all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to type when using Emacs?
@ 2008-07-09 15:22 SomeDeveloper
From: SomeDeveloper @ 2008-07-09 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Just getting started with Emacs. Would like to get advice on how to
train finger movement when learning/using Emacs.

Should I try to continue to follow standard, English typing rules...
where you park your fingers on the home-row, and then press a key only
with the finger reserved for it? Or, should I feel free to jump
arbitrarily or do whatever is necessary/convenient to become effective
longer-term?

Saw an article or two on the Net ( http://steve.yegge.googlepages.com/effective-emacs
) where the authors are recommending swapping CAPS and CTRL keys. Not
sure if this by itself would be enough, or if I would need to also
break standard typing rules?

For example: If I had to type
   C-x t C-u 8 0

using the standard typing rules, I would use
   <finger>  ( <for-key> )

  Right pinky (C)
  Left ring finger (x)
  Left pinky (C)
  Right index finger (u)
  Right middle finger (8)
  Right pinky (0)

How would you type the above? Similarly, an example recommendation of
a complicated, Meta key combination would also help.

Hoping to hear from Emacs experts and veterans. Thanks...

Regards,
/SD