On 2016-12-08 03:27, Andreas Schwab wrote: >> It would be nice if Emacs offered something similar out of the box. > > (format "The value is %.2f." (1+ value)) Andreas, the implementation I posted uses format under the hood, so I'm not sure what you meant to say :/ The Python RFC that introduced this change has a discussion of pros and cons of the two approaches (including values to be formatted inside the string or not) In any case, Emacs' format is a function, not a macro: format strings are parsed at runtime, AFAICT.