all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Emacs + python
       [not found] <ak8x8v2udo.fsf@googlemail.com>
@ 2007-08-01 14:53 ` Dale Strickland-Clark
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Dale Strickland-Clark @ 2007-08-01 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron wrote:

> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.
>
> Any help and shared experiences much appreciated.

I typed 'python emacs' into Google and came up with this:

http://www.python.org/emacs/

As the first hit.

What did you try?
--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Riverhall Systems - www.riverhall.co.uk

* Re: Emacs + python
       [not found] <ak8x8v2udo.fsf@googlemail.com>
@ 2007-08-01 14:53 ` Bjoern Schliessmann
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Bjoern Schliessmann @ 2007-08-01 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron wrote:
> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with
> emacs please

Yes, Google can.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PythonMode

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #115:

your keyboard's space bar is generating spurious keycodes.

* Re: Emacs + python
       [not found] <ak8x8v2udo.fsf@googlemail.com>
@ 2007-08-01 14:58 ` Bruno Desthuilliers
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruno Desthuilliers @ 2007-08-01 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron a écrit :
> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.

There's a python-mode distributed with Python[1]. It of course takes
care of indentation and syntax-hiliting, but also allows to run a Python
interpreter in another buffer, and to send either the whole or part of
the python file you're editing to it.

pdb is also well integrated : you have the pdb prompt in the Python
interpreter buffer, and sync with the current line in the python file's
buffer.

If you want to turn your emacs into a full-blown IDE, just add ECB
(Emacs Code browser) to the mix, and you'll have files and code explorer
too.

[1] latest emacs version also have one which I haven't tested yet - does
someone knows the differences BTW ?.

* Re: Emacs + python
       [not found] <ak8x8v2udo.fsf@googlemail.com>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-08-01 15:23 ` theju
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: theju @ 2007-08-01 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.

Emacs already comes with Python-modes. If your version doesn't have it
already installed then check http://sourceforge.net/projects/python-mode/

Well it is not possible to debug within Emacs....so you'll still have
to rely on your shell.

Cheers
Thejaswi Puthraya

* Re: Emacs + python
       [not found] <ak8x8v2udo.fsf@googlemail.com>
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-08-01 15:45 ` Alexander Schmolck
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Alexander Schmolck @ 2007-08-01 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> writes:

> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.
>
> Any help and shared experiences much appreciated.

Download and install ipython, python-mode.el, ipython.el. It will, amongst
other things, give you

a) debugger integration (try ``debug`` after an uncaught exception; also try
   ``pdb on``). I find this fantastically useful
b) tab completion, convenient help (``?some_object``), editing the source code
   corresponding to the definition of some object ``ed some_object``
c) convenient shell access and caputuring of output of shell commands into
   python string-lists and strings

I don't read gnu.emacs.help, so I won't read followups there.

HTH,

'as

* Re: Emacs + python
@ 2007-08-01 15:51   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-01 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bjoern Schliessmann <usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss@spamgourmet.com>
writes:

> Hadron wrote:
>> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with
>> emacs please
>
> Yes, Google can.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PythonMode
>
> Regards,
>

> Björn

Yes. I know. But I am asking for any personal recommendations or hints
and tips. As always with emacs there are many ways to crack an egg.

* Re: Emacs + python
@ 2007-08-01 15:52   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-01 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dale Strickland-Clark <dale@riverhall.nospam.co.uk> writes:

> Hadron wrote:
>

>> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
>> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.
>>
>> Any help and shared experiences much appreciated.
>
> I typed 'python emacs' into Google and came up with this:
>
> http://www.python.org/emacs/
>
> As the first hit.
>
> What did you try?

The same, but it didn't come up with seasoned emacs python users
recommendations and hint and tips which is what I am really looking for.

* Re: Emacs + python
       [not found] <ak8x8v2udo.fsf@googlemail.com>
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-08-01 20:23 ` Stefan Behnel
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Behnel @ 2007-08-01 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron wrote:
> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.
>
> Any help and shared experiences much appreciated.

AFAIR, the Python distribution comes with a Python mode for Emacs.

Apart from that, see here:

http://www.python.org/emacs/

* Re: Emacs + python
       [not found] <ak8x8v2udo.fsf@googlemail.com>
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-08-02 15:06 ` hide1713
       [not found] ` <1186128043.721506.102250@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>
From: hide1713 @ 2007-08-02 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 1, 10:37 pm, Hadron <hadronqu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.
>
> Any help and shared experiences much appreciated.

