all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What's really new with Emacs 22?
@ 2007-05-15  3:11 Drew Ames
From: Drew Ames @ 2007-05-15  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi All,

I'm relativly new to Emacs; I've been using version 21.4 for the past
six months or so. I've learned how to load isp files like
longlines.el, and I've started learning how to set up my .emacs file
to customize Emacs to be just the way I like it. I'm even posting this
message from Gnus.

I'm interested in version 22, but I'm also very confused by what I'm
reading on the emacs web page. I go to the page, and it says, "The
next release will have __many new features__, but no one specific
essential feature."

Fine. That means that the next version is a series of
refinements. But, what I click on "many new features" the page takes
me to a "news" page on a CVS server. The news makes little sense to me
as a newbie, there are "empty log messages" and "update for CVS"
messages.

The information on that page has nothing to do with "many new
features" and everything to do with a development log. I've been
looking for a while, but haven't found a concise list of new features
in Emacs 22. I saw some new features mentioned in the thread above,
"Emacs 21 or Snapshot?"

Is there a better list somewhere? Is it possible to list the
improvements?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

-Drew

* Re: What's really new with Emacs 22?
@ 2007-05-15  5:10 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-05-15  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Ames wrote:

> I'm interested in version 22, but I'm also very confused by what I'm
> reading on the emacs web page. I go to the page, and it says, "The
> next release will have __many new features__, but no one specific
> essential feature."
>
> Fine. That means that the next version is a series of
> refinements. But, what I click on "many new features" the page takes
> me to a "news" page on a CVS server. The news makes little sense to me
> as a newbie, there are "empty log messages" and "update for CVS"
> messages.

Hopefully, you should now find that said link points to a more useful
target.

* Re: What's really new with Emacs 22?
@ 2007-05-15  6:36 ` fang.lungang
From: fang.lungang @ 2007-05-15  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 15, 11:11 am, Drew Ames <d...@HP-Desktop.none> wrote:
> Hi All,

> I'm interested in version 22, but I'm also very confused by what I'm
> reading on the emacs web page. I go to the page, and it says, "The
> next release will have __many new features__, but no one specific
> essential feature."
>
> Fine. That means that the next version is a series of
> refinements. But, what I click on "many new features" the page takes
> me to a "news" page on a CVS server. The news makes little sense to me
> as a newbie, there are "empty log messages" and "update for CVS"
> messages.
>
> The information on that page has nothing to do with "many new
> features" and everything to do with a development log. I've been
> looking for a while, but haven't found a concise list of new features
> in Emacs 22. I saw some new features mentioned in the thread above,
> "Emacs 21 or Snapshot?"
>
> Is there a better list somewhere? Is it possible to list the
> improvements?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Drew

You were taken to the cvs repository of Emacs source code. What you
saw was the version infomation of a file named NEWS. That file
contains news you are interested.
You'll want to click [view] of certain revision (or the lastest one)
of that file to find out what's really new.

Regards,

Fang lungang

* Re: What's really new with Emacs 22?
@ 2007-05-16 17:10 ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2007-05-16 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This blog post has some nice info on it:
http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2006/06/shiny-and-new-emacs-22.html

* Re: What's really new with Emacs 22?
@ 2007-05-18  0:05   ` Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2007-05-18  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer schrieb:
> This blog post has some nice info on it:
> http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2006/06/shiny-and-new-emacs-22.html

Thx for this interesting link!!!

Greets,
Christian