all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: How big is the "niche" of Emacs users?
@ 2007-10-18 19:11 roodwriter
From: roodwriter @ 2007-10-18 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I can't imagine how you'd figure out usable numbers of
users. Emacs is a free program as and such is copied and
recopied from machine to machine. How hard would it be to
download one copy and then put it on 5,000 machines? The
server with the original copy would only count one download.

I do remember that the owner of O'Reilly Publishing says his
Vi book outsells the Emacs book two to one. But I also
understand that he says that Emacs' built-in tutorial may
affect those numbers.

I'm the only one I know personally who uses Emacs, but I'm a
writer, not a programmer. The only other person I know that
used to use it is a nephew. But he works as a programmer and
told me that peer-pressure forced him to go to Vi.

Not much help.

--Rod
______________________
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for
Practical
Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by
e-mail
take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.

[parent not found: <mailman.2247.1192719448.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* How big is the "niche" of Emacs users?
@ 2007-10-18 15:57 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-18 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I recently received an e-mail from a friend (no matter what was the
discussion about) saying that he wanted his views to reach a lot of
users, not only the "niche" of Emacs users.

Then I started to figure out how large is this "niche".

Of course, the word "niche" implies that we are able to define something
like the ecological "competitors" (what are the softwares around Emacs?)
which might not be trivial given Emacs is so versatile.

Anyway, I've found Xah Lee's list here:

  http://xahlee.org/emacs/text_editor_trends.html

But I don't know exactly how it was produced: how did he use Google
Trends to get it?  Other request: where could I possibly find absolute
numbers?  Is it possible to infer them somehow?

Thanks for any hint,

--
Bastien