all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to start the intel debugger with dgb in emacs
@ 2007-07-06 13:53 Mirko
From: Mirko @ 2007-07-06 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am trying to invoke the intel debugger (idb) within emacs 22.1 (on
windows).  According to the documentation, I am supposed to invoke gdb
with the following command:

C:\Program files\Intel\IDB\10.0\Bin\idb -gdb -fullname myprogram

However, the space in "Program files" causes a problem. (Searching for
program, no such file)

I have tried putting the path into quotes, and also to quote the space
"\ " while switching to forward-slashes for the rest of the path.  But
that did not help.

I also tried making a shortcut to the executable as C:\idb.exe.lnk.
In that case I get an error message Spawning child process: invalid
argument.  I guess I am making some progress, but I really don't know
where to go from here.

So, I am running out of ideas.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mirko

* Re: how to start the intel debugger with dgb in emacs
@ 2007-07-06 15:57 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.3140.1183737476.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-07-06 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Mirko <mvukovic@nycap.rr.com>
> Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 06:53:20 -0700
>
> C:\Program files\Intel\IDB\10.0\Bin\idb -gdb -fullname myprogram
>
> However, the space in "Program files" causes a problem. (Searching for
> program, no such file)

Try using "C:\PROGRA~1\Intel\IDB\10.0\Bin\idb" instead.

> I also tried making a shortcut to the executable as C:\idb.exe.lnk.

Shortcuts only work if the program is invoked via the Shell API, which
is not what Emacs does.

@ 2007-07-06 17:27   ` Mirko
From: Mirko @ 2007-07-06 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 6, 11:57 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: Mirko <mvuko...@nycap.rr.com>
> > Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 06:53:20 -0700
>
> > C:\Program files\Intel\IDB\10.0\Bin\idb -gdb -fullname myprogram
>
> > However, the space in "Program files" causes a problem. (Searching for
> > program, no such file)
>
> Try using "C:\PROGRA~1\Intel\IDB\10.0\Bin\idb" instead.
>
> > I also tried making a shortcut to the executable as C:\idb.exe.lnk.
>
> Shortcuts only work if the program is invoked via the Shell API, which
> is not what Emacs does.

Thank you Eli.  That did work.

Now that it works, Ii have some other questions, but I'll try to
figure them out by myself first.

@ 2007-07-06 22:44 ` Nick Roberts
       [not found] ` <mailman.3151.1183761918.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-07-06 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mirko; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Mirko writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I am trying to invoke the intel debugger (idb) within emacs 22.1 (on
 > windows).  According to the documentation, I am supposed to invoke gdb
 > with the following command:
 >
 > C:\Program files\Intel\IDB\10.0\Bin\idb -gdb -fullname myprogram
 >
 > However, the space in "Program files" causes a problem. (Searching for
 > program, no such file)

I recently made a commit to the CVS repository that fixes this I think.  If you
can't get the CVS version of Emacs, please apply the patch below to gud.el and
evaluate the function string->strings.  Then

"C:\Program files\Intel\IDB\10.0\Bin\idb" -gdb -fullname myprogram

should work.

(defun string->strings (string &optional separator)
  "Split the STRING into a list of strings.
It understands elisp style quoting within STRING such that
  (string->strings (strings->string strs)) == strs
The SEPARATOR regexp defaults to \"\\s-+\"."
  (let ((sep (or separator "\\s-+"))
	(i (string-match "[\"]" string)))
    (if (null i) (split-string string sep t)	; no quoting:  easy
      (append (unless (eq i 0) (split-string (substring string 0 i) sep t))
	      (let ((rfs (read-from-string string i)))
		(cons (car rfs)
		      (string->strings (substring string (cdr rfs))
					   sep)))))))

*** gud.el	13 May 2007 16:21:01 +1200	1.130
--- gud.el	28 Jun 2007 12:56:38 +1200
*************** comint mode, which see."
*** 2462,2468 ****
  ;; for local variables in the debugger buffer.
  (defun gud-common-init (command-line massage-args marker-filter
  				     &optional find-file)
!   (let* ((words (split-string command-line))
  	 (program (car words))
  	 (dir default-directory)
  	 ;; Extract the file name from WORDS
--- 2462,2468 ----
  ;; for local variables in the debugger buffer.
  (defun gud-common-init (command-line massage-args marker-filter
  				     &optional find-file)
!   (let* ((words (string->strings command-line))

@ 2007-07-07 10:12   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-07-07 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz>
> Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 10:44:58 +1200
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
>  > C:\Program files\Intel\IDB\10.0\Bin\idb -gdb -fullname myprogram
>  >
>  > However, the space in "Program files" causes a problem. (Searching for
>  > program, no such file)
>
> I recently made a commit to the CVS repository that fixes this I think.  If you
> can't get the CVS version of Emacs, please apply the patch below to gud.el and
> evaluate the function string->strings.  Then
>
> "C:\Program files\Intel\IDB\10.0\Bin\idb" -gdb -fullname myprogram
>
> should work.

Shouldn't this patch be applied to the Emacs 22.x branch as well?

* Re: how to start the intel debugger with dgb in emacs
@ 2007-07-07 23:45     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-07-07 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > > I recently made a commit to the CVS repository that fixes this I think.
 > > If you can't get the CVS version of Emacs, please apply the patch below to
 > > gud.el and evaluate the function string->strings.  Then
 > >
 > > "C:\Program files\Intel\IDB\10.0\Bin\idb" -gdb -fullname myprogram
 > >
 > > should work.
 >
 > Shouldn't this patch be applied to the Emacs 22.x branch as well?

