all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* question to pop-to-buffer
@ 2003-08-28  9:24 Klaus Berndl
       [not found] ` <mailman.1182.1062077784.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-08-28  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

the docstring of `pop-to-buffer':

pop-to-buffer is a built-in function.
(pop-to-buffer BUFFER &optional OTHER-WINDOW NORECORD)

This uses the function `display-buffer' as a subroutine; see the documentation
of `display-buffer' for additional customization information.

my question: Does pop-to-buffer use the lisp-version of display-buffer or the
C-version? I have adviced display-buffer but when i call pop-to-buffer then
this advice seems not to be called...Therefore my question above.

Thanks in advance!
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: question to pop-to-buffer
@ 2003-08-28 14:19 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1182.1062077784.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-08-28 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 28 Aug 2003 11:24:06 +0200
>
> my question: Does pop-to-buffer use the lisp-version of display-buffer or the
> C-version?

display-buffer is itself a built-in function, which means there's
only a C version of it.

> I have adviced display-buffer but when i call pop-to-buffer then
> this advice seems not to be called...

You cannot advice built-in functions.

* Re: question to pop-to-buffer
       [not found] ` <mailman.1182.1062077784.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-08-28 17:04   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-08-28 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>From: Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de>
>>Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>>Date: 28 Aug 2003 11:24:06 +0200
>>
>>my question: Does pop-to-buffer use the lisp-version of display-buffer or the
>>C-version?
>
> display-buffer is itself a built-in function, which means there's
> only a C version of it.

More precisely: there's only a C implementation of it.  But there is a Lisp
binding as well.

>>I have adviced display-buffer but when i call pop-to-buffer then
>>this advice seems not to be called...
>
> You cannot advice built-in functions.

Actually, you can, but it will only have an effect if the function is called

via its Lisp binding.  Since built-in functions almost always call other
built-in functions via their C binding, advising display-buffer will not
affect its behavior when it's called by pop-to-buffer.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: question to pop-to-buffer
@ 2003-08-29  7:04     ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-08-29  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Kevin Rodgers wrote:

>  Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >>From: Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de>
> >>Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> >>Date: 28 Aug 2003 11:24:06 +0200
> >>
> >>my question: Does pop-to-buffer use the lisp-version of display-buffer or
> >>the C-version?
> > display-buffer is itself a built-in function, which means there's
> > only a C version of it.
>

>  More precisely: there's only a C implementation of it.  But there is a Lisp
>  binding as well.
>

> >>I have adviced display-buffer but when i call pop-to-buffer then
> >>this advice seems not to be called...
> > You cannot advice built-in functions.
>
>  Actually, you can, but it will only have an effect if the function is
>  called
>
>  via its Lisp binding.  Since built-in functions almost always call other
>  built-in functions via their C binding, advising display-buffer will not
>  affect its behavior when it's called by pop-to-buffer.

Thanks, Kevin, this was exactly the answer i expect. I have already assumed
that but i wanted to get sure.

Klaus