all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Highlighted text which is not part of the buffer?
@ 2007-07-13 18:57 spamfilteraccount
From: spamfilteraccount @ 2007-07-13 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I created an empty overlay with before-string set and added a face
property, but the before-string is not highlighted. (If the overlay is
not empty, there is some real text in it then the before string is
highlighted together with the real text.)

Is there an other way to show text with face properties which is not
part of the buffer?

* Re: Highlighted text which is not part of the buffer?
@ 2007-07-14  6:50 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-07-14  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"spamfilteraccount@gmail.com" <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

> I created an empty overlay with before-string set and added a face
> property,

_Where_ did you add the face property?  To the overlay?  To the
before-string?

> but the before-string is not highlighted. (If the overlay is not
> empty, there is some real text in it then the before string is
> highlighted together with the real text.)

Probably only if the face property is inherited to the left.

> Is there an other way to show text with face properties which is not
> part of the buffer?

Put the face property on the before-string (I'd prefer using the
'display property).

* Re: Highlighted text which is not part of the buffer?
@ 2007-07-14  8:32   ` spamfilteraccount
From: spamfilteraccount @ 2007-07-14  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 14, 8:50 am, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> "spamfilteracco...@gmail.com" <spamfilteracco...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I created an empty overlay with before-string set and added a face
> > property,
>
> _Where_ did you add the face property?  To the overlay?  To the
> before-string?

It did not occur to me the before-string can have properties, though
it is logical. :)

Thanks. Problem solved.