all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-25  9:00 litchie
From: litchie @ 2007-09-25  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, All

I want to build a smaller emacs, I mean the executable emacs.exe.
Currently it is around 27M..

I hope to reduce it to a smaller size so as to hope it can start
faster.

Can somebody be kind enough to tell me how to do this?

Thanks
chaoji

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-25  9:10 ` Jason Rumney
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-09-25  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 25 Sep, 10:00, litchie <licha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> I want to build a smaller emacs, I mean the executable emacs.exe.
> Currently it is around 27M..
>
> I hope to reduce it to a smaller size so as to hope it can start
> faster.

Are you sure that it is the Emacs executable that is loading slowly,
and not things loaded from your .emacs? How quickly does emacs start
when you start it as "emacs -Q" from the command line?

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-25  9:33   ` litchie
From: litchie @ 2007-09-25  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 25, 5:10 pm, Jason Rumney <jasonrum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 Sep, 10:00, litchie <licha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, All
>
> > I want to build a smaller emacs, I mean the executable emacs.exe.
> > Currently it is around 27M..
>
> > I hope to reduce it to a smaller size so as to hope it can start
> > faster.
>
> Are you sure that it is the Emacs executable that is loading slowly,
> and not things loaded from your .emacs? How quickly does emacs start
> when you start it as "emacs -Q" from the command line?

Yes, it is fast now, since my .emacs is almost empty, not loading any
other packages.
However, I would be very glad if it can be as fast as notepad :)
I searched the web, but no result. Looks that people do not care about
this problem.

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-25 12:10     ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-09-25 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 25, 6:33 am, litchie <licha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 25, 5:10 pm, Jason Rumney <jasonrum...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 25 Sep, 10:00, litchie <licha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi, All
>
> > > I want to build a smaller emacs, I mean the executable emacs.exe.
> > > Currently it is around 27M..
>
> > > I hope to reduce it to a smaller size so as to hope it can start
> > > faster.
>
> > Are you sure that it is the Emacs executable that is loading slowly,
> > and not things loaded from your .emacs? How quickly does emacs start
> > when you start it as "emacs -Q" from the command line?
>
> Yes, it is fast now, since my .emacs is almost empty, not loading any
> other packages.
> However, I would be very glad if it can be as fast as notepad :)
> I searched the web, but no result. Looks that people do not care about
> this problem.

I had that concern when I was a beginner using emacs too.
That happens because you're used to close your editor after you make
some modifications to a file.
That is not how most emacs users use emacs. Instead you keep it
running for as long as your machine is on, and you can use a 'server'
to open files from Explorer (i presume you're using windows, since you
mentioned notepad)

Maybe you will gain some insight from this:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsClient

"EmacsClient allows one to open a file for editing in an already
running Emacs. Because it doesn't start a new Emacs instance at each
invocation, you can setup EmacsClient as the default editor ..."

Alternatively, I recently found a cool piece of software called qemacs
that is a "quick emacs", but it probably doesn't extend with lisp, so
you would be missing most of the cool functionality.

Hope this could help,
weber

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-25 12:17       ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-09-25 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 25, 9:10 am, weber <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 25, 6:33 am, litchie <licha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Are you sure that it is the Emacs executable that is loading slowly,
> > > and not things loaded from your .emacs? How quickly does emacs start
> > > when you start it as "emacs -Q" from the command line?
>
> > Yes, it is fast now, since my .emacs is almost empty, not loading any
> > other packages.
> > However, I would be very glad if it can be as fast as notepad :)
> > I searched the web, but no result. Looks that people do not care about
> > this problem.
>
> I had that concern when I was a beginner using emacs too.
> That happens because you're used to close your editor after you make
> some modifications to a file.
> That is not how most emacs users use emacs. Instead you keep it
> running for as long as your machine is on, and you can use a 'server'
> to open files from Explorer (i presume you're using windows, since you
> mentioned notepad)
>
> Maybe you will gain some insight from this:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsClient
>
> "EmacsClient allows one to open a file for editing in an already
> running Emacs. Because it doesn't start a new Emacs instance at each
> invocation, you can setup EmacsClient as the default editor ..."
>
> Alternatively, I recently found a cool piece of software called qemacs
> that is a "quick emacs", but it probably doesn't extend with lisp, so
> you would be missing most of the cool functionality.
>
> Hope this could help,
> weber

And I shall also mention that my best experience with emacs on windows
is with this package:

http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

You'll get this EmacsClient working "out of the box". Then you just
need to associate files you want to edit with emacs to the
emacsclientw.exe program and it will be almost immediate.

