all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How do I unregister (delete) a directory in version control ??
@ 2007-05-21 20:05 William Case
From: William Case @ 2007-05-21 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EMACS List

Hi;

I have successfully ( in one case too successfully) registered (added)
new directories to my sandbox under version control.  One is misspelled
and I would like to remove it.  None of the vc commands for this is
obvious to me.

As usual, it is probably extremely easy, but be damned if I can figure
it out.
Simply M-x delete-directory sounds dangerously too easy.

--
Regards Bill

* Re: How do I unregister (delete) a directory in version control ??
       [not found] <mailman.927.1179778043.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-22  8:35 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-05-22  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> writes:

> Hi;
>
> I have successfully ( in one case too successfully) registered (added)
> new directories to my sandbox under version control.  One is misspelled
> and I would like to remove it.  None of the vc commands for this is
> obvious to me.
>
> As usual, it is probably extremely easy, but be damned if I can figure
> it out.
> Simply M-x delete-directory sounds dangerously too easy.

If your using CVS, then unfortunately, its not that simple. In fact, this is
one of the issues supporters of version control systems like subversion like to
cite as the reason subversion is better than CVS.

I have done this (a while ago) and I remember it was a fiddely pain in the bum,
plus I lost some change history information in the process. However, it was so
long ago, I can't rmember anymore. I'm sure if you google for it, you will find
the solution.

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: How do I unregister (delete) a directory in version control ??
@ 2007-05-22 16:10   ` William Case
From: William Case @ 2007-05-22 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim X; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Tim;

On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 18:35 +1000, Tim X wrote:
> William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> writes:
>
> > Hi;
> >
> > I have successfully ( in one case too successfully) registered (added)
> > new directories to my sandbox under version control.  One is misspelled
> > and I would like to remove it.  None of the vc commands for this is
> > obvious to me.
> >
> > As usual, it is probably extremely easy, but be damned if I can figure
> > it out.
> > Simply M-x delete-directory sounds dangerously too easy.
> >

> If your using CVS, then unfortunately, its not that simple. In fact, this is
> one of the issues supporters of version control systems like subversion like to
> cite as the reason subversion is better than CVS.

I forgot to mention, I am using SVN (subversion).  I solved my immediate
problem by going to a terminal command line and using svn delete, move,
add etc.  Followed by commit.  Returned to emacs and updated.
Everything worked.

So I am not completely stymied, but I had hoped that I could do
everything within emacs. e.g. as I found out on this list vc register =
svn add; and vc rename = svn move.  I hoped there might be a vc
"whatever" = svn delete.

--

@ 2007-05-22 21:43     ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-05-22 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Case; +Cc: Tim X, help-gnu-emacs

William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> writes:

> So I am not completely stymied, but I had hoped that I could do
> everything within emacs. e.g. as I found out on this list vc register =
> svn add; and vc rename = svn move.  I hoped there might be a vc
> "whatever" = svn delete.

I only found M-x vc-delete-file but nothing for directories.  Well, it
seems to be a rare activity since it's not catered for in VC.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany