all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Initial frame geometry in w32 gnu emacs
@ 2005-05-25 23:37 B.T. Raven
       [not found] ` <mailman.1852.1117078839.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B.T. Raven @ 2005-05-25 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello emacs help newsgroup:

I am using GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw) on a laptop under MS Win 2000.
According to the docs, launching under X with the --geometry argument
(along with suitable parameters) will size and position the initial
frame on the screen. Can the same thing be accomplished by adding code
to the .emacs? Is there a file similar to .Xdefaults in the w32
environment? If not, is it possible to modify the default behavior (80
column by 40 line frame positioned in the upper left corner) by editing
an elisp file somewhere?

Thanks,

Ed

* Re: Initial frame geometry in w32 gnu emacs
@ 2005-05-26  3:36 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1852.1117078839.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-05-26  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "B.T. Raven" <ejmn@cpinternet.com>
> Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 18:37:14 -0500
>
> According to the docs, launching under X with the --geometry argument
> (along with suitable parameters) will size and position the initial
> frame on the screen. Can the same thing be accomplished by adding code
> to the .emacs?

Yes.  Here's an example:

    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(top . 0))
    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(left . 140))
    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 42))

@ 2005-05-26 11:58   ` B.T. Raven
From: B.T. Raven @ 2005-05-26 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
> > From: "B.T. Raven" <ejmn@cpinternet.com>
> > Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 18:37:14 -0500
> >
> > According to the docs, launching under X with the --geometry
argument
> > (along with suitable parameters) will size and position the initial
> > frame on the screen. Can the same thing be accomplished by adding
code
> > to the .emacs?
>
> Yes.  Here's an example:
>
>     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(top . 0))
>     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(left . 140))
>     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 42))

Thanks, Eli. I didn't know about add-to-list, so I ended up using:

 (setq initial-frame-alist '((top . 370) (left . 1) (width . 163)
(height . 17)))

which fills the bottom half of a 17" monitor. (I may have to modify it
for the laptop.) During emacs startup two other frame sizes flash on the
screen briefly but this is only an esthetic blemish. There must be lower
level settings of the frame geometry not accessible to the user.

@ 2005-05-27 18:46     ` optional
From: optional @ 2005-05-27 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

You should also setq default-frame-alist if you want your new windows
(opened with C-x 5 2) to have the same dimensions.

-Siva