Sorry. As far as i know, Emacs doesn't provide any practical autofill
methods like idle or pythonwin.
I haven't seen any one could make cscope & ECB work in python(If you
know anyone,please tell me)
Besides that, emacs has some problems when running multi-threading
python programs. That ofter halt my emacs. Though I like emacs very
much and regard it as the most powerful editor in the world. I have to
say that emacs python modes have long way to go compared with other
modes like c,c++

I am using idle to edit my python file. This software has similar hot-
key like emacs. If you need to handle some multi-threading python.
Open a shell for each of them.

* Re: Emacs + python
       [not found] ` <1186128043.721506.102250@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>
@ 2007-08-03 10:49   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-03 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

kaichi <kai.kunze@gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 1, 4:37 pm, Hadron <hadronqu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
>> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.
>>
>> Any help and shared experiences much appreciated.
>
> I personally like ipython a lot ( http://ipython.scipy.org/). It has
> several improvements to the python shell (most important persistent
> command history).
> There is a emacs mode relying on python-mode.el here
> http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/ipython.el
>
> For debugging you can simply use the python debugger:
> M-x pdb

I am running Ubuntu emacs-snapshot. I stopped using v23 with its
anti-aliased font back end because it didn't work with German character
set for some reason.

GNU Emacs 22.0.91.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.6) of
2006-12-20 on rothera, modified by Debian

For some reason the python debugger doesn't work using the stick
python-mode.. When I debug a file, the debugger appears but is already
"running" but stuck in some sort of loop. In addition, python-mode
doesnt include the debugger in the menu for some reason while python.el
does.

I followed the instructions for using python.el but unfortunately its
the usual too many cooks situation with various versions knocking around
and while with python.el the debugger is in the menu, I can't evaluate
the buffer as it returns with some sort of "wrong type" error - I guess
some sort of version dependency.

I would be interested to hear from anyone using python.el why they are
using it and also for any advice on what I should be using - it seems
that python-mode.el and python.el are stepping on each others toes a
little bit and various versions of emacs use different things.

Advice?

* Re: Emacs + python.
       [not found] <00tzrdm1zd.fsf@googlemail.com>
@ 2007-08-06 10:32 ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-06 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> writes:

> Sorry to repeat, but I had to reinstall and lost all my news.
>
> I am looking for pointers on using emacs with python. I use emacs v
> 22.0.91 (Ubuntu snapshot).
>
> It comes with its own python mode.
>
> The problem is that the debugger just hangs when I start it. The
> interpreter runs fine. Any ideas?
>
> What versions of python.el or python-mode.el or ..... are you using and
> why?
>
> Many thanks for any pointers.

I upgraded to emacs 23 from

http://peadrop.com/blog/2007/01/06/pretty-emacs/ and it works fine now.

Crosspost & Followup-To: gnu.emacs.help

* Re: Emacs + python
       [not found] <ak8x8v2udo.fsf@googlemail.com>
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <1186128043.721506.102250@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>
@ 2007-08-08  9:58 ` lbolognini
From: lbolognini @ 2007-08-08  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 1, 4:37 pm, Hadron <hadronqu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.
>
> Any help and shared experiences much appreciated.

Allright, i'll throw it out there.

I might be a little slow but even trying hard to make ECB and the
Python-mode work in Emacs 21 i got stuck and finally gave up... so
could some of you Emacs gurus just share it's own emacs[1] (for Win32,
thanks) so that us lesser beings don't have to struggle and waste time
setting it up?

Ideally there should be a *semi-official* emacs distribution tailored
for Python programmers and downloadable from python.org

Otherwise i'll just keep advocating Eclipse + PyDev! :)

Thanks,
Lorenzo

* Re: Emacs + python
@ 2007-08-08 14:59   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-08-08 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
>> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.
>>
>> Any help and shared experiences much appreciated.

> Allright, i'll throw it out there.

> I might be a little slow but even trying hard to make ECB and the
> Python-mode work in Emacs 21 i got stuck and finally gave up... so

Have you tried Emacs-22.1?
It comes with Python mode built-in, so there's nothing else to install.
If you want to use it with ECB, it should "just work" and if not, report it
as a bug (either to the ECB people or the the Emacs depending on your guess
as to where the bug lies).