all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Font lock for #if 0 ... #endif
@ 2007-05-15  1:50 gamename
From: gamename @ 2007-05-15  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Everyone,

Sometimes in my C routines,  I do

#if 0
<code>
#endif

to temporarily skip compilation of code (mostly for debugging
purposes).

How can I change fontlock to recolor the region to something obvious?

Thanks,
-T

* Re: Font lock for #if 0 ... #endif
@ 2007-05-16  6:13 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-05-16  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: namesagame-usenet; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > Sometimes in my C routines,  I do
 >
 > #if 0
 > <code>
 > #endif
 >
 > to temporarily skip compilation of code (mostly for debugging
 > purposes).
 >
 > How can I change fontlock to recolor the region to something obvious?

I won't recommend doing that in font-lock - the region could be too
large to be handled efficiently.  Try hide ifdef (hideif.el): If you
don't like the ellipses you could use overlays to "recolor the region."

* Re: Font lock for #if 0 ... #endif
       [not found] <mailman.726.1179297177.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-18 15:11 ` gamename
From: gamename @ 2007-05-18 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 15, 11:13 pm, martin rudalics <rudal...@gmx.at> wrote:
>  > Sometimes in my C routines,  I do
>  >
>  > #if 0
>  > <code>
>  > #endif
>  >
>  > to temporarily skip compilation of code (mostly for debugging
>  > purposes).
>  >
>  > How can I change fontlock to recolor the region to something obvious?
>
> I won't recommend doing that in font-lock - the region could be too
> large to be handled efficiently.  Try hide ifdef (hideif.el): If you
> don't like the ellipses you could use overlays to "recolor the region."

Ok.  I guess it really isn't possible to do what I wanted to anyway.

-T

* Re: Font lock for #if 0 ... #endif
@ 2007-05-18 21:29 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-05-18 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: namesagame-usenet; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > Ok.  I guess it really isn't possible to do what I wanted to anyway.

Add the following lines to your .emacs:

(require 'hideif)

(defun hide-ifdef-region-internal (start end)
   (remove-overlays start end 'face 'font-lock-warning-face)
   (let ((o (make-overlay start end)))
     (overlay-put o 'face 'font-lock-warning-face)))

(defun hif-show-ifdef-region (start end)
   "Everything between START and END is made visible."
   (remove-overlays start end 'face 'font-lock-warning-face))

Save and (evaluate .emacs or) restart Emacs, open the file of
your choice, and do

M-x hide-ifdefs

* Re: Font lock for #if 0 ... #endif
       [not found] <mailman.828.1179524023.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-24 23:49 ` gamename
From: gamename @ 2007-05-24 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Excellent!

Thanks for the help. :)

-T
martin rudalics wrote:
> > Ok.  I guess it really isn't possible to do what I wanted to anyway.
>
> Add the following lines to your .emacs:
>
> (require 'hideif)
>
> (defun hide-ifdef-region-internal (start end)
>    (remove-overlays start end 'face 'font-lock-warning-face)
>    (let ((o (make-overlay start end)))
>      (overlay-put o 'face 'font-lock-warning-face)))
>
> (defun hif-show-ifdef-region (start end)
>    "Everything between START and END is made visible."
>    (remove-overlays start end 'face 'font-lock-warning-face))
>
> Save and (evaluate .emacs or) restart Emacs, open the file of
> your choice, and do
>
> M-x hide-ifdefs

* Re: Font lock for #if 0 ... #endif
@ 2007-05-25  5:54   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-25  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: gamename <namesagame-usenet@yahoo.com>
> Date: 24 May 2007 16:49:56 -0700
>
> Excellent!
>
> Thanks for the help. :)
>
> -T
> martin rudalics wrote:
> > > Ok.  I guess it really isn't possible to do what I wanted to anyway.
> >
> > Add the following lines to your .emacs:
> >
> > (require 'hideif)
> >
> > (defun hide-ifdef-region-internal (start end)
> >    (remove-overlays start end 'face 'font-lock-warning-face)
> >    (let ((o (make-overlay start end)))
> >      (overlay-put o 'face 'font-lock-warning-face)))
> >
> > (defun hif-show-ifdef-region (start end)
> >    "Everything between START and END is made visible."
> >    (remove-overlays start end 'face 'font-lock-warning-face))
> >
> > Save and (evaluate .emacs or) restart Emacs, open the file of
> > your choice, and do
> >
> > M-x hide-ifdefs

Martin, how about extending hideif to allow this as an option?  It
sounds like a good feature.

TIA

* Re: Font lock for #if 0 ... #endif
@ 2007-05-29 12:29 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-05-29 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel

 > Martin, how about extending hideif to allow this as an option?  It
 > sounds like a good feature.

