all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tidy up code
@ 2007-12-21  9:04 Umar
From: Umar @ 2007-12-21  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am new to emacs. I want to tidy up my code so that it is more
readable. For example:

int main(void)
{
  int a = 1;
     if (a == 1)
   cout << "true" << endl;
  else
        cout << "false" << endl;
    return 0;
       }

to become

int main(void)
{
  int a = 1;
  if (a == 1)
    cout << "true" << endl;
  else
    cout << "false" << endl;
  return 0;
}

* Re: tidy up code
@ 2007-12-21  9:29 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-12-21  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 21 Dec, 09:04, Umar <umars...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to emacs. I want to tidy up my code so that it is more
> readable. For example:

indent-region (C-M-\) sounds like what you want.

* Re: tidy up code
@ 2007-12-21 10:23   ` Umar
From: Umar @ 2007-12-21 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 21, 4:29 pm, Jason Rumney <jasonrum...@gmail.com> wrote:

> indent-region (C-M-\) sounds like what you want.

No success. I press Ctrl+Shift+m and then key \. Then the \ character
appears.

I'm totally new to emacs. Can't I just select it using mouse, and then
press some key combination?
TIA

* Re: tidy up code
@ 2007-12-21 10:41     ` Torben Knudsen
From: Torben Knudsen @ 2007-12-21 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Umar> On Dec 21, 4:29 pm, Jason Rumney <jasonrum...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  indent-region (C-M-\) sounds like what you want.

Umar> No success. I press Ctrl+Shift+m and then key \. Then the \
Umar> character appears.

I use the command i.e. M-x indent-region because the key short cut do
not (always) work for me.
--
Associate Prof. Ph.D Torben Knudsen	Mobile	: (+45) 2787 9826
Section of Automation and Control,	Email	: tk@es.aau.dk

* Re: tidy up code
@ 2007-12-21 11:00       ` Umar Said
From: Umar Said @ 2007-12-21 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:41:25 +0100, Torben Knudsen wrote:
> I use the command i.e. M-x indent-region because the key short cut do
> not (always) work for me.

Still no success. Here is the result:

int main(void)
{
int a = 1				;
if (a == 1)
cout << "true" << endl			;
else
cout << "false" << endl			;
return 0
}

* Re: tidy up code
@ 2007-12-21 11:18     ` Martin Bealby
From: Martin Bealby @ 2007-12-21 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Umar <umarsaid@gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 21, 4:29 pm, Jason Rumney <jasonrum...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> indent-region (C-M-\) sounds like what you want.
>
> No success. I press Ctrl+Shift+m and then key \. Then the \ character
> appears.

As you are new to Emacs I'm assuming you are not used to the C-M-<x>
notation.  Note that this does not mean Control + Capital M then \

C, M and S are modifier keys and you press the required ones at the same
time.

C is control.
M is meta (alt on PCs).
S is shift.

Thus, C-M-\ is control + meta (alt) + backslash at the same time.

Martin

* Re: tidy up code
@ 2007-12-21 11:23       ` Umar Said
From: Umar Said @ 2007-12-21 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:18:15 +0000, Martin Bealby wrote:
> As you are new to Emacs I'm assuming you are not used to the C-M-<x>
> notation.  Note that this does not mean Control + Capital M then \
>
> C, M and S are modifier keys and you press the required ones at the same
> time.
>
> C is control.
> M is meta (alt on PCs).
> S is shift.
>
> Thus, C-M-\ is control + meta (alt) + backslash at the same time.
>
> Martin

Thank you Martin. Yes I'm new to Emacs and confused with it. I've tried to
press control+alt+\ as you told me. Here is the result:

   int main(void)
   {
     int a = 1;
         if (a == 1)
	  cout << "true" << endl;
	       else
	         cout << "false" << endl;
		 return 0
		      }

I've also tried M-x indent-region and other indent command, but still no
success.

* Re: tidy up code
@ 2007-12-21 12:07         ` nullius.filius
From: nullius.filius @ 2007-12-21 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Umar Said wrote:

> Yes I'm new to Emacs and confused with it. [I'm try to format]
>
>    int main(void)
>    {
>      int a = 1;
>          if (a == 1)
> 	  cout << "true" << endl;
> 	       else
> 	         cout << "false" << endl;
> 		 return 0
> 		      }
>
> I've also tried M-x indent-region and other indent command, but still no
> success.

You have to give a hint to emacs that you want to format a c++ file.
You do that by naming the file before you try and format it.

Go to the file menu and click on the menu item 'Visit new File' go to
the directory you want to save your file, and type in your file name
(test.cpp) and click the open button.

Now paste your code into emacs.

Once emacs has a hint on what type of file it is formatting, then
it can format it.

* Re: tidy up code
@ 2007-12-21 12:30           ` Umar Said
       [not found]             ` <mailman.5343.1198389653.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Umar Said @ 2007-12-21 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 04:07:05 -0800, nullius.filius wrote:

> You have to give a hint to emacs that you want to format a c++ file.
> You do that by naming the file before you try and format it.
>
> Go to the file menu and click on the menu item 'Visit new File' go to
> the directory you want to save your file, and type in your file name
> (test.cpp) and click the open button.
>
> Now paste your code into emacs.
>
> Once emacs has a hint on what type of file it is formatting, then
> it can format it.

Thank you nullius. It solves the problem.

* Re: tidy up code
@ 2007-12-23  6:01             ` Gabriel Parrondo
       [not found]             ` <mailman.5343.1198389653.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gabriel Parrondo @ 2007-12-23  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

El vie, 21-12-2007 a las 13:30 +0100, Umar Said escribió:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 04:07:05 -0800, nullius.filius wrote:
> >

> > You have to give a hint to emacs that you want to format a c++ file.
> > You do that by naming the file before you try and format it.
> >
> > Go to the file menu and click on the menu item 'Visit new File' go to
> > the directory you want to save your file, and type in your file name
> > (test.cpp) and click the open button.
> >
> > Now paste your code into emacs.
> >
> > Once emacs has a hint on what type of file it is formatting, then
> > it can format it.
>
> Thank you nullius. It solves the problem.

Note that you don't really need to name the file with the usual
extension for the file format. You can tell emacs that you're editing a
C++ file with "M-x c++-mode", despite of its name.

I strongly recommend reading the emacs tutorial (C-h t) if you didn't
already.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice."

[-- Attachment #1.2: Esta parte del mensaje está firmada digitalmente --]

* Re: tidy up code
       [not found]             ` <mailman.5343.1198389653.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-26  3:02               ` Umar Said
From: Umar Said @ 2007-12-26  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 03:01:32 -0300, Gabriel Parrondo wrote:
> Note that you don't really need to name the file with the usual
> extension for the file format. You can tell emacs that you're editing a
> C++ file with "M-x c++-mode", despite of its name.

Thank you. That also helps.

> I strongly recommend reading the emacs tutorial (C-h t) if you didn't
> already.

I have. Still it is not easy to comprehend though.