all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* auto indenting
@ 2007-06-22 18:21 bpatton
From: bpatton @ 2007-06-22 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I mostly do perl code, some c and cshell

I like to have things lined up.  The auto indent is good, but I would
like to extend the function of the tab key.

I have this code

my $a = undef;
my $bcd = undef;
my $someLongVariableName = undef;

I prefer to have all my ='s to line up.  The little bit of time it
takes
for me to line them up, I believe more than pays for it's self in
maintance

I would like to have the tab to the auto indenting, but I would also
like to have it insert 2 spaces each it cannot do auto indenting.

my $a                                   = undef;
my $bcd                               = undef;
my $someLongVariableName = undef;

* Re: auto indenting
@ 2007-06-22 19:25 ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-06-22 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 22 jun, 15:21, bpatton <bpat...@ti.com> wrote:
> I mostly do perl code, some c and cshell
>
> I like to have things lined up.  The auto indent is good, but I would
> like to extend the function of the tab key.
>
> I have this code
>
> my $a = undef;
> my $bcd = undef;
> my $someLongVariableName = undef;
>
> I prefer to have all my ='s to line up.  The little bit of time it
> takes
> for me to line them up, I believe more than pays for it's self in
> maintance
>
> I would like to have the tab to the auto indenting, but I would also
> like to have it insert 2 spaces each it cannot do auto indenting.
>
> my $a                                   = undef;
> my $bcd                               = undef;
> my $someLongVariableName = undef;

A tip for you to align those '='s is the command align-regexp.
Just in case you didn't knew!
Cheers,
weber