all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* One .emacs for three operating system
@ 2007-08-14 21:45 Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2007-08-14 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, I run emacs under windows xp, fedora 7 and solaris (unknown
version). I want to use the same .emacs for all three operating systems.
On Windows and fedora I have 22.1 or later, on Solaris I have 21.4
because the admins don't like to upgrade software at all, it seems.

Anyway, I have a few things I need to do differently on Solaris so I've
been trying to determine if I'm running Solaris by checking the value of
$HOME (crude, I know, I'd like to hear of a better way). Since I don't
know lisp this is not trivial for me.

First I did (in scratch):

(getenv "HOME")C-j
Prints expected string.

Then I tried to do a comparison

(if (eq (getenv "HOME") "/home/on/solaris")
    (message "Duh")
)C-j

but I get the output Nil from that.

So I thought that maybe it doens't like the nested getenv call for some
reason, so I tried.
(setq u (getenv "HOME"))C-j
Ok, prints expected result.
But then I noticed something that's odd to me who doesn't know lisp, if I do
(print u)C-j
it prints the home directory twice...so I started to wondering if u
contains the string once or twice... When I tried use the variable u in
the if statement instead of the nested getenv call the result was Nil
once again.

anyway, as you can see I'm really confused, I just want to add some
if/else-statements to my emacs.

if running-under-solaris is true
    do this
else ; assume we are running under winxp or fedora7
    do that

- Eric

* Re: One .emacs for three operating system
       [not found] <mailman.4784.1187128218.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-14 22:09 ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-08-14 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 14 ago, 18:45, Eric Lilja <mindcoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I run emacs under windows xp, fedora 7 and solaris (unknown
> version). I want to use the same .emacs for all three operating systems.
> On Windows and fedora I have 22.1 or later, on Solaris I have 21.4
> because the admins don't like to upgrade software at all, it seems.
>
> Anyway, I have a few things I need to do differently on Solaris so I've
> been trying to determine if I'm running Solaris by checking the value of
> $HOME (crude, I know, I'd like to hear of a better way). Since I don't
> know lisp this is not trivial for me.
>
> First I did (in scratch):
>
> (getenv "HOME")C-j
> Prints expected string.
>
> Then I tried to do a comparison
>
> (if (eq (getenv "HOME") "/home/on/solaris")
>     (message "Duh")
> )C-j
>
> but I get the output Nil from that.
>
> So I thought that maybe it doens't like the nested getenv call for some
> reason, so I tried.
> (setq u (getenv "HOME"))C-j
> Ok, prints expected result.
> But then I noticed something that's odd to me who doesn't know lisp, if I do
> (print u)C-j
> it prints the home directory twice...so I started to wondering if u
> contains the string once or twice... When I tried use the variable u in
> the if statement instead of the nested getenv call the result was Nil
> once again.
>
> anyway, as you can see I'm really confused, I just want to add some
> if/else-statements to my emacs.
>
> if running-under-solaris is true
>     do this
> else ; assume we are running under winxp or fedora7
>     do that
>
> - Eric

Nop, the error is on the "eq" function.
In this case you probably want to use string-eq for comparison.
I use this:

(if (string-equal (getenv "HOME") "/your/path/")
	(my-sun-config)
	(my-pc-config))

(defun my-sun-config ()
  (color-theme-arjen))

(defun my-pc-config ()
  (color-theme-emacs-21))

HTH,
weber

* Re: One .emacs for three operating system
@ 2007-08-14 22:21 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2007-08-14 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Lilja <mindcooler@gmail.com> writes:

> (if (eq (getenv "HOME") "/home/on/solaris")
>    (message "Duh")
> )

Try `equal' rather than `eq'.

* Re: One .emacs for three operating system
@ 2007-08-14 23:35 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-08-14 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Eric> if running-under-solaris is true do this else ; assume we
    Eric>    are running under winxp or fedora7 do that

I do just that sort of thing like this:

(case system-type
  ((windows-nt)
   "Boy, I'm unhappy because I'm running on Windoze")
  ((cygwin32 cygwin)
   (setq desktop-modes-not-to-save `(dired-mode)))
  ((darwin)
   ("OS X")
   (setq grep-command "egrep --color=never -nH -e "))
  ((gnu/linux)
   (setq freedom-level "'Free' as in 'Belgian Ale'")))

--
The only form of intelligence that really matters is the capacity to predict.
        -- Colin Blakemore

* Re: One .emacs for three operating system
@ 2007-08-14 23:59   ` Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2007-08-14 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Hanchrow wrote:

>     Eric> if running-under-solaris is true do this else ; assume we
>     Eric>    are running under winxp or fedora7 do that
>
> I do just that sort of thing like this:
>
> (case system-type
>   ((windows-nt)
>    "Boy, I'm unhappy because I'm running on Windoze")
>   ((cygwin32 cygwin)
>    (setq desktop-modes-not-to-save `(dired-mode)))
>   ((darwin)
>    ("OS X")
>    (setq grep-command "egrep --color=never -nH -e "))
>   ((gnu/linux)
>    (setq freedom-level "'Free' as in 'Belgian Ale'")))

Thanks Eric! Someone suggested cond in a private email but I actually
like your version better. Thanks also to the other replies, I appreciate it!

- Eric