Please have a look at the attached patch.

[-- Attachment #2: hideif.patch --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3611 bytes --]

*** progmodes/hideif.el	Tue Jan 23 06:41:08 2007
--- progmodes/hideif.el	Tue May 29 14:13:08 2007
***************
*** 242,250 ****
      (end-of-line 2)))

  (defun hide-ifdef-region-internal (start end)
!   (remove-overlays start end 'invisible 'hide-ifdef)
    (let ((o (make-overlay start end)))
!     (overlay-put o 'invisible 'hide-ifdef)))

  (defun hide-ifdef-region (start end)
    "START is the start of a #if or #else form.  END is the ending part.
--- 242,253 ----
      (end-of-line 2)))

  (defun hide-ifdef-region-internal (start end)
!   (remove-overlays start end 'hide-ifdef t)
    (let ((o (make-overlay start end)))
!     (overlay-put o 'hide-ifdef t)
!     (if hide-ifdef-shadow
! 	(overlay-put o 'face 'hide-ifdef-shadow)

*** 256,262 ****

  (defun hif-show-ifdef-region (start end)
    "Everything between START and END is made visible."
!   (remove-overlays start end 'invisible 'hide-ifdef))

  ;;===%%SF%% evaluation (Start)  ===
--- 259,265 ----

  (defun hif-show-ifdef-region (start end)
    "Everything between START and END is made visible."
!   (remove-overlays start end 'hide-ifdef t))

  ;;===%%SF%% evaluation (Start)  ===
***************
*** 726,736 ****

  (defun hif-hide-line (point)
    "Hide the line containing point.  Does nothing if `hide-ifdef-lines' is nil."
!   (if hide-ifdef-lines
!       (save-excursion
! 	(goto-char point)
! 	(hide-ifdef-region-internal (line-beginning-position)
! 				    (progn (hif-end-of-line) (point))))))

  ;;;  Hif-Possibly-Hide
--- 729,739 ----

  (defun hif-hide-line (point)
    "Hide the line containing point.  Does nothing if `hide-ifdef-lines' is nil."
!   (when hide-ifdef-lines
!     (save-excursion
!       (goto-char point)
!       (hide-ifdef-region-internal
!        (line-beginning-position) (progn (hif-end-of-line) (point))))))

  ;;;  Hif-Possibly-Hide
***************
*** 815,836 ****

  ;;;###autoload
  (defcustom hide-ifdef-initially nil
!   "*Non-nil means call `hide-ifdefs' when Hide-Ifdef mode is first activated."
    :type 'boolean
    :group 'hide-ifdef)

  ;;;###autoload
  (defcustom hide-ifdef-read-only nil
!   "*Set to non-nil if you want buffer to be read-only while hiding text."
    :type 'boolean
    :group 'hide-ifdef)

  ;;;###autoload
  (defcustom hide-ifdef-lines nil
!   "*Non-nil means hide the #ifX, #else, and #endif lines."
    :type 'boolean
    :group 'hide-ifdef)

  (defun hide-ifdef-toggle-read-only ()
    "Toggle `hide-ifdef-read-only'."
    (interactive)
--- 818,849 ----

  ;;;###autoload
  (defcustom hide-ifdef-initially nil
!   "Non-nil means call `hide-ifdefs' when Hide-Ifdef mode is first activated."
    :type 'boolean
    :group 'hide-ifdef)

  ;;;###autoload
  (defcustom hide-ifdef-read-only nil
!   "Set to non-nil if you want buffer to be read-only while hiding text."
    :type 'boolean
    :group 'hide-ifdef)

  ;;;###autoload
  (defcustom hide-ifdef-lines nil
!   "Non-nil means hide the #ifX, #else, and #endif lines."
    :type 'boolean
    :group 'hide-ifdef)

+ ;;;###autoload
+ (defcustom hide-ifdef-shadow nil
+   "Non-nil means shadow text instead of hiding it."
+   :type 'boolean
+   :group 'hide-ifdef)
+
+ (defface hide-ifdef-shadow '((t (:inherit shadow)))
+   "Face for shadowing ifdef blocks."
+   :group 'hide-ifdef)
+

@ 2007-06-09 22:24 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-06-09 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Sometimes in my C routines,  I do
>>
>> #if 0
>> <code>
>> #endif
>>
>> to temporarily skip compilation of code (mostly for debugging
>> purposes).
>>
>> How can I change fontlock to recolor the region to something obvious?

> I won't recommend doing that in font-lock - the region could be too
> large to be handled efficiently.

Actually, you may be able to get something efficient by placing
a "comment-fence" syntax on those two elements from
c-font-lock-syntactic-keywords.  But this can be tricky.