all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "No fonts found" when executing emacs
@ 2007-06-14 14:42 Weihua Jiang
From: Weihua Jiang @ 2007-06-14 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My emacs 22 can run correctly in normal desktop environment (Ubuntu
6.06), But, when I using FreeNX (a VNC-like X client) to remotely
connect to this computer and run emacs inside it. It reports:
   No fonts found.
and quite.

But, other applications, e.g. GVIM, run correctly.

Can anyone help me fix this problem?

Thanks
Weihua

* Re: "No fonts found" when executing emacs
@ 2007-06-15  6:30 ` Weihua Jiang
From: Weihua Jiang @ 2007-06-15  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 14, 10:42 pm, Weihua Jiang <weihua.ji...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My emacs 22 can run correctly in normal desktop environment (Ubuntu
> 6.06), But, when I using FreeNX (a VNC-like X client) to remotely
> connect to this computer and run emacs inside it. It reports:
>    No fonts found.
> and quite.
>
> But, other applications, e.g. GVIM, run correctly.
>
> Can anyone help me fix this problem?
>
> Thanks
> Weihua

I find the solution myself. It is caused by emacs not using xft.
So, I have to install client fonts for FreeNX.

After fonts installation, it works now.

* Re: "No fonts found" when executing emacs
@ 2007-07-15 12:36 ` sinewalker
From: sinewalker @ 2007-07-15 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 15 Jun, 00:42, Weihua Jiang <weihua.ji...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My emacs 22 can run correctly in normal desktop environment (Ubuntu
> 6.06), But, when I using FreeNX (a VNC-like X client) to remotely
> connect to this computer and run emacs ...

I have the same problem with emacs 21 on FreeNX.  I think it's
something to do with how the X font server works inside NX (at least,
the free version -- NoMachine's 2.1 server seems to solve the
problem).

A work-around is to specify an ISO8559-1 font on the command line:

emacs -fn 9x15

Of course, this is no good if you need non-western characters.  Also
not sure how MULE works in emacs 22, if you're using that, but at
least you can read it. YMMV