all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Anti-aliased text on WinXP?
@ 2006-04-17 10:28 darren.austin
From: darren.austin @ 2006-04-17 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey folks,

Is there a way to get Emacs (in my case 21.3.1) on WinXP to use
anti-aliased fonts?

Thanks,
--Darren

* Re: Anti-aliased text on WinXP?
@ 2006-04-17 13:30 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.828.1145836763.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.503.1145287845.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-04-17 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there a way to get Emacs (in my case 21.3.1) on WinXP to use
> anti-aliased fonts?

Yes.  Actually it's what it uses by default for me.

* RE: Anti-aliased text on WinXP?
@ 2006-04-17 15:30 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.503.1145287845.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-04-17 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Is there a way to get Emacs (in my case 21.3.1) on WinXP to use
    anti-aliased fonts?

Works for me by doing nothing. Do you have smoothing turned on for WinXP
generally? If not, do so:

1. Right-click the desktop and pick Properties.
2. Click the Appearance tab.
3. Click the Effects... button.
4. Check the box "Use the following method to smooth edges..."
5. Pick a smoothing method in the pull-down list. I use ClearType.
6. Click OK.

HTH.

@ 2006-04-17 18:21   ` darren.austin
From: darren.austin @ 2006-04-17 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Weird, I do have ClearType turned on.  It certainly doesn't look
anti-aliased to me.  I don't think I have changed anything from the
default.  I notice that XEmacs does seem to have this problem.  Perhaps
this it is a different default font.  Is no one else seeing this
problem?

@ 2006-04-23 23:31   ` Paulo J. Matos
       [not found]   ` <mailman.828.1145836763.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2006-04-23 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 17/04/06, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > Is there a way to get Emacs (in my case 21.3.1) on WinXP to use
> > anti-aliased fonts?
>
> Yes.  Actually it's what it uses by default for me.

And this works on Linux?

>         Stefan

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at sat inesc-id pt
Web: http://sat.inesc-id.pt/~pocm
Computer and Software Engineering
INESC-ID - SAT Group

@ 2006-04-24  8:53     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-04-24  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> > Is there a way to get Emacs (in my case 21.3.1) on WinXP to use
>> > anti-aliased fonts?
>> Yes.  Actually it's what it uses by default for me.
> And this works on Linux?

You mean GNU/Linux?  No, unless you're using the experimental
Emacs-Xft branch.

* Re: Anti-aliased text on WinXP?
@ 2006-04-24 15:19       ` Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2006-04-24 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 24/04/06, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> >> Yes.  Actually it's what it uses by default for me.
> > And this works on Linux?
>
> You mean GNU/Linux?

Yes

> No, unless you're using the experimental
> Emacs-Xft branch.

ok, thanks!