all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs22: strange behaviour of C-x
@ 2007-10-05 12:26 Ulrich Scholz
From: Ulrich Scholz @ 2007-10-05 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

after upgrading to Gnu Emacs 22 I discovered a new, strange behaviour
of C-x.

On my system I use C-x as prefix for, e.g., operations on rectangles
(rect.el).  C-x r c runs the command clear-rectangle. With Gnu Emacs
21 I marked a rectangle with the mouse, pressed C-x r c, and the
rectangle was filled with spaces - great.

Now with Gnu Emacs 22 things have become strange: After marking the
rectangle and pressing C-x, the rectangle is killed.  In other words:
Before I can press "r c" or anything else, simply the "C-x" kills the
rectangle.

Now, If I undo the killing and then immediately press "C-x r c", the
marked rectangle is cleard as before.

"C-h k C-x" gives no result (meaning that more key strokes are
necessary for a mapping to a function, e.g., "C-x r c" to clear-
rectangle).

What is happening here?

Ulrich

* Re: emacs22: strange behaviour of C-x
@ 2007-10-05 13:44 ` jcarrete
From: jcarrete @ 2007-10-05 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Now with Gnu Emacs 22 things have become strange: After marking the
> rectangle and pressing C-x, the rectangle is killed.  In other words:
> Before I can press "r c" or anything else, simply the "C-x" kills the
> rectangle.

Do you have cua-mode activated? If that is the case, C-x works as in
Windows (cuts the selected text).

* Re: emacs22: strange behaviour of C-x
@ 2007-10-06 16:59 ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-10-06 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Scholz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ulrich Scholz <d5@thispla.net> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> after upgrading           cs 22 I discovered a new, strange behaviour
> of C-x.
>
> On my system I            prefix for, e.g., operations on rectangles
> (rect.el).  C-x           he command clear-rectangle. With Gnu Emacs
> 21 I marked a r           th the mouse, pressed C-x r c, and the
> rectangle was f           spaces - great.
>
> Now with Gnu Em           gs have become strange: After marking the
> rectangle and p           , the rectangle is killed.  In other words:
> Before I can pr           r anything else, simply the "C-x" kills the
> rectangle.
>
> Now, If I undo             and then immediately press "C-x r c", the
> marked rectangle is cleard as before.
>
> "C-h k C-x" gives no result (meaning that more key strokes are
> necessary for a mapping to a function, e.g., "C-x r c" to clear-
> rectangle).
>
> What is happening here?

No idea, for me it works as before Emacs 22.

GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20) of 2007-09-15 on elegiac, modified by Debian

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: emacs22: strange behaviour of C-x
@ 2007-10-15 13:22   ` Ulrich Scholz
From: Ulrich Scholz @ 2007-10-15 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 5, 3:44 pm, jcarr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Do you have cua-mode activated? If that is the case, C-x works as in
> Windows (cuts the selected text).

Thanks. Now that I've disabled cua-mode, everything works as expected.

Ulrich