all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: ryofurue@gmail.com
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: emacs22: lost iso-accents-mode
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 06:29:00 -0700	[thread overview]

On Jul 24, 2:03 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
[. . .]
> > > After switching from emacs21 to emacs22, I lost the command
> > > iso-accents-mode :
>
> > It's obsolete (see the NEWS file), but it's still distributed with Emacs
> > 22. You have to add (require 'iso-acc) to your init file if you want to
> > continue to use it.

Thanks for your quick responses, and please bear with me; I'm not
familiar with where to look for information such as this.  I googled
with keywords "emacs 22 iso-accents-mode" but found no relevant
information.  I read the "emacs" entry of info on my emacs22 and
found a statement that you can input European accented characters with
"M-x iso-accents-mode" .  Then, how can I know that iso-accents-mode
is obsolete?

> Yeah, and I urge you not to use it.  Why do you need it, anyway?

Umm,  I occasionally need to input German and French accented
characters,
although I use English 99.5% of the time.  I don't care whether the
functionality is provided by iso-accents-mode or by some other
mechanism
as long as it's simple to use.  I just need the capability.

>  It's
> quite possible that the same functionality is available in core Emacs
> (or else the package won't be obsoleted).

And, the alternative is . . . ?  I looked into the NEWS file of
emacs22,
but I didn't find any mention to iso-accents-mode:

  $ egrep -i accents /usr/share/doc/emacs22-common/etc/NEWS
  $

I might have been looking at a wrong file. . . .

Cheers,
Ryo