all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired + associating external programs
@ 2007-11-24  2:25 chandan
From: chandan @ 2007-11-24  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
  I am using emacs 22.1.1 on ubuntu 7.10.
I would like to know if there is any way of associating external
programs to known file types in "dired". For example, associating
* audio files (ogg, mp3, ...) with xmms,
* office files (odt, odp, ...) with openoffice,
* ...
Thanks,
chandan

* Re: dired + associating external programs
       [not found] <mailman.4007.1195871125.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-24  3:37 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-11-24  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

chandan <chandanlinster@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>   I am using emacs 22.1.1 on ubuntu 7.10.
> I would like to know if there is any way of associating external
> programs to known file types in "dired". For example, associating
> * audio files (ogg, mp3, ...) with xmms,
> * office files (odt, odp, ...) with openoffice,
> * ...

There are many ways to do this. There are some packages (check the emacs
wiki at http://www.emacswiki.org) and dired-x has some facilities to
configure dired so that when you hit ! it will make a guess as to the
program you want to run on that file. There was a package posted to
g.e.sources and this group in the last week or so that implemented ways to
call external probrams, but I don't remember the name of it.

The way I solved this was to use defadvice on view-file which looked at the
file extension of the file about to be viewed and if it was one that had a
recognised type, I would handle it in some particular way (convert to text,
render in w3m etc), otherwise, just view as normal.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: dired + associating external programs
@ 2007-11-24  7:33   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-11-24  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim X; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> chandan <chandanlinster@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>   I am using emacs 22.1.1 on ubuntu 7.10.
>> I would like to know if there is any way of associating external
>> programs to known file types in "dired". For example, associating
>> * audio files (ogg, mp3, ...) with xmms,
>> * office files (odt, odp, ...) with openoffice,
>> * ...
>
> There are many ways to do this. There are some packages (check the emacs
> wiki at http://www.emacswiki.org) and dired-x has some facilities to
> configure dired so that when you hit ! it will make a guess as to the
> program you want to run on that file. There was a package posted to
> g.e.sources and this group in the last week or so that implemented ways to
> call external probrams, but I don't remember the name of it.
>
> The way I solved this was to use defadvice on view-file which looked at the
> file extension of the file about to be viewed and if it was one that had a
> recognised type, I would handle it in some particular way (convert to text,
> render in w3m etc), otherwise, just view as normal.
>
> Tim

Hi, i use extview.el, it's work fine.
It read in a .mailcap file.

--