all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to format a assignment statement in cc-mode
@ 2007-08-30  9:01 Yu Hong
       [not found] ` <mailman.63.1188479300.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Yu Hong @ 2007-08-30  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have some assignment statements like the following:

int first_variable = 1;
unsigned char another_variable = 'c';

I'm wandering how to make all the all the variable names start on the
same column. And the following equal signs, literal values should all
start on the same column. In this way the statements can be easier to
read. How can i do this easily in emacs? Thanks.

* Re: how to format a assignment statement in cc-mode
@ 2007-08-30 12:57 ` David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.63.1188479300.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2007-08-30 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:01:24 -0700 Yu Hong wrote:

> I have some assignment statements like the following:
>
> int first_variable = 1;
> unsigned char another_variable = 'c';
>
> I'm wandering how to make all the all the variable names start on the
> same column. And the following equal signs, literal values should all
> start on the same column. In this way the statements can be easier to
> read. How can i do this easily in emacs? Thanks.

I haven't tried it myself, but i think the `align' package can do such
stuff (ships with Emacs 22).

David

@ 2007-08-31  0:57   ` Yu Hong
From: Yu Hong @ 2007-08-31  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 30, 8:57 pm, David Hansen <david.han...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:01:24 -0700 Yu Hong wrote:
>
> > I have some assignment statements like the following:
>
> > int first_variable = 1;
> > unsigned char another_variable = 'c';
>
> > I'm wandering how to make all the all the variable names start on the
> > same column. And the following equal signs, literal values should all
> > start on the same column. In this way the statements can be easier to
> > read. How can i do this easily in emacs? Thanks.
>
> I haven't tried it myself, but i think the `align' package can do such
> stuff (ships with Emacs 22).
>
> David

Yes, `M-x align-current' works. Thanks, David.

* Re: how to format a assignment statement in cc-mode
@ 2007-08-31  5:01   ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2007-08-31  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> I haven't tried it myself, but i think the `align' package can do such
> stuff (ships with Emacs 22).

Correct. After `M-x align' on marked region, it turns into:

,----
`----

--
William