all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* change default split when opening 2 files ?
@ 2007-10-03 14:59 the matt
From: the matt @ 2007-10-03 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I open 2 files, the default is to open each file in its own frame
with one on top of the other.

Is there a way to change the default so that it opens the files side-
by-side instead?

Thanks

Matt

* Re: change default split when opening 2 files ?
@ 2007-10-03 17:49 ` aartist
From: aartist @ 2007-10-03 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 3, 10:59 am, the matt <m...@kettlewell.net> wrote:
> When I open 2 files, the default is to open each file in its own frame
> with one on top of the other.
>
> Is there a way to change the default so that it opens the files side-
> by-side instead?
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt

How do you open 2 file simultaneously?

* Re: change default split when opening 2 files ?
@ 2007-10-03 19:30   ` TazaTek
From: TazaTek @ 2007-10-03 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 3, 11:49 am, aartist <aart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 10:59 am, the matt <m...@kettlewell.net> wrote:
>
> > When I open 2 files, the default is to open each file in its own frame
> > with one on top of the other.
>
> > Is there a way to change the default so that it opens the files side-
> > by-side instead?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Matt
>
> How do you open 2 file simultaneously?

$ emacs file1.txt file2.txt

* Re: change default split when opening 2 files ?
@ 2007-10-07 16:59 ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-10-07 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: the matt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

the matt <matt@kettlewell.net> writes:

> When I open 2 files, the default is to open each file in its own frame
> with one on top of the other.

For me the default behaviour is that Emacs 22 splits the frame and
shows two buffers at the same time.  Maybe you have to comment
something out in your .emacs file?

> Is there a way to change the default so that it opens the files side-
> by-side instead?

(The files are shown on top of each other but I think this behaviour
will change for wide screens and a future default will be side by
side.)

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm