all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Where is config?
@ 2007-04-09  9:09 Grigory Temchenko
From: Grigory Temchenko @ 2007-04-09  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello!

I'm beginner in emacs and I use win32 platform. And I have a trouble.
I can't find my config file for emacs. In manuals I've read that
config file names '.macs', but I can't find it on my hard disk.
Please help me to search out it.
Thanks.

Grigory

* Re: Where is config?
@ 2007-04-09  9:40 ` Tim X
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Tim X @ 2007-04-09  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Grigory Temchenko" <soid.exe@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I'm beginner in emacs and I use win32 platform. And I have a trouble.
> I can't find my config file for emacs. In manuals I've read that
> config file names '.macs', but I can't find it on my hard disk.
> Please help me to search out it.
> Thanks.

I don't run win32, but I think under win32, the config file name for emacs is
_emacs rather than .emacs.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Where is config?
@ 2007-04-09  9:58 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-04-09  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grigory Temchenko; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Grigory Temchenko wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm beginner in emacs and I use win32 platform. And I have a trouble.
> I can't find my config file for emacs. In manuals I've read that
> config file names '.macs', but I can't find it on my hard disk.
> Please help me to search out it.
> Thanks.
>
> Grigory

Please see http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryDotEmacs

* Re: Where is config?
@ 2007-04-09 10:10 ` Leo
       [not found] ` <mailman.1857.1176112912.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.1858.1176113687.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2007-04-09 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-04-09, Grigory Temchenko said:

> Hello!
>
> I'm beginner in emacs and I use win32 platform. And I have a trouble.
> I can't find my config file for emacs. In manuals I've read that
> config file names '.macs', but I can't find it on my hard disk.
> Please help me to search out it.
> Thanks.
>
> Grigory

It is
,----
| user-init-file is a variable defined in `C source code'.
| Its value is
| "/home/leo/.emacs.d/init"
|

| Documentation:
| File name, including directory, of user's initialization file.
| If the file loaded had extension `.elc', and the corresponding source file
| exists, this variable contains the name of source file, suitable for use
| by functions like `custom-save-all' which edit the init file.
| While Emacs loads and evaluates the init file, value is the real name
| of the file, regardless of whether or not it has the `.elc' extension.
`----

Regards,

* Re: Where is config?
       [not found] ` <mailman.1857.1176112912.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-09 10:47   ` Grigory Temchenko
From: Grigory Temchenko @ 2007-04-09 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 9, 1:58 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please seehttp://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryDotEmacs

Thanks a lot.
I've understood my problem by that link. I haven't permissions to
write on my disk. My home directory for emacs is just 'c:/' and it
can't create a config file there. I've solved it using command
argument '--user=<my config file>'.

* Re: Where is config?
@ 2007-04-09 12:11     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1862.1176120903.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-04-09 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grigory Temchenko; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Grigory Temchenko wrote:
> On Apr 9, 1:58 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
> <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Please seehttp://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryDotEmacs
>
> Thanks a lot.
> I've understood my problem by that link. I haven't permissions to
> write on my disk. My home directory for emacs is just 'c:/' and it
> can't create a config file there. I've solved it using command
> argument '--user=<my config file>'.

Sounds like you are using Emacs 21.3. The next version Emacs 22 is in
very late beta test and will soon be released. If you can then I think
you should upgrade now, the new version is much improved:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryWThirtyTwo

* Re: Where is config?
       [not found] ` <mailman.1858.1176113687.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-09 14:19   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-04-09 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2007-04-09, Grigory Temchenko said:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I'm beginner in emacs and I use win32 platform. And I have a trouble.
>> I can't find my config file for emacs. In manuals I've read that
>> config file names '.macs', but I can't find it on my hard disk.
>> Please help me to search out it.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Grigory
>
> It is
> ,----
> | user-init-file is a variable defined in `C source code'.
> | Its value is
> | "/home/leo/.emacs.d/init"
> |

> | Documentation:
> | File name, including directory, of user's initialization file.
> | If the file loaded had extension `.elc', and the corresponding source file
> | exists, this variable contains the name of source file, suitable for use
> | by functions like `custom-save-all' which edit the init file.
> | While Emacs loads and evaluates the init file, value is the real name
> | of the file, regardless of whether or not it has the `.elc' extension.
> `----
>
> Regards,

I'm confused. What has the above got do with what he was asking for
which is ~/.emacs isn't it?

* Re: Where is config?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1862.1176120903.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-09 14:35       ` Grigory Temchenko
From: Grigory Temchenko @ 2007-04-09 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Sounds like you are using Emacs 21.3. The next version Emacs 22 is in
> very late beta test and will soon be released. If you can then I think
> you should upgrade now, the new version is much improved:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryWThirtyTwo

Ok, I'll see it tonight. When I've visited official site I thought
emacs slowly decreasing (last version is 2004 year ago), but on your
link I've seen much novelty. It's great. Thank you!

* Re: Where is config?
@ 2007-04-09 15:05     ` Grigory Temchenko
From: Grigory Temchenko @ 2007-04-09 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 9, 6:19 pm, Hadron <hadronqu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm confused. What has the above got do with what he was asking for
> which is ~/.emacs isn't it?

I might not know what is ~/ I should know what is My Computer icon.

P.S. %-)

* Re: Where is config?
@ 2007-04-09 15:17   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-04-09 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>
> Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 19:40:22 +1000
>
> I don't run win32, but I think under win32, the config file name for emacs is
> _emacs rather than .emacs.

Only if .emacs cannot be found.  If .emacs does exist, it is used in
preference to _emacs.  See the Emacs manual for the details.

* Re: Where is config?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1862.1176120903.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-09 15:33     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-04-09 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Grigory Temchenko" <soid.exe@gmail.com>
> Date: 9 Apr 2007 03:47:29 -0700
>
> I've understood my problem by that link. I haven't permissions to
> write on my disk. My home directory for emacs is just 'c:/' and it
> can't create a config file there. I've solved it using command
> argument '--user=<my config file>'.

Caution: this might be subtly different from actually having a .emacs
file in the home directory.  It is better to set the HOME environment
variable to point to a directory to which you do have write access,
and store your .emacs file there.

* Re: Where is config?
@ 2007-04-09 20:30       ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2007-04-09 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Grigory Temchenko wrote:
> On Apr 9, 6:19 pm, Hadron <hadronqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm confused. What has the above got do with what he was asking for
>> which is ~/.emacs isn't it?
>
> I might not know what is ~/ I should know what is My Computer icon.
>
> P.S. %-)

Grigory,

~/  is your home directory on Unix-type OSes. Unix uses / as
the directory separator, MS-Windows uses \

~/ is equivalent to c:\Documents and Settings\<user name> on MS-Windows.

To set the home environmental variable select (from memory, might not be exactly correct),
select

Start/Settings/Control Panel
System entry
Advanced tab
Environmental Variables button

You should have two lists of variables, the top is for yourself,
and the bottom for other users of your machine.

Select "Add new variable" for the top list,
enter "HOME" for the name, and
"c:\Documents and Settings\Grigory\Application Data"
for the value, assuming you log into MS-Windows as "Grigory"

You can open "~\.emacs.el" in emacs;
emacs will expand ~\ to the correct directory.

BTW,
are you running MS-Windows Vista?
IIRC, it causes some issues with Emacs,
there should be more information on the wiki,
or you can search the web/this usenet group.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.