all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* short *Shell Command Output* buffer afraid of mice and everything else
@ 2002-05-02  0:37 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-05-02  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe this cruel item has been already fixed.
I do a M-! shell command and wish to cut and paste from the result.  I
press to click and ha ha, it ran away :-(

<escape> ! n s l o o k u p SPC w w w . g o
o g l e . c o m <return> <down-mouse-1> <help-echo>
<drag-mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>

P.S. did I really type a "help-echo" key?
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: short *Shell Command Output* buffer afraid of mice and everything else
@ 2002-05-02 15:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-05-02 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2 May 2002, Dan Jacobson wrote:

> Maybe this cruel item has been already fixed.
> I do a M-! shell command and wish to cut and paste from the result.  I
> press to click and ha ha, it ran away :-(

It didn't run away, you can still see it with "C-x b".

* Re: short *Shell Command Output* and mouse "bait and switch"
@ 2002-05-03  1:06   ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-05-03  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Maybe this cruel item has been already fixed.
>> I do a M-! shell command and wish to cut and paste from the result.  I
>> press to click and ha ha, it ran away :-(

Eli> It didn't run away, you can still see it with "C-x b".

But don't you also feel like a bait and switch victim when you get the
mouse in place, lower your finger, and "wham! ha ha fooled you!".  Is
this a peek at the emacs attitude of the future?

You must admit that it is a bug to make things disappear when the user
is about to cut and paste them.  What other software acts this way?

<escape> ! s e q SPC 1 SPC 1 SPC 5 <return>
now try to copy say, the "3" with your mouse.
Is all the flashing and error messages not a bug?
Why not just let the user copy what he sees?
--

@ 2002-05-03 10:35     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-05-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> From: Dan Jacobson <jidanni@deadspam.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.bug
> Date: 03 May 2002 09:06:50 +0800
>
> You must admit that it is a bug to make things disappear when the user
> is about to cut and paste them.  What other software acts this way?

Many programs behave similarly when such ``transient'' messages are
involved.  For example, fire up your Web browser, then move the mouse
pointer above some link.  Most browsers will display the URL of that
link down below, in the area that resembles the Emacs echo area.  But
if you try to move the mouse there, with the intent of copying the
URL into the clipboard or the X selection, the URL disappears.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say Emacs shouldn't allow to copy the
messages, I was just trying to help you find the specific elusive
message you mentioned.

> <escape> ! s e q SPC 1 SPC 1 SPC 5 <return>
> now try to copy say, the "3" with your mouse.
> Is all the flashing and error messages not a bug?
> Why not just let the user copy what he sees?

The CVS code places you in the *Messages* buffer when you click in the
echo area, so you should be able to copy the text from taht buffer.