all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Frames without multiple windows on X
@ 2007-05-02 12:01 Giacomo Graziosi
       [not found] ` <mailman.114.1178121395.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Giacomo Graziosi @ 2007-05-02 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
I just started to use Emacs as C/C++ environment. I come from Eclipse
so I'm used to work with multiple layouts: I plan to to use Gud with
multiple windows on the first layout ( http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7967/emacsframe1fg6.jpg
) and ECB+files being edited on the second layout (
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3792/emacsframe2fq5.jpg ). It seems
that there are two ways to get this: ElScreen (
http://www.morishima.net/~naoto/software/elscreen/ ), and Emacs
frames. Unfortunately I have problems with both of them: ElScreen
shows some really bad behaviours (having gdb output in ECB windows is
not really comfortable) and each Emacs frame needs an X window that is
a thing that I _really_hate_from_the_bottom_of_my_heart_ :-).
Do you know any other way (avoiding emacs -nw, if possible) ?
Oh, I was almost forgetting: I'm on GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (x86_64-pc-
linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.11).

Thank you.
Giacomo Graziosi.

* Re: Frames without multiple windows on X
@ 2007-05-02 15:55 ` Amy Templeton
       [not found] ` <mailman.114.1178121395.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-05-02 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Giacomo Graziosi wrote:
> I just started to use Emacs as C/C++ environment. I come from Eclipse
> so I'm used to work with multiple layouts: I plan to to use Gud with
> multiple windows on the first layout ( http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7967/emacsframe1fg6.jpg
> ) and ECB+files being edited on the second layout (
> http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3792/emacsframe2fq5.jpg ). It seems
> that there are two ways to get this: ElScreen (
> http://www.morishima.net/~naoto/software/elscreen/ ), and Emacs
> frames. Unfortunately I have problems with both of them: ElScreen
> shows some really bad behaviours (having gdb output in ECB windows is
> not really comfortable) and each Emacs frame needs an X window that is
> a thing that I _really_hate_from_the_bottom_of_my_heart_ :-).
> Do you know any other way (avoiding emacs -nw, if possible) ?
> Oh, I was almost forgetting: I'm on GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (x86_64-pc-
> linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.11).

Hmmm...well, if you're asking what I think you are, you
might could put each frame layout in a register (for
example, "C-x r w 1" would store one screen layout, which
could later be accessed with "C-x r j 1"). Out of curiosity,
what is going on on the left-hand side of that first
picture?

Amy

@ 2007-05-02 16:25   ` Giacomo Graziosi
From: Giacomo Graziosi @ 2007-05-02 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 2, 5:55 pm, Amy Templeton <amy.g.temple...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmmm...well, if you're asking what I think you are, you
> might could put each frame layout in a register (for
> example, "C-x r w 1" would store one screen layout, which
> could later be accessed with "C-x r j 1"). Out of curiosity,
> what is going on on the left-hand side of that first
> picture?
>
> Amy

It looks like what I was looking for, thank you!
There is only a sample ECB session on the left of the first
screenshot.

* Re: Frames without multiple windows on X
@ 2007-05-02 16:56     ` Giacomo Graziosi
From: Giacomo Graziosi @ 2007-05-02 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 2, 6:25 pm, Giacomo Graziosi <g.grazi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like what I was looking for, thank you!

I doesn't work perfectly: start gdb > display other windows (to make
it look like http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3792/emacsframe2fq5.jpg
) > save layout on register 1 (C-x r w 1) > C-x 1 on the central
window to expand it > start ECB > save layout on register 2 (C-x r w
2). Now I can switch easily to each frame but if I try to move on the
first register (C-x r j 1) and then try to expand the central window
(C-x 1) I don't get what I expect: the two windows on the top of the
Gud interface are "mixed", take a look on this screenshot
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9356/emacsregister1ko9.jpg .