all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* fit-frame every time i open a file
@ 2007-10-15 13:07 alxx
From: alxx @ 2007-10-15 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm been using emacs (well, Aquamacs for the past year) but I'm still on a
beginner's level. I've went through some of the available tutorials and I'm
also a computer programmer, so I should at least pretend to understand emacs
better :)

Here's my question. I've been getting tired of manually calling fit-frame
everytime I open a file with long lines (I have a wide-screen iMac so soft
wrapping doesn't make much sense), and I would like to know if there's any
easy way to tell emacs to call fit-frame everytime it opens a file.

I tried to hook fit-frame to some of the hooks (specifically,
after-make-frame) but it didn't seem to do much (at least in Aquamacs).
Since I've noticed that Aquamacs sets the mark after each file opening, I
tried to hook fit-frame to activate-mark-hook and that did the trick, except
-- you guessed it -- my window is all over the screen everytime I select
anything.

Does anyone know what the correct hook would be to make fit-frame run each
time I open a file? Or what's the correct way to do this?

Thank you!