all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Correct Display of UTF-8-coded Compilation Warnings/Errors inside compilation-mode
@ 2007-05-21 23:25 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-05-21 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey there.

I am using the locale sv_SE.UTF-8 so GCC speaks my mother-tongue to
me, which is very nice.

How do I make compilation-mode read and respect this locale when I
compile from within emacs, inside compilation-mode? My installation
(latest CVS version of Emacs) interprets it iso-latin-1.

I guess we should use the result of (getenv "LANG") to somehow setup
the buffer-file-coding system.

/Nordlöw

* Re: Correct Display of UTF-8-coded Compilation Warnings/Errors inside compilation-mode
@ 2007-05-22  1:34 ` Pascal Bourguignon
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2007-05-22  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:
> I am using the locale sv_SE.UTF-8 so GCC speaks my mother-tongue to
> me, which is very nice.
>
> How do I make compilation-mode read and respect this locale when I
> compile from within emacs, inside compilation-mode? My installation
> (latest CVS version of Emacs) interprets it iso-latin-1.

Put:

   (set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)

in ~/.emacs

Or:

   (add-hook 'compilation-mode-hook
             (lambda () (set-process-coding-system 'utf-8)))

if you want to use utf-8 only for compiling, but I doubt it...

> I guess we should use the result of (getenv "LANG") to somehow setup
> the buffer-file-coding system.

That could help, but the situations are oftem more complex, you may
want to use different coding systems with different files or
processes...

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.

* Re: Correct Display of UTF-8-coded Compilation Warnings/Errors inside compilation-mode
@ 2007-05-22  6:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.968.1179825269.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-22  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: =?iso-8859-1?B?Tm9yZGz2dw==?= <per.nordlow@gmail.com>
> Date: 21 May 2007 16:25:55 -0700
>
> I am using the locale sv_SE.UTF-8 so GCC speaks my mother-tongue to
> me, which is very nice.
>
> How do I make compilation-mode read and respect this locale when I
> compile from within emacs, inside compilation-mode? My installation
> (latest CVS version of Emacs) interprets it iso-latin-1.

That's strange, I think Emacs should use UTF-8 by default in your
locale.  What is the value of default-buffer-file-coding-system?
Also, does this behavior of M-x compile change in any way if you
invoke Emacs with "emacs -Q"?

> I guess we should use the result of (getenv "LANG") to somehow setup
> the buffer-file-coding system.

Emacs already does that at startup.

* Re: Correct Display of UTF-8-coded Compilation Warnings/Errors inside compilation-mode
@ 2007-05-22  6:54   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-22  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com>
> Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 03:34:39 +0200
>
> Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:
> > I am using the locale sv_SE.UTF-8 so GCC speaks my mother-tongue to
> > me, which is very nice.
> >
> > How do I make compilation-mode read and respect this locale when I
> > compile from within emacs, inside compilation-mode? My installation
> > (latest CVS version of Emacs) interprets it iso-latin-1.
>
> Put:
>
>    (set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)
>
> in ~/.emacs

Doesn't Emacs already do this automatically at startup?  I think it
does.

* Re: Correct Display of UTF-8-coded Compilation Warnings/Errors inside compilation-mode
@ 2007-05-22  9:14 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.968.1179825269.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-05-22  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.05.2007 um 01:25 schrieb Nordlöw:

> How do I make compilation-mode read and respect this locale when I
> compile from within emacs, inside compilation-mode? My installation
> (latest CVS version of Emacs) interprets it iso-latin-1.

I am using de_DE.UTF-8 and mostly compilation-mode (GNU Emacs 22 and
23) shows the typographical quotes. But there are times when this
fails ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"What do you think of Western Civilisation?"
"I think it would be a good idea!"
                          -- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

@ 2007-05-22 12:31   ` Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-05-22 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This line works for me:
(set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)

but not this line
   (add-hook 'compilation-mode-hook
             (lambda () (set-process-coding-system 'utf-8)))

Thanks,

@ 2007-05-22 14:16   ` Nordlöw