And then, sooner or later, you'll also realize that you also don't
need explorer so much, because you got a bunch of modes to help you
quickly open your files from inside emacs (ido, recentf, anything,
ffap, etc)

bye
-weber

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-25 17:25 ` David Hansen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Hansen @ 2007-09-25 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:00:56 -0700 litchie wrote:

> I want to build a smaller emacs, I mean the executable emacs.exe.
> Currently it is around 27M..

You can try to build it w/o all the image libraries and w/o X11
support.  If that isn't enough you can save another few 100kB by linking
against some other (non GNU) libc (e.g. μlibc or dietlibc), but you may
need to tweak the sources a bit.

David

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-25 20:17 ` Ken Goldman
       [not found] ` <mailman.1287.1190755789.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ken Goldman @ 2007-09-25 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I think your real question is: How do I get emacs to start faster?

If so, the standard solution is to run emacs as a server (e.g. gnuserv) and
only start the server once per session.  My emacs server process typically
runs for months at a time, so whether it takes 1 or 10 seconds to start
no longer
matters.

litchie wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> I want to build a smaller emacs, I mean the executable emacs.exe.
> Currently it is around 27M..
>
> I hope to reduce it to a smaller size so as to hope it can start
> faster.
>
> Can somebody be kind enough to tell me how to do this?

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-09-25 21:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1287.1190755789.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-25 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: litchie <lichaoji@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:00:56 -0700
>
> I want to build a smaller emacs, I mean the executable emacs.exe.
> Currently it is around 27M..

You mean, your executable file emacs.exe is 27MB?  It should be only
10MB (6MB if you strip off debugging info).

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-26  6:59         ` litchie
From: litchie @ 2007-09-26  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 25, 8:17 pm, weber <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 25, 9:10 am, weber <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, it is fast now, since my .emacs is almost empty, not loading any
> > > other packages.
> > > However, I would be very glad if it can be as fast as notepad :)
> > > I searched the web, but no result. Looks that people do not care about
> > > this problem.
>
> > I had that concern when I was a beginner using emacs too.
> > That happens because you're used to close your editor after you make
> > some modifications to a file.
> > That is not how most emacs users use emacs. Instead you keep it
> > running for as long as your machine is on, and you can use a 'server'
> > to open files from Explorer (i presume you're using windows, since you
> > mentioned notepad)
>
> > Maybe you will gain some insight from this:
>
> >http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsClient
>
> > "EmacsClient allows one to open a file for editing in an already
> > running Emacs. Because it doesn't start a new Emacs instance at each
> > invocation, you can setup EmacsClient as the default editor ..."
>
> > Alternatively, I recently found a cool piece of software called qemacs
> > that is a "quick emacs", but it probably doesn't extend with lisp, so
> > you would be missing most of the cool functionality.
>
> > Hope this could help,
> > weber
>
> And I shall also mention that my best experience with emacs on windows
> is with this package:
>
> http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html
>
> You'll get this EmacsClient working "out of the box". Then you just
> need to associate files you want to edit with emacs to the
> emacsclientw.exe program and it will be almost immediate.
>
> And then, sooner or later, you'll also realize that you also don't
> need explorer so much, because you got a bunch of modes to help you
> quickly open your files from inside emacs (ido, recentf, anything,
> ffap, etc)
>
> bye
> -weber

Thanks.

Today I got help from following link:

http://derekslager.com/blog/posts/2007/01/emacs-hack-2-manage-emacs-instances-with-gnuserv.ashx

@ 2007-09-26  7:00   ` litchie
From: litchie @ 2007-09-26  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 26, 5:29 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: litchie <licha...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:00:56 -0700
>
> > I want to build a smaller emacs, I mean the executable emacs.exe.
> > Currently it is around 27M..
>
> You mean, your executable file emacs.exe is 27MB?  It should be only
> 10MB (6MB if you strip off debugging info).

