all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: The secret of hand compiling LISP/Scheme
       [not found]     ` <9IednSg4XasAkJfanZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@eclipse.net.uk>
@ 2007-10-08 20:41       ` gnuist006
From: gnuist006 @ 2007-10-08 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 8, 3:59 am, Tony Garnock-Jones
<you.can.find.me.thro...@google.easily> wrote:
> gnuist...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > I prefer detailed treatment of this subject that is actually useful.
>
> I suspect you'll enjoyhttp://www.annexia.org/forth, which is an
> extremely well written step-by-step essay, at the end of which you have
> produced, in assembly language, from scratch, a running FORTH system for
> i386/linux.
>
> Once you understand that, the steps required to retarget to a running
> Scheme system are few: the design of an object model for scheme objects;
> the design and implementation of a simple garbage collector; a few more
> primitives; and you're done.

Tony, thanks for the info. But why do I need to go to forth for
this? why cant someone show me how to hand compile the jmc.pdf
into an assembly code like L. Peter Deutsch, a 13-15 year old
kid wrote and PUBLISHED as the first author, making money from
the ARPA grant because his father worked in the area and he
had the connections to get the info from the place where it was
discovered. I suspect they thought that the kid is safer and
less competitive than some grown up to share the info.

* Re: The secret of hand compiling LISP/Scheme
@ 2007-10-08 21:16         ` Tony Garnock-Jones
From: Tony Garnock-Jones @ 2007-10-08 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

gnuist006@hotmail.com wrote:
> Tony, thanks for the info. But why do I need to go to forth for
> this?

It's not that you need to go to FORTH - it's that the techniques so
lucidly explained by Richard Jones in his essay
(http://www.annexia.org/_file/jonesforth.s.txt) generalise with *very*
few modifications to implementing Scheme. I encourage you to read the
essay. I believe that if you do so, you will start to see the
relationship between the very low level and the very high level that you
are interested in.

You will need not very much more assembly to build (the kernel of) a
Scheme than to build (the kernel of) a FORTH.

Regards,
   Tony

* Re: The secret of hand compiling LISP/Scheme
@ 2007-10-09 11:21         ` Kaz Kylheku
From: Kaz Kylheku @ 2007-10-09 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 8, 1:41 pm, gnuist...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Tony, thanks for the info. But why do I need to go to forth for
> this? why cant someone show me how to hand compile the jmc.pdf
> into an assembly code like L. Peter Deutsch, a 13-15 year old
> kid wrote and PUBLISHED as the first author, making money from
> the ARPA grant because his father worked in the area and he
> had the connections to get the info from the place where it was
> discovered. I suspect they thought that the kid is safer and
> less competitive than some grown up to share the info.

Your question is not unlike that of that young man who, be it truth or
legend, wrote to composer Wolfgang A. Mozart, asking for advice about
how to get started in writing symphonies. Mozart replied that a
symphony is a complex musical form, and that one should start by
writing simpler works and work his way up over years. The man
objected, "But Herr Mozart, you were already writing symphonies when
you were eight years old!" To which Mozart replied, "Indeed, but I
didn't have to ask how."

Like young Mozart, Peter Deutsch probably didn't have to ask how. He
may have had access to equipment and people through his father, but
ultimately he did the grunt work of taking a high level program as a
specification of behavior, and writing the corresponding assembly
program.