It's probably a safe change but I don't know who decides what goes on the
branch.  Using filenames with spaces in seems pretty stupid to me but if it's
commonplace on Windows and I worked on those platforms, I'd probably think
otherwise.

@ 2007-07-09 14:29   ` Mirko
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3221.1183992395.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mirko @ 2007-07-09 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 6, 6:44 pm, Nick Roberts <nick...@snap.net.nz> wrote:
> Mirko writes:
>
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I am trying to invoke the intel debugger (idb) within emacs 22.1 (on
>  > windows).  According to the documentation, I am supposed to invoke gdb
>  > with the following command:
>  >
>  > C:\Program files\Intel\IDB\10.0\Bin\idb -gdb -fullname myprogram
>  >
>  > However, the space in "Program files" causes a problem. (Searching for
>  > program, no such file)
>
> I recently made a commit to the CVS repository that fixes this I think.  If you
> can't get the CVS version of Emacs, please apply the patch below to gud.el and
> evaluate the function string->strings.  Then
>
> "C:\Program files\Intel\IDB\10.0\Bin\idb" -gdb -fullname myprogram
>
> should work.
>
> --
> Nick                                          http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob
>
> (defun string->strings (string &optional separator)
>   "Split the STRING into a list of strings.
> It understands elisp style quoting within STRING such that
>   (string->strings (strings->string strs)) == strs
> The SEPARATOR regexp defaults to \"\\s-+\"."
>   (let ((sep (or separator "\\s-+"))
>         (i (string-match "[\"]" string)))
>     (if (null i) (split-string string sep t)    ; no quoting:  easy
>       (append (unless (eq i 0) (split-string (substring string 0 i) sep t))
>               (let ((rfs (read-from-string string i)))
>                 (cons (car rfs)
>                       (string->strings (substring string (cdr rfs))
>                                            sep)))))))
>
> *** gud.el      13 May 2007 16:21:01 +1200      1.130
> --- gud.el      28 Jun 2007 12:56:38 +1200
> *************** comint mode, which see."
> *** 2462,2468 ****
>   ;; for local variables in the debugger buffer.
>   (defun gud-common-init (command-line massage-args marker-filter
>                                      &optional find-file)
> !   (let* ((words (split-string command-line))
>          (program (car words))
>          (dir default-directory)
>          ;; Extract the file name from WORDS
> --- 2462,2468 ----
>   ;; for local variables in the debugger buffer.
>   (defun gud-common-init (command-line massage-args marker-filter
>                                      &optional find-file)
> !   (let* ((words (string->strings command-line))
>          (program (car words))
>          (dir default-directory)
>          ;; Extract the file name from WORDS

Nick,

I applied your patch, but my emacs complained about undefined variable
string->strings.

I am using Emacs 22.1.1

Thanks to Eli's suggestion, I am not in dire straights.  But I will
not mind testing further modifications, if you have time to supply
them.

@ 2007-07-09 14:45     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3221.1183992395.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-07-09 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Mirko <mvukovic@nycap.rr.com>
> Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 07:29:05 -0700
>
> > (defun string->strings (string &optional separator)
> >   "Split the STRING into a list of strings.
> > It understands elisp style quoting within STRING such that
> >   (string->strings (strings->string strs)) == strs
> > The SEPARATOR regexp defaults to \"\\s-+\"."
> >   (let ((sep (or separator "\\s-+"))
> >         (i (string-match "[\"]" string)))
> >     (if (null i) (split-string string sep t)    ; no quoting:  easy
> >       (append (unless (eq i 0) (split-string (substring string 0 i) sep t))
> >               (let ((rfs (read-from-string string i)))
> >                 (cons (car rfs)
> >                       (string->strings (substring string (cdr rfs))
> >                                            sep)))))))
> >
> I applied your patch, but my emacs complained about undefined variable
> string->strings.

That's the additional function Nick sent in addition to the patch (see
above).  You need to put it somewhere, e.g. in your .emacs file.

@ 2007-07-09 18:26       ` Mirko
From: Mirko @ 2007-07-09 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 9, 10:45 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: Mirko <mvuko...@nycap.rr.com>
> > Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 07:29:05 -0700
>
> > > (defun string->strings (string &optional separator)
> > >   "Split the STRING into a list of strings.
> > > It understands elisp style quoting within STRING such that
> > >   (string->strings (strings->string strs)) == strs
> > > The SEPARATOR regexp defaults to \"\\s-+\"."
> > >   (let ((sep (or separator "\\s-+"))
> > >         (i (string-match "[\"]" string)))
> > >     (if (null i) (split-string string sep t)    ; no quoting:  easy
> > >       (append (unless (eq i 0) (split-string (substring string 0 i) sep t))
> > >               (let ((rfs (read-from-string string i)))
> > >                 (cons (car rfs)
> > >                       (string->strings (substring string (cdr rfs))
>
> > I applied your patch, but my emacs complained about undefined variable
> > string->strings.
>
> That's the additional function Nick sent in addition to the patch (see
> above).  You need to put it somewhere, e.g. in your .emacs file.

dum, dum, di-dum, dum (sung with an appropriate tune).  I am not an
expert in patch, and something looked fishy.  Now I understand.

Thank you, and with apologies to Nick for misusing his patch.