Could you please tell me how to do it? My system is winxp with MinGW.

Thanks in advance.

@ 2007-09-26  7:18     ` litchie
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1305.1190798128.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: litchie @ 2007-09-26  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 26, 3:00 pm, litchie <licha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 5:29 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > > From: litchie <licha...@gmail.com>
> > > Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:00:56 -0700
>
> > > I want to build a smaller emacs, I mean the executable emacs.exe.
> > > Currently it is around 27M..
>
> > You mean, your executable file emacs.exe is 27MB?  It should be only
> > 10MB (6MB if you strip off debugging info).
>
> Could you please tell me how to do it? My system is winxp with MinGW.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> chaoji

I find the strip utility and use --strip-all to get it down to 21MB.
It is still a bigger one than that you mentioned.

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-26  8:06           ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-09-26  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: litchie; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

litchie wrote:
> Today I got help from following link:
>
> http://derekslager.com/blog/posts/2007/01/emacs-hack-2-manage-emacs-instances-with-gnuserv.ashx

Though I believe that works nicely (I have not tested) it talks about
the old gnuserv/gnuclient. With Emacs 22 comes instead
emacsserver/emacsclient.

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-26  9:15       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1305.1190798128.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-26  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: litchie <lichaoji@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 00:18:57 -0700

> > > You mean, your executable file emacs.exe is 27MB?  It should be only
> > > 10MB (6MB if you strip off debugging info).
> >
> > Could you please tell me how to do it? My system is winxp with MinGW.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > chaoji
>
> I find the strip utility and use --strip-all to get it down to 21MB.
> It is still a bigger one than that you mentioned.

How did it get this large in the first place?  What compiler did you
use to build it?  If you didn't build it yourself, where did you
download the binary?

I didn't do anything special to build Emacs (with the MinGW port of
GCC), and the resulting binary emacs.exe is 10MB before stripping it.

@ 2007-09-26  9:37         ` litchie
From: litchie @ 2007-09-26  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 26, 5:15 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: litchie <licha...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 00:18:57 -0700

> > > Could you please tell me how to do it? My system is winxp with MinGW.
>
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > > chaoji
>
> > I find the strip utility and use --strip-all to get it down to 21MB.
> > It is still a bigger one than that you mentioned.
>
> How did it get this large in the first place?  What compiler did you
> use to build it?  If you didn't build it yourself, where did you
> download the binary?
>
> I didn't do anything special to build Emacs (with the MinGW port of
> GCC), and the resulting binary emacs.exe is 10MB before stripping it.

I built it with MinGW. (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)

The emacs.exe from  ntemacs.sourceforge.net is also around 20MB.

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-26  9:56           ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found]             ` <mailman.1312.1190804920.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-09-26  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: litchie; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 9/26/07, litchie <lichaoji@gmail.com> wrote:

> I built it with MinGW. (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)

My build is 11,4 MiB before stripping.

Configured with

  configure --with-gcc --no-cygwin --cflags -IC:/my/includes

and built with

  C:\emacs> gcc --version
  gcc (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw special)

M-x version =>

  GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-09-26 on JUANMAB

             Juanma

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-26 11:05           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-26 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: litchie <lichaoji@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 02:37:48 -0700
>
> > I didn't do anything special to build Emacs (with the MinGW port of
> > GCC), and the resulting binary emacs.exe is 10MB before stripping it.
>
> I built it with MinGW. (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
>
> The emacs.exe from  ntemacs.sourceforge.net is also around 20MB.

All I can say is I'm stumped.

What does "objdump -h emacs.exe" display?

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-26 11:08             ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]               ` <mailman.1314.1190807921.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]             ` <mailman.1312.1190804920.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-26 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:56:23 +0200
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> On 9/26/07, litchie <lichaoji@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I built it with MinGW. (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
>
> My build is 11,4 MiB before stripping.
>
> Configured with
>
>   configure --with-gcc --no-cygwin --cflags -IC:/my/includes
>
> and built with
>
>   C:\emacs> gcc --version
>   gcc (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw special)
>   Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> M-x version =>
>
>   GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-09-26 on JUANMAB

That's the CVS version; on my machine its size is 12MB.  I was talking
about Emacs 22.1, which is slightly smaller.

