all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* fullscreen mode in xfce4
@ 2007-04-17 21:50 Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-04-17 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I'm running xfce4.  When I start my first Emacs frame with the option
--fullscreen it works like a charm.  But I'd like to open other frames
in the same session in fullscreen mode as well.  How can I achieve
this?  The window manager offers his own maximise method but then I
still have a window manager frame around my Emacs frames 8-(.
--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: fullscreen mode in xfce4
@ 2007-04-17 22:48 ` Daniel Rubin
From: Daniel Rubin @ 2007-04-17 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dieter Wilhelm wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm running xfce4.  When I start my first Emacs frame with the option
> --fullscreen it works like a charm.  But I'd like to open other frames
> in the same session in fullscreen mode as well.  How can I achieve
> this?  The window manager offers his own maximise method but then I
> still have a window manager frame around my Emacs frames 8-(.

Hi Dieter,
I discovered it just a few days ago myself (reading this list): Do
   M-x customize-variable RET default-frame-alist
and set a parameter `fullscreen' to value `fullboth'.
(A note on window managers: I'm using icewm and by pressing
Alt-F11 I get fully maximized windows--no borders, no title bar,
just no space wasted. Maybe xfce has a similar feature?)

Have fun
----Daniel

--
Daniel Rubin
daniel warum-ada de

* Re: fullscreen mode in xfce4
@ 2007-04-18  5:12   ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-04-18  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Rubin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel Rubin <daniel@warum-ada.de> writes:

> Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm running xfce4.  When I start my first Emacs frame with the option
>> --fullscreen it works like a charm.  But I'd like to open other frames
>> in the same session in fullscreen mode as well.  How can I achieve
>> this?  The window manager offers his own maximise method but then I
>> still have a window manager frame around my Emacs frames 8-(.
>
> Hi Dieter,
> I discovered it just a few days ago myself (reading this list): Do
>   M-x customize-variable RET default-frame-alist
> and set a parameter `fullscreen' to value `fullboth'.

Thanks a lot, exactly what I was looking for.

> (A note on window managers: I'm using icewm and by pressing Alt-F11 I
> get fully maximized windows--no borders, no title bar, just no space
> wasted. Maybe xfce has a similar feature?)

Probably, but I've also other issues with lots of key bindings (M-})
not sent to Emacs.  Maybe I'll go back to Openbox.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: fullscreen mode in xfce4
@ 2007-04-18 20:35     ` Karl Hegbloom
From: Karl Hegbloom @ 2007-04-18 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dieter Wilhelm; +Cc: Daniel Rubin, help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 07:12 +0200, Dieter Wilhelm wrote:

> Probably, but I've also other issues with lots of key bindings (M-})
> not sent to Emacs.  Maybe I'll go back to Openbox.

I get around that, with any window manager, by binding all of the window
management keys to use the <Super> (windows logo) instead of <Alt>

* Re: fullscreen mode in xfce4
@ 2007-04-18 22:26 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-18 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Help  [help-gnu-emacs]

In KDE/GNOME how can I pass to fullscreen without restarting the editor with --fullscreen?

* Re: fullscreen mode in xfce4
       [not found] <mailman.2247.1176935520.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-19 11:15 ` Alexander Zhukov
From: Alexander Zhukov @ 2007-04-19 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

 AS> In KDE/GNOME how can I pass to fullscreen without restarting the
 AS> editor with --fullscreen?

In KDE (at least v .3.5.*) you can press left button of your mouse on
the left upper corner of the Emacs window and there in one of submenus
(may be even the in first one) you should find magical fullscreen
command. Then you can try it. It works for me.

Of GNOME I know nothing.

--
Alexander Zhukov

* Re: fullscreen mode in xfce4
@ 2007-04-19 12:57   ` Alexey Pustyntsev
From: Alexey Pustyntsev @ 2007-04-19 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alexander Zhukov <zuav@yandex.ru> writes:

>  AS> In KDE/GNOME how can I pass to fullscreen without restarting the
>  AS> editor with --fullscreen?
>
> In KDE (at least v .3.5.*) you can press left button of your mouse on
> the left upper corner of the Emacs window and there in one of submenus
> (may be even the in first one) you should find magical fullscreen
> command. Then you can try it. It works for me.
>
> Of GNOME I know nothing.
>
> --
> Alexander Zhukov

Isn't that controlled by the window manager being used?
I think, you should find out what window manager you are using and
look through its documentation. You may also try to change your
default window manager.
If you prefer things to go fullscreen all the time, consider using
'Ratpoison'. It's very reliable and simple but if you code and want to
concentrate on the problem Ratpoison may help a lot because it really
prevents your system from deflecting you.

--
Rgds
Alexey

Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 36th day of Discord in the YOLD 3173