all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Config highligt in EMACS
@ 2007-05-03 12:09 anders
From: anders @ 2007-05-03 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have added the follow in my .emacs files
but EMACS don't turn do anyting visually.

(setq global-font-lock-mode t)

if i use M-x global-font-lock-mode
it say's turning of so Emacs thinks it is on,

after that i can type

M-x global-font-lock-mode

To turn it on manually and then it works

I looks like it is turned on from the configfile
but noting is done, but if i do OFF/ON
manully it is  working.

any other configs as

(global-hl-line-mode 1) ;; Mark current line
(setq standard-indent 2) ;; Indent size 2
(setq-default indent-tabs-mode t) ;; Use tab
(setq make-backup-files nil) ;; No backupfiles

Work fine..

any ide ?
(i use emacs remotly on a Linux machine)

* Re: Config highligt in EMACS
@ 2007-05-03 12:48 ` Holger Sparr
From: Holger Sparr @ 2007-05-03 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

anders wrote:

> I have added the follow in my .emacs files
> but EMACS don't turn do anyting visually.
>
> (setq global-font-lock-mode t)
>
> if i use M-x global-font-lock-mode
> it say's turning of so Emacs thinks it is on,

With `setq' you are setting the variable.

,----[ C-h v global-font-lock-mode RET ]
| global-font-lock-mode is a variable defined in `font-core.el'.
| Its value is t
|

| Documentation:
| Non-nil if Global-Font-Lock mode is enabled.
| See the command `global-font-lock-mode' for a description of this minor-mode.
| Setting this variable directly does not take effect;
| either customize it (see the info node `Easy Customization')
| or call the function `global-font-lock-mode'.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| [back]
`----

With M-x global-font-lock-mode you are calling the function instead.

,----[ C-h f global-font-lock-mode RET ]
| global-font-lock-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `font-core.el'.
| (global-font-lock-mode &optional arg dummy)
|
| Toggle Font-Lock mode in every buffer.
| With prefix arg, turn Global-Font-Lock mode on if and only if arg is positive.
| Font-Lock mode is actually not turned on in every buffer but only in those
| in which `turn-on-font-lock-if-enabled' turns it on.
|
| [back]
`----

* Re: Config highligt in EMACS
@ 2007-05-03 13:00   ` anders
From: anders @ 2007-05-03 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 3 Maj, 14:48, Holger Sparr <sparr+use...@mfk.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
> anders wrote:
> > I have added the follow in my .emacs files
> > but EMACS don't turn do anyting visually.
>
> > (setq global-font-lock-mode t)
>
> > if i use M-x global-font-lock-mode
> > it say's turning of so Emacs thinks it is on,
>
> With `setq' you are setting the variable.
>
> ,----[ C-h v global-font-lock-mode RET ]
> | global-font-lock-mode is a variable defined in `font-core.el'.
> | Its value is t
> |

> | Documentation:
> | Non-nil if Global-Font-Lock mode is enabled.
> | See the command `global-font-lock-mode' for a description of this minor-mode.
> | Setting this variable directly does not take effect;
> | either customize it (see the info node `Easy Customization')
> | or call the function `global-font-lock-mode'.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> |
> | [back]
> `----
>
> With M-x global-font-lock-mode you are calling the function instead.
>
> ,----[ C-h f global-font-lock-mode RET ]
> | global-font-lock-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `font-core.el'.
> | (global-font-lock-mode &optional arg dummy)
> |
> | Toggle Font-Lock mode in every buffer.
> | With prefix arg, turn Global-Font-Lock mode on if and only if arg is positive.
> | Font-Lock mode is actually not turned on in every buffer but only in those
> | in which `turn-on-font-lock-if-enabled' turns it on.
> |
> | [back]
> `----
>
> --

Tanks now it works !!