Which begs the question to chaoji: what version of Emacs were _you_
talking about?  Maybe we are comparing very different programs.

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-26 11:58               ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found]               ` <mailman.1314.1190807921.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-09-26 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 9/26/07, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> That's the CVS version; on my machine its size is 12MB.  I was talking
> about Emacs 22.1, which is slightly smaller.

Sorry, you're right.

My 22.1 binary is 9,99 MiB (10.470.815 bytes).

> Which begs the question to chaoji: what version of Emacs were _you_
> talking about?  Maybe we are comparing very different programs.

Still, 20+ MiB is weird.

             Juanma

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-26 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> That's the CVS version; on my machine its size is 12MB.  I was talking
>> about Emacs 22.1, which is slightly smaller.

> Sorry, you're right.

> My 22.1 binary is 9,99 MiB (10.470.815 bytes).

>> Which begs the question to chaoji: what version of Emacs were _you_
>> talking about?  Maybe we are comparing very different programs.

> Still, 20+ MiB is weird.

Unless he's using Emacs-25 already,

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-26 19:49                   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-09-26 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> That's the CVS version; on my machine its size is 12MB.  I was talking
>>> about Emacs 22.1, which is slightly smaller.
>
>> Sorry, you're right.
>
>> My 22.1 binary is 9,99 MiB (10.470.815 bytes).
>
>>> Which begs the question to chaoji: what version of Emacs were _you_
>>> talking about?  Maybe we are comparing very different programs.
>
>> Still, 20+ MiB is weird.
>
> Unless he's using Emacs-25 already,

Whose idea was bidirectional compilation, anyway?

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-26 20:49                     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-26 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

Am 26.09.2007 um 21:49 schrieb David Kastrup:

>> Unless he's using Emacs-25 already,
>
> Whose idea was bidirectional compilation, anyway?

Is this faster than usual? Or will the unidirectionally rotating disk
be a bottle-neck? Then it would be better to use a small RAM disk ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

There is no national science just as there is no national
multiplication table; what is national is no longer science.
                                       -- Anton Checov

@ 2007-09-27  4:33               ` litchie
From: litchie @ 2007-09-27  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 26, 7:08 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:56:23 +0200
> > From: "Juanma Barranquero" <lek...@gmail.com>
> > Cc: help-gnu-em...@gnu.org
>
> > On 9/26/07, litchie <licha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I built it with MinGW. (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
>
> > My build is 11,4 MiB before stripping.
>
> > Configured with
>
> >   configure --with-gcc --no-cygwin --cflags -IC:/my/includes
>
> > and built with
>
> >   C:\emacs> gcc --version
> >   gcc (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw special)
> >   Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> > M-x version =>
>
> >   GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-09-26 on JUANMAB
>
> That's the CVS version; on my machine its size is 12MB.  I was talking
> about Emacs 22.1, which is slightly smaller.
>
> Which begs the question to chaoji: what version of Emacs were _you_
> talking about?  Maybe we are comparing very different programs.

EliZ,

I was talking about ntemacs23, the CVS head version.
And I have also tried emacs 22 just now, the result is 7MB, after
stripped.

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-27  4:41                 ` litchie
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.1374.1190879783.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: litchie @ 2007-09-27  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 27, 12:33 pm, litchie <licha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 7:08 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
>

> > > Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:56:23 +0200
> > > From: "Juanma Barranquero" <lek...@gmail.com>
> > > Cc: help-gnu-em...@gnu.org

> > > My build is 11,4 MiB before stripping.
>
> > > Configured with
>
> > >   configure --with-gcc --no-cygwin --cflags -IC:/my/includes
>
> > > and built with
>
> > >   C:\emacs> gcc --version
> > >   gcc (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw special)
> > >   Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> > > M-x version =>
>
> > >   GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-09-26 on JUANMAB
>
> > That's the CVS version; on my machine its size is 12MB.  I was talking
> > about Emacs 22.1, which is slightly smaller.
>
> > Which begs the question to chaoji: what version of Emacs were _you_
> > talking about?  Maybe we are comparing very different programs.
>
> EliZ,
>
> I was talking about ntemacs23, the CVS head version.
> And I have also tried emacs 22 just now, the result is 7MB, after
> stripped.

