all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* most recent files
@ 2007-07-26  3:17 Frank Murray
From: Frank Murray @ 2007-07-26  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

    A easy and quick question (I believe) regarding accessing files
in Emacs.
I'm running Emacs v21.2 on a Terminal window under Mac OS X.

Is there a way to access or bring up quickly the x most recent files
or programs you had just been working on,
i.e., x = 10,  15,  20, ..., etc.?

I know <ctrl>-x <ctrl>-f brings up your staring point in the
terminal, "Find File ~/" and then you have to go searching.

So, any information is appreciated.  Thanks.

fjm

* Re: most recent files
@ 2007-07-26  4:35 ` Dmitri Minaev
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2007-07-26  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Murray; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

session.el?
See http://emacs-session.sourceforge.net/

On 7/26/07, Frank Murray <fjmurray1@mac.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     A easy and quick question (I believe) regarding accessing files
> in Emacs.
> I'm running Emacs v21.2 on a Terminal window under Mac OS X.
>
> Is there a way to access or bring up quickly the x most recent files
> or programs you had just been working on,
> i.e., x = 10,  15,  20, ..., etc.?
>
> I know <ctrl>-x <ctrl>-f brings up your staring point in the
> terminal, "Find File ~/" and then you have to go searching.
>
> So, any information is appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> fjm

With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

Russian history blog: http://minaev.blogspot.com

* Re: most recent files
@ 2007-07-26  8:01 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2007-07-26  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Frank Murray <fjmurray1@mac.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to access or bring up quickly the x most recent files  or
> programs you had just been working on,
> i.e., x = 10,  15,  20, ..., etc.?

Put the following into your .emacs:

(require 'recentf)
(setq recentf-max-saved-items 50
      recentf-max-menu-items 25)
(recentf-mode 1)

You should then have a menu with recent files.  `recentf-open-files'
will work also.

(Also it's probably time to update to a newer version of Emacs. :)

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: most recent files
       [not found] <mailman.3994.1185419856.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-26  9:45 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2007-07-26  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Frank Murray <fjmurray1@mac.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
>    A easy and quick question (I believe) regarding accessing files  in
> Emacs.
> I'm running Emacs v21.2 on a Terminal window under Mac OS X.
>
> Is there a way to access or bring up quickly the x most recent files
> or programs you had just been working on,
> i.e., x = 10,  15,  20, ..., etc.?
>
> I know <ctrl>-x <ctrl>-f brings up your staring point in the
> terminal, "Find File ~/" and then you have to go searching.
>
> So, any information is appreciated.  Thanks.

Of course, you can use one of the sophisticated packages mentionned in
the other answers, but I'm happy with just using M-p and M-n in C-x C-f.

"Logiciels libres : nourris au code source sans farine animale."

@ 2007-07-26 13:32 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-07-26 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You should also explore using Dired --- I've been using it a lot
lately and it's really simplifying my life.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html

* Re: most recent files
@ 2007-07-26 14:53 ` Denis Bueno
From: Denis Bueno @ 2007-07-26 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Murray, help-gnu-emacs

On 07/25/2007 21:17, "Frank Murray" <fjmurray1@mac.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to access or bring up quickly the x most recent files
> or programs you had just been working on,
> i.e., x = 10,  15,  20, ..., etc.?

Although recentf-mode sounds more like what you're thinking of, I thought
I'd mention something I find more useful and faster: filecache.  (see (info
"(emacs)File Name Cache")).  Filecache lets you complete the entire path to
a file based solely on the filename.  So if /path/to/foo/c/foo.c is in the
cache, when you type C-x C-f foo. C-TAB -- the minibuffer will complete the
path to /path/to/foo/c/foo.c no matter what your current directory is.
Moreover, if there are multiple files of the same name, it shows you all the
possibilities.

To achieve something very similar to what you're looking for, I add files to
the file cache as I visit and save them.  This way any time I visit or save
a file, I can kill the buffer and know that the file will be easy to access
later with C-x C-f.  In my .emacs:

    (require 'filecache)
    ;; Add files to the cache as I edit them.
    (defun file-cache-add-buffer-file ()
      "Add the file name associated with the current buffer to the file
cache."
      (let ((name (buffer-file-name)))
        (if (and name
                 (file-exists-p name)
                 (file-readable-p name))
            (file-cache-add-file name))))

    (add-hook 'find-file-hook 'file-cache-add-buffer-file)
    (add-hook 'after-save-hook 'file-cache-add-buffer-file)

-Denis

* Re: most recent files
@ 2007-07-28 12:01   ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2007-07-28 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

   I'm happy with just using M-p and M-n in C-x C-f.

Thank you for this Pascal, now I am too.

@ 2007-08-01  4:03 ` aartist
From: aartist @ 2007-08-01  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 25, 11:17 pm, Frank Murray <fjmurr...@mac.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     A easy and quick question (I believe) regarding accessing files
> in Emacs.
> I'm running Emacs v21.2 on a Terminal window under Mac OS X.
>
> Is there a way to access or bring up quickly the x most recent files
> or programs you had just been working on,
> i.e., x = 10,  15,  20, ..., etc.?
>
> I know <ctrl>-x <ctrl>-f brings up your staring point in the
> terminal, "Find File ~/" and then you have to go searching.
>
> So, any information is appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> fjm

You may benefit by M-x iswitchb-default-keybindngs