all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cvs emacs questions
@ 2007-04-16  1:46 knubee
       [not found] ` <mailman.2112.1176694165.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: knubee @ 2007-04-16  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have installed cvs version of emacs following the instructions on
emacswiki:

  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co
emacs
  cd emacs

  ./configure
  make bootstrap

  make
  make install

The new install seems to be mostly working, but I have a couple of
questions:

1. Keeping this version up to date. I realize I need to run "cvs ...
update" -- but do I also need to do the rest of the steps above after
each update (ie, "./configure" and "make bootstrap" etc.)?

2. I realize there are many changes between emacs 21.4 and 22, but are
there any major changes that require me to deal with add-on packages
(such as VM or BBDB) in a new way? For example, changes to default
locations of files, etc.?

thanks.

* Re: cvs emacs questions
@ 2007-04-16  3:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.2112.1176694165.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-04-16  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "knubee" <knubee@gmail.com>
> Date: 15 Apr 2007 18:46:05 -0700
>
> 1. Keeping this version up to date. I realize I need to run "cvs ...
> update" -- but do I also need to do the rest of the steps above after
> each update (ie, "./configure" and "make bootstrap" etc.)?

See the file INSTALL.CVS, it should explain this.

> 2. I realize there are many changes between emacs 21.4 and 22, but are
> there any major changes that require me to deal with add-on packages
> (such as VM or BBDB) in a new way? For example, changes to default
> locations of files, etc.?

You should probably upgrade each of these extra packages to their
latest versions.  Also, look in etc/NEWS and etc/PROBLEMS for entries
relevant to those packages.

* Re: cvs emacs questions
       [not found] ` <mailman.2112.1176694165.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-16  4:56   ` knubee
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2120.1176710850.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: knubee @ 2007-04-16  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > 1. Keeping this version up to date.
>
> See the file INSTALL.CVS, it should explain this.

Ah, got it. Thanks.

> You should probably upgrade each of these extra packages to their
> latest versions.

Yes. However, it looks as if the default installation for ./configure
created the following:

/usr/local/share/emacs/22.0.97/site-lisp

I'm using Ubuntu and I believe the emacs apps (e.g, auctex) that I
install via apt look in

/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp

Am I wrong about this? If not, what's the best way to handle it?

thanks.

* Re: cvs emacs questions
@ 2007-04-16  8:02     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2120.1176710850.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-04-16  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knubee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.04.2007 um 06:56 schrieb knubee:

> /usr/local/share/emacs/22.0.97/site-lisp

This is meant for only a particular version of GNU Emacs ...

> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp

... and this is a more general place for GNU Emacsen. The variables
load-path describes where GNU Emacs looks for ELisp files to load. So
if neither VM nor BBDB claim to be made for only a particular
version, you should install their updated versions in the general place.

It's similar to the emacs binary: you have /usr/local/bin/emacs and
also /usr/local/bin/emacs-22.0.97 ...

--
Greetings

   Pete     === -Q
              ==<__/% >>
_____________(_)____@_____________________________

* Re: cvs emacs questions
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2120.1176710850.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-16  8:32       ` knubee
From: knubee @ 2007-04-16  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
>
> ... and this is a more general place for GNU Emacsen. The variables
> load-path describes where GNU Emacs looks for ELisp files to load. So
> if neither VM nor BBDB claim to be made for only a particular
> version, you should install their updated versions in the general place.

Ah, ok, got it. I'll just ensure my load-path has what it needs.
thanks.