all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to search with 'Match case' and 'Match whole word'?
@ 2007-07-13 18:49 Vols
From: Vols @ 2007-07-13 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, group,

I tried to find all the ' / ' inside my codes and I used C-s /

All the ' /*  */ ' and    '//' show up. How to search with 'Match
whole word'?

How about for the 'match case' search?

Thanks.

Vol

* Re: How to search with 'Match case' and 'Match whole word'?
@ 2007-07-13 22:17 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-07-13 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vols; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.07.2007 um 20:49 schrieb Vols:

> All the ' /*  */ ' and    '//' show up.

You could use isearch-forward-regexp with [^*]/[^*] ?

Isn't the isearch documentation explaining what you want? (Sorry, I
think I've never read it!)

--
Greetings

   Pete

"America believes in education: the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week." – Evan
Esar

* Re: How to search with 'Match case' and 'Match whole word'?
@ 2007-07-13 22:57 ` Ruslan Spivak
From: Ruslan Spivak @ 2007-07-13 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Vols <volunteers@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, group,
>
> I tried to find all the ' / ' inside my codes and I used C-s /
>
> All the ' /*  */ ' and    '//' show up. How to search with 'Match
> whole word'?
>
> How about for the 'match case' search?

Hi,

I guess what you are looking for is regexp search.

You can use incremental regexp search with C-M-s and enter regular
expression corresponding to your needs or use M-x occur again with
regexp to show all occurrences at once.

case-fold-search variable determines whether searches are case sensitive.
You can temporarily change its value in your current buffer with
M-x set-variable ENTER case-fold-search ENTER nil ENTER

Foregoing will make search operations case sensitive

BTW, by default search is not case sensitive unless you type in mixed
case or uppercase and if you do that Emacs understands that you want
to make case sensitive search.

Ruslan

--
"The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and
good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack