all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclientw restore window
@ 2007-06-10 23:31 troelskn
       [not found] ` <mailman.1935.1181562094.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: troelskn @ 2007-06-10 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I open a file (On Windows XP), using emacsclientw.exe, while
Emacs is minimised, the window is always restored to windowed state.
How can I make it so the window is restored to maximised state
instead?

--
troels

* Re: emacsclientw restore window
@ 2007-06-11 11:41 ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found] ` <mailman.1935.1181562094.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-06-11 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: troelskn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 6/11/07, troelskn <troelskn@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I open a file (On Windows XP), using emacsclientw.exe, while
> Emacs is minimised, the window is always restored to windowed state.
> How can I make it so the window is restored to maximised state
> instead?

If you use a single frame, or a not very complicated frame setup, this
could work:

(setq server-window
      #'(lambda (buffer)
          (let ((pop-up-windows nil))
            (pop-to-buffer buffer))
          (let* ((w (get-buffer-window buffer 0))
                 (f (window-frame w))
                 (v (frame-visible-p f)))
            (select-frame-set-input-focus f)
            (when (eq v 'icon)
              (w32-send-sys-command ?\xF030)))))

     Juanma

@ 2007-06-11 12:03   ` troelskn
From: troelskn @ 2007-06-11 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 11, 1:41 pm, "Juanma Barranquero" <lek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you use a single frame, or a not very complicated frame setup, this
> could work:

Thanks, that kind of works. It triggers a maximise, after the restore
has been sent. I would prefer if restore was never called -- just
maximise. The reason is, that for some reason, there is a rendering
bug at the bottom of the window, if the window is maximised from
restored state. The only way around, is to minimise, then maximise.
I'd rather not have to restore, minimise, maximise, each time I open a
file through emacsclientw.

--

@ 2007-06-11 13:20     ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1942.1181576566.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-06-11 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: troelskn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 6/11/07, troelskn <troelskn@gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason is, that for some reason, there is a rendering
> bug at the bottom of the window, if the window is maximised from
> restored state.

What bug? Have you reported it? Using

(setq server-window
     #'(lambda (buffer)
         (select-frame-set-input-focus (selected-frame))
         (w32-send-sys-command #xf030)
         (let ((pop-up-windows nil))
           (pop-to-buffer buffer))))

(which is a simpler version of my previous attempt) I see no bug.

             Juanma

* Re: emacsclientw restore window
@ 2007-06-11 15:42     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1942.1181576566.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-06-11 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: troelskn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

troelskn wrote:
> On Jun 11, 1:41 pm, "Juanma Barranquero" <lek...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you use a single frame, or a not very complicated frame setup, this
>> could work:
>
> Thanks, that kind of works. It triggers a maximise, after the restore
> has been sent. I would prefer if restore was never called -- just
> maximise. The reason is, that for some reason, there is a rendering
> bug at the bottom of the window, if the window is maximised from
> restored state. The only way around, is to minimise, then maximise.
> I'd rather not have to restore, minimise, maximise, each time I open a
> file through emacsclientw.

Can you tell more about the rendering bug? Did you compile Emacs 22
yourself?

@ 2007-06-11 19:29       ` troelskn
From: troelskn @ 2007-06-11 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 11, 5:42 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you tell more about the rendering bug? Did you compile Emacs 22
> yourself?

I thought it was a well-known bug actually. If I start Emacs in
normal, windowed mode, and then maximise it, the lower part of the
window doesn't update -- it shows whatever was showing at the screen,
at that place, before. If I minimise Emacs, and maximise it again, the
bug goes away, and doesn't reappear, until I restore to windowed mode,
and maximise. I saw the same problem mentioned at http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

I'm using the latest binary release.