To be more accurate:

 Directory of D:\Emacs22\bin
09/27/2007  11:56 AM         7,424,000 emacs.exe

 Directory of D:\software\ntemacs23\bin
09/26/2007  10:40 AM        21,391,938 emacs.exe

A better title for my post may be:
How to build a smaller emacs23?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks.

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-27  7:56                 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.1374.1190879783.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-27  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: litchie <lichaoji@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:33:40 -0700
>
> I was talking about ntemacs23, the CVS head version.

Is it really CVS HEAD, or is it the unicode-2 branch?

CVS HEAD gives me only 12MB, not 21MB.

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-27  8:11   ` Peter Danenberg
From: Peter Danenberg @ 2007-09-27  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 07:25:10PM +0200, David Hansen wrote:
> You can try to build it w/o all the image libraries and w/o X11
> support.

I have to confer with David; building --without-x produces a lean
executable (~7MB), if you have the discipline to work in console-dom.

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-27  9:08                   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-27  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: litchie; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 27.09.2007 um 06:41 schrieb litchie:

>  Directory of D:\software\ntemacs23\bin
> 09/26/2007  10:40 AM        21,391,938 emacs.exe

This looks more like GNU Emacs 23.0.0, i.e. the unicode-2 branch.

I presume that on MS Losedows the family of vc-*.el files is
standard. Then you could open a C or C header file from the src
directory and read the mode-line. It will tell you from which branch
the file and the ready programme come.

--
Greetings

   Pete

   It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
                     -- Garfield

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-28  3:38                   ` sxzzsf
From: sxzzsf @ 2007-09-28  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 9 27 ,   12 41 , litchie <licha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That's the CVS version; on my machine its size is 12MB.  I was talking
> > > aboutEmacs22.1, which is slightly smaller.
>
> > > Which begs the question to chaoji: what version ofEmacswere _you_
> > > talking about?  Maybe we are comparing very different programs.
>
> > EliZ,
>
> > I was talking about ntemacs23, the CVS head version.
> > And I have also triedemacs22 just now, the result is 7MB, after
> > stripped.
>
> To be more accurate:
>
>  Directory of D:\Emacs22\bin
> 09/27/2007  11:56 AM         7,424,000emacs.exe
>
>  Directory of D:\software\ntemacs23\bin
> 09/26/2007  10:40 AM        21,391,938emacs.exe
>
> A better title for my post may be:
> How to build a smaller emacs23?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> thanks.-         -
>
> -         -

It seems while building emacs, you have not built emacs with option "--
no-debug", for cvs branch "debug is on" default, you can check this in
file nt/configure.bat.

* Re: How to build a smaller emacs
@ 2007-09-28  8:33                     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-28  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: sxzzsf@gmail.com
> Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 03:38:22 -0000
>
> >  Directory of D:\Emacs22\bin
> > 09/27/2007  11:56 AM         7,424,000emacs.exe
> >
> >  Directory of D:\software\ntemacs23\bin
> > 09/26/2007  10:40 AM        21,391,938emacs.exe
> >
> > A better title for my post may be:
> > How to build a smaller emacs23?
> >
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> > thanks.-         -
> >
> > -         -
>
> It seems while building emacs, you have not built emacs with option "--
> no-debug", for cvs branch "debug is on" default, you can check this in
> file nt/configure.bat.

But I also build without --no-debug, and so is Juanma (because we
happen to debug Emacs quite often).  And we still get a much smaller
executable.

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-28 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I was talking about ntemacs23, the CVS head version.
> Is it really CVS HEAD, or is it the unicode-2 branch?
> CVS HEAD gives me only 12MB, not 21MB.

Please let's try not to use "HEAD" but "trunk".
Every CVS branch has a HEAD: the trunk, the 22 branch, the unicode branch, ...