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode view vc-dispatcher vc-svn cc-mode
cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs regexp-opt time-date ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)

* bug#16894: 24.1; Text indentation/cursor position messed up.
@ 2014-02-28  2:08 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-02-28  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: mfrey; +Cc: 16894

mfrey wrote:

> I recently upgraded to emacs 24.3.1 (built from source) in order to
> use a new mode for programming in D. I seem to have introduced some
> problem with my other modes now (Java, C++ C I'm just using whatever
> comes with emacs) even when going back to my previous version (21.1.1
> nox). When I scroll up/down in a buffer, the text displayed is totally
> messed up. As in lines mixed together, indentation screwy, cursor not
> modifying where it looks like it is. If I hit ctrl-l the screen
> refreshes and all is good. I noticed this problem every once in a
> while with my previous version when editing C .h files. But now it's
> happening on every single buffer.

Sorry, but I can't think of any way in which installing Emacs 24.3 could
cause a problem with your previous installation of 21.1.
I have no idea what to suggest.

* bug#16894: 24.1; Text indentation/cursor position messed up.
@ 2014-02-28  6:54   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-02-28  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: davidmfrey; +Cc: 16894

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 21:08:34 -0500
> Cc: 16894@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> mfrey wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded to emacs 24.3.1 (built from source) in order to
> > use a new mode for programming in D. I seem to have introduced some
> > problem with my other modes now (Java, C++ C I'm just using whatever
> > comes with emacs) even when going back to my previous version (21.1.1
> > nox). When I scroll up/down in a buffer, the text displayed is totally
> > messed up. As in lines mixed together, indentation screwy, cursor not
> > modifying where it looks like it is. If I hit ctrl-l the screen
> > refreshes and all is good. I noticed this problem every once in a
> > while with my previous version when editing C .h files. But now it's
> > happening on every single buffer.
>
> Sorry, but I can't think of any way in which installing Emacs 24.3 could
> cause a problem with your previous installation of 21.1.
> I have no idea what to suggest.

Perhaps upgrading Emacs installed some other packages, like curses or
terminfo, which could explain this?

* bug#16894: 24.1; Text indentation/cursor position messed up.
@ 2014-02-28  7:01     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-02-28  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: davidmfrey, 16894

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
>> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 21:08:34 -0500
>> Cc: 16894@debbugs.gnu.org
>>
>> mfrey wrote:
>>
>> > I recently upgraded to emacs 24.3.1 (built from source) in order to
>> > use a new mode for programming in D. I seem to have introduced some
>> > problem with my other modes now (Java, C++ C I'm just using whatever
>> > comes with emacs) even when going back to my previous version (21.1.1
>> > nox). When I scroll up/down in a buffer, the text displayed is totally
>> > messed up. As in lines mixed together, indentation screwy, cursor not
>> > modifying where it looks like it is. If I hit ctrl-l the screen
>> > refreshes and all is good. I noticed this problem every once in a
>> > while with my previous version when editing C .h files. But now it's
>> > happening on every single buffer.
>>
>> Sorry, but I can't think of any way in which installing Emacs 24.3 could
>> cause a problem with your previous installation of 21.1.
>> I have no idea what to suggest.
>
> Perhaps upgrading Emacs installed some other packages, like curses or
> terminfo, which could explain this?

I assume the original Emacs was installed via rpm. It would have the
versions of curses, terminfo etc that it requires specified as
dependencies. You'd have to do something quite special to break that,
and if you did, I imagine you'd get an Emacs that would simply not start
(due to missing libraries), as well as a system that was pretty much
broken altogether (because a huge number of packages depend on ncurses).

* bug#16894: 24.1; Text indentation/cursor position messed up.
@ 2014-02-28  7:06       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-02-28  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: davidmfrey, 16894

Glenn Morris wrote:

>> Perhaps upgrading Emacs installed some other packages, like curses or
>> terminfo, which could explain this?
>
> I assume the original Emacs was installed via rpm. It would have the
> versions of curses, terminfo etc that it requires specified as
> dependencies. You'd have to do something quite special to break that,
> and if you did, I imagine you'd get an Emacs that would simply not start
> (due to missing libraries), as well as a system that was pretty much
> broken altogether (because a huge number of packages depend on ncurses).

Oh maybe you are right... If newer versions of curses etc were installed
by hand, and if LD_LIBRARY_PATH or somesuch was set such that the
previously installed Emacs happened to find these before the ones it was
expecting. Seems very unlikely. They'd have to have the same .so
versions to be found at all. And I don't think that compiling 24.3 on
RHEL5 needs newer versions of those libraries anyway.

Anyway, I think there's no way you or I can say what happened on the
OP's machine.

* bug#16894: 24.1; Text indentation/cursor position messed up.
@ 2014-02-28 12:40         ` mfrey
From: mfrey @ 2014-02-28 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 16894

I'm afraid I can't get this to repeat anymore.  I did a yum erase of emacs and reinstalled emacs-nox (which was emacs 21.4) and now even the newer versions are working properly.  If I ever have this happen again, I'll include the dynamically linked libs it's using too.

Thanks for your time.
Matt Frey

@ 2014-03-01  3:13           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-03-01  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: mfrey; +Cc: 16894

mfrey wrote:

> I'm afraid I can't get this to repeat anymore. I did a yum erase of
> emacs and reinstalled emacs-nox (which was emacs 21.4) and now even
> the newer versions are working properly. If I ever have this happen
> again, I'll include the dynamically linked libs it's using too.

OK, I'll close this report then.
But to be honest I have no idea how we would debug this if it recurred.