all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using Putty/ssh w/stored key and emacs still asks for password
@ 2007-03-12 18:55 gamename
From: gamename @ 2007-03-12 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I've pre-defined public keys in my "~/.ssh/authorized_keys2" file so
that I can ssh to these machines without requiring a password every
time.  This is mostly to allow scripting with minimal hassle.

For some reason, even though the ssh session starts fine and no
password is required, emacs asks for a password anyway.  How can I
stop that?

Thanks,
-T

* Re: Using Putty/ssh w/stored key and emacs still asks for password
@ 2007-03-13 10:02 ` Ismael Valladolid Torres
       [not found]   ` <mailman.871.1173789063.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ismael Valladolid Torres @ 2007-03-13 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gamename; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

gamename escribe:
> I've pre-defined public keys in my "~/.ssh/authorized_keys2" file so
> that I can ssh to these machines without requiring a password every
> time.  This is mostly to allow scripting with minimal hassle.
>
> For some reason, even though the ssh session starts fine and no
> password is required, emacs asks for a password anyway.  How can I
> stop that?

Probably simply authorized_keys is the right name for the file.

Nevertheless after years of using it, I find Cygwin's ssh pretty more
comfortable from a command line or Emacs than Putty. Being both of
them very nice pieces of software nevertheless.

Cordially, Ismael
--
Ismael Valladolid Torres  m. +34679156321
La media hostia           j. ivalladt@gmail.com

http://lamediahostia.blogspot.com/

* Re: Using Putty/ssh w/stored key and emacs still asks for password
@ 2007-03-13 12:10   ` AriT93
       [not found]   ` <mailman.871.1173789063.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: AriT93 @ 2007-03-13 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ismael Valladolid Torres; +Cc: gamename, help-gnu-emacs

Ismael Valladolid Torres writes:
 > gamename escribe:
 > > I've pre-defined public keys in my "~/.ssh/authorized_keys2" file so
 > > that I can ssh to these machines without requiring a password every
 > > time.  This is mostly to allow scripting with minimal hassle.
 > >
 > > For some reason, even though the ssh session starts fine and no
 > > password is required, emacs asks for a password anyway.  How can I
 > > stop that?
 >
 > Probably simply authorized_keys is the right name for the file.
 >
 > Nevertheless after years of using it, I find Cygwin's ssh pretty more
 > comfortable from a command line or Emacs than Putty. Being both of
 > them very nice pieces of software nevertheless.
 >
 > Cordially, Ismael
 > --
 > Ismael Valladolid Torres  m. +34679156321
 > La media hostia           j. ivalladt@gmail.com
 >
 > http://lamediahostia.blogspot.com/

I previously had the same issues with authorized_keys, I switched to using
pagaent from the PuTTY distribution to act as ssh-agent and that seemed to solve it for me.  HTH
--

enjoy every sandwich

           -- W. Zevon

@ 2007-03-22 18:06     ` gamename
From: gamename @ 2007-03-22 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 13, 5:10 am, AriT93 <ari...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ismael Valladolid Torres writes:
>
>  > gamename escribe:
>  > > I've pre-defined public keys in my "~/.ssh/authorized_keys2" file so
>  > > that I can ssh to these machines without requiring a password every
>  > > time.  This is mostly to allow scripting with minimal hassle.
>  > >
>  > > For some reason, even though the ssh session starts fine and no
>  > > password is required, emacs asks for a password anyway.  How can I
>  > > stop that?
>  >
>  > Probably simply authorized_keys is the right name for the file.
>  >
>  > Nevertheless after years of using it, I find Cygwin's ssh pretty more
>  > comfortable from a command line or Emacs than Putty. Being both of
>  > them very nice pieces of software nevertheless.
>  >
>  > Cordially, Ismael
>  > --
>  > Ismael Valladolid Torres  m. +34679156321
>  > La media hostia           j. ivall...@gmail.com
>  >
>  >http://lamediahostia.blogspot.com/
>  >
>  >
>  > help-gnu-emacs mailing list
>  > help-gnu-em...@gnu.org
> I previously had the same issues with authorized_keys, I switched to using
> pagaent from the PuTTY distribution to act as ssh-agent and that seemed to solve it for me.  HTH
> --
>
> enjoy every sandwich
>
>            -- W. Zevon

That did it. :)  Thanks!