all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Anything.el & sucessive refinements
@ 2007-08-29 16:19 weber
From: weber @ 2007-08-29 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello folks!
I'm posting an idea here, and hoping maybe someone can (tell me how
to) add it to anything.el.
It would be really cool if we mapped this new command, say anything-
refine, to Ctrl-Enter and then, instead of just acting on the
highlighted entry, a new candidates list would be generated containing
only the ones that matched the filter.

This would allow one to find files this way (which seems very natural
for me):
py <C-ret> filename <ret> or  muse <C-ret> 2007 <C-ret> 21 <ret>

Also it's boring when you type a string and only then you realize it
is too "broad", so you have to start all over, etc.

What do you think about it ?

Regards,
weber

* Re: Anything.el & sucessive refinements
@ 2007-09-01  5:01 ` spamfilteraccount
From: spamfilteraccount @ 2007-09-01  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 29, 6:19 pm, weber <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello folks!
> I'm posting an idea here, and hoping maybe someone can (tell me how
> to) add it toanything.el.
> It would be really cool if we mapped this new command, sayanything-
> refine, to Ctrl-Enter and then, instead of just acting on the
> highlighted entry, a new candidates list would be generated containing
> only the ones that matched the filter.
>
> This would allow one to find files this way (which seems very natural
> for me):
> py <C-ret> filename <ret> or  muse <C-ret> 2007 <C-ret> 21 <ret>
>
> Also it's boring when you type a string and only then you realize it
> is too "broad", so you have to start all over, etc.
>
> What do you think about it ?

Interesting idea. I'll think about it. Right know you can use anything-
isearch to search within results which is not exactly what you want,
but can be helpful to an extent.

* Re: Anything.el & sucessive refinements
@ 2007-09-01  5:06 ` spamfilteraccount
From: spamfilteraccount @ 2007-09-01  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 29, 6:19 pm, weber <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello folks!
> I'm posting an idea here, and hoping maybe someone can (tell me how
> to) add it toanything.el.
> It would be really cool if we mapped this new command, sayanything-
> refine, to Ctrl-Enter and then, instead of just acting on the
> highlighted entry, a new candidates list would be generated containing
> only the ones that matched the filter.
>
> This would allow one to find files this way (which seems very natural
> for me):
> py <C-ret> filename <ret> or  muse <C-ret> 2007 <C-ret> 21 <ret>

Of course, the pattern is a regexp, so if you typed "py" then you can
also extend it to "something.*py", etc