all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to save dred duffer?
@ 2007-06-24  8:52 srdjan.markovich
From: srdjan.markovich @ 2007-06-24  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there

Is it possible to save dired buffer in order to reuse it in latter
sessions? I know that I can save all opened buffers using desktop.el
script. But it saves everything.
I want to be able to save only one dired buffer and to give it
specific filename so I can open it and continue work latter...

Regards

* RE: How to save dred duffer?
@ 2007-06-24 13:54 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.2568.1182693309.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-06-24 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: srdjan.markovich, help-gnu-emacs

> Is it possible to save dired buffer in order to reuse it in latter
> sessions? I know that I can save all opened buffers using desktop.el
> script. But it saves everything.
> I want to be able to save only one dired buffer and to give it
> specific filename so I can open it and continue work latter...

You can save a bookmark to that directory, so that opening that bookmark
later (e.g. in a future Emacs session) will open Dired on that directory.
See the Emacs manual about bookmarks.

* Re: How to save dred duffer?
       [not found] ` <mailman.2568.1182693309.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-24 16:44   ` srdjan.markovich
From: srdjan.markovich @ 2007-06-24 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 24, 3:54 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > Is it possible to save dired buffer in order to reuse it in latter
> > sessions? I know that I can save all opened buffers using desktop.el
> > script. But it saves everything.
> > I want to be able to save only one dired buffer and to give it
> > specific filename so I can open it and continue work latter...
>
> You can save a bookmark to that directory, so that opening that bookmark
> later (e.g. in a future Emacs session) will open Dired on that directory.
> See the Emacs manual about bookmarks.

Wow!
I didn't know about the power of bookmarks!!!
Thank you very much for this tip.

Best regards

* Re: How to save dred duffer?
       [not found] ` <mailman.2568.1182693309.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-25  8:17 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-06-25  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"srdjan.markovich@gmail.com" <srdjan.markovich@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there
>
> Is it possible to save dired buffer in order to reuse it in latter
> sessions? I know that I can save all opened buffers using desktop.el
> script. But it saves everything.
> I want to be able to save only one dired buffer and to give it
> specific filename so I can open it and continue work latter...
>
> Regards

You might want to check out dired-virtual-mode. It is part of
dired-x. I use it to save large dired listings, maybe for directories
that I know will take a lot of time to refresh. I save these buffers
as a normal text file, with the extension .dired, and combine this
with the following customization:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("[^/]\\.dired$" . dired-virtual-mode))