all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Isearch functionality
@ 2007-07-31 13:23 weber
From: weber @ 2007-07-31 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello folks

I'd like to implement a command inside isearch that deletes the
current match _from the buffer_ (not from the search string)

This would be very useful since many times the search string you are
looking for is exactly what you want to remove, and it may be
something inside a word, so you can't just end isearch and do a kill
word. Do you get me ?

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some tips on how to implement this.
Maybe one could search the buffer for the specific type of overlay for
current match??

Thanks in advance,

Hugo

* RE: Isearch functionality
@ 2007-07-31 13:59 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.4162.1185890445.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-07-31 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weber, help-gnu-emacs

> I'd like to implement a command inside isearch that deletes the
> current match _from the buffer_ (not from the search string)
>
> This would be very useful since many times the search string you are
> looking for is exactly what you want to remove, and it may be
> something inside a word, so you can't just end isearch and do a kill
> word. Do you get me ?
>
> Anyway, I'd really appreciate some tips on how to implement this.
> Maybe one could search the buffer for the specific type of overlay for
> current match??

Any of these ways:

1. End Isearch when you find what you want to delete. Then `C-@ C-r C-r'.

2. Use isearch+.el. You can choose to end Isearch with the search target
selected.

3. Use Icicles search, and replace search hits on the fly (with nothing, in
this case).

For #1 and #2, just hit C-w to delete the search hit, or, if you use
`delete-selection-mode', just hit Backspace.

#1 and #2 require you to exit Isearch; #3 lets you delete any number of
selected search hits without exiting search.

For #2: see http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/IsearchPlus.

For #3: see
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Search_Commands%2c_Overview,
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Search-And-Replace.

* Re: Isearch functionality
       [not found] ` <mailman.4162.1185890445.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-31 14:18   ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-07-31 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 31 jul, 10:59, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to implement a command inside isearch that deletes the
> > current match _from the buffer_ (not from the search string)
>
> > This would be very useful since many times the search string you are
> > looking for is exactly what you want to remove, and it may be
> > something inside a word, so you can't just end isearch and do a kill
> > word. Do you get me ?
>
> > Anyway, I'd really appreciate some tips on how to implement this.
> > Maybe one could search the buffer for the specific type of overlay for
> > current match??
>
> Any of these ways:
>
> 1. End Isearch when you find what you want to delete. Then `C-@ C-r C-r'.
>
> 2. Use isearch+.el. You can choose to end Isearch with the search target
> selected.
>
> 3. Use Icicles search, and replace search hits on the fly (with nothing, in
> this case).
>
> For #1 and #2, just hit C-w to delete the search hit, or, if you use
> `delete-selection-mode', just hit Backspace.
>
> #1 and #2 require you to exit Isearch; #3 lets you delete any number of
> selected search hits without exiting search.
>
> For #2: seehttp://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/IsearchPlus.
>
> For #3: seehttp://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Search_Commands%2c_Ov...,http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Search-And-Replace.

Many thanks for your answer, it was very complete.
Isearch+ is pretty much what I want :)

Also i had this snippet to force isearch to always put the cursor in
the beginning of the match:

(defun custom-goto-match-beginning ()
  "Use with isearch hook to end search at first char of match."
   (when isearch-forward (goto-char isearch-other-end)))

which i just changed to:

(defun custom-goto-match-beginning ()
  "Use with isearch hook to end search at first char of match."
  (when isearch-forward (exchange-point-and-mark)))

to work with isearch+.

Cheers,
weber

* Re: Isearch functionality
       [not found] ` <mailman.4162.1185890445.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-31 16:59 ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found] ` <mailman.4378.1186217273.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-07-31 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

weber <hugows@gmail.com> writes:

> This would be very useful since many times the search string you are
> looking for is exactly what you want to remove, and it may be
> something inside a word, so you can't just end isearch and do a kill
> word. Do you get me ?

Hmmm...I'm unsure if I understand what you want.  It sounds like what
you want is search and replace, replacing with "" (nothing, that is,
accomplished by hitting return when prompted for a replacement
string).  I do this all the time.  I often think there must be an even
more elegant way to do it.  You can even use a regexp replacement
search to delete stuff.  It's very versatile.

How is what you want different?

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

"Today in the Western world only children argue this way,
and only children believe the earth is at rest."
 	 -Thomas S. Kuhn, _The Copernican Revolution_, pg 44

* Re: Isearch functionality
@ 2007-08-01 13:35   ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-08-01 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 31 jul, 13:59, jadam...@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) wrote:
> weber <hug...@gmail.com> writes:
> > This would be very useful since many times the search string you are
> > looking for is exactly what you want to remove, and it may be
> > something inside a word, so you can't just end isearch and do a kill
> > word. Do you get me ?
>
> Hmmm...I'm unsure if I understand what you want.  It sounds like what
> you want is search and replace, replacing with "" (nothing, that is,
> accomplished by hitting return when prompted for a replacement
> string).  I do this all the time.  I often think there must be an even
> more elegant way to do it.  You can even use a regexp replacement
> search to delete stuff.  It's very versatile.
>
> How is what you want different?
>
> Joel
>
> --
> Joel J. Adamson
> Biostatistician
> Pediatric Psychopharmacology Research Unit
> Massachusetts General Hospital
> Boston, MA  02114
> (617) 643-1432
> (303) 880-3109
>
> "Today in the Western world only children argue this way,
> and only children believe the earth is at rest."
>          -Thomas S. Kuhn, _The Copernican Revolution_, pg 44

Yeah, well.. i don't know.
I guess in this case of a single replacement, isearch is more handy
because that's the keybinding I use for moving around all the time.
But of course for several fixes on the code I'm always using query-
replace-regexp.

Cheers,
weber

* Re: Isearch functionality
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-08-04  8:48 ` Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found] ` <mailman.4378.1186217273.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-08-04  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weber; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

weber <hugows@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to implement a command inside isearch that deletes the
> current match _from the buffer_ (not from the search string)

I'd try the key sequence M-% within isearch, it switches to
query-replace and you can replace the current search string with "".

(You can bail out of query-replace by typing RET or q *or* C-s for
further searches 8-))

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: Isearch functionality
       [not found] ` <mailman.4378.1186217273.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-04 15:03   ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-08-04 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 4, 5:48 am, Dieter Wilhelm <die...@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:
> weber <hug...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I'd like to implement a command inside isearch that deletes the
> > current match _from the buffer_ (not from the search string)
>
> I'd try the key sequence M-% within isearch, it switches to
> query-replace and you can replace the current search string with "".
>
> (You can bail out of query-replace by typing RET or q *or* C-s for
> further searches 8-))
>
> --
>     Best wishes
>
>     H. Dieter Wilhelm
>     Darmstadt, Germany

Cool! that will useful in a lot of other situations as well!

